Need recommendations

yooper

Need recommendations
« on: 12 May 2007, 07:33 pm »
I'm wondering if the Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamplifier have a sub out?  I have a Velodyne DD15 I would like to continue to use for HT, but would not use for music.

I'm also thinking of buying the Fet Valve 550, ditch my current pre-pro and 5 channel amp, and use a two channel system for HT as well.  Anything else I should consider buying from Frank?

Thanks

Wayner

Re: Need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 07:42 pm »
There is no sub output. There are 2 sets of line outs, however. As a T8 owner, (listening to it right now), I highly recommend it. Great for vinyl as well. Team that up with a 550ex and you will have some serious listening to do!

aa

yooper

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 07:49 pm »
Thanks Wayner,

Please pardon my ignorance, as I have not owned a pre-amp such as this.  With the line outs you mentioned, does this allow me to somehow integrate a sub?

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2007, 08:02 pm »
yooper,

There is no ignorance involved! Welcome to the world of AVA. I Think Frank could answer this better, and he probably will after he gets done watching NASCAR, (is that still on?). I don't run any subs.

W

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2007, 08:35 pm »
yooper,

The short answer is yes. You can use one set of outputs for your amplifier, and the other set of outputs for your powered sub. You might check with Frank as to the minimum impedence the T8 will drive, however, due to the fact that many subs have a low input impedence..like maybe 10Kohms. Driving a Fet Valve amp is, of course, an easy load. :)

WEEZ

ps: to calculate the load....(input z amp 1) X (input z amp 2) Divided by (input z amp 1) + (input z amp 2)

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
WEEZ is absolutely correct, thank you.  Your powered subwoofer should have stereo line level inputs.  You will need to find out what the input impedance of these are.  We would not want a vacuum tube preamp to have to drive much less than a 10 thousand ohm input impedance.

Note that the Ultra hybrid preamps have a very low (560 ohm) output impedance and can drive lower amplifier input impedances easily.

All new AVA preamplifier have two sets of audio outputs to allow driving a main amplifier and a second amplifier or subwoofer amplifier too.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine