Best/Worst Vinyl Labels........

Wayner

Best/Worst Vinyl Labels........
« on: 12 May 2007, 07:30 pm »
I often wonder how many bands would have had a different future if they had signed with a different label. I think there are several labels that constantly come up with horrible recordings, while other labels seem to be stellar in every offering. What's your take?

Labels I do not like: ABC Dunhill, Columbia (They do have some fantastic recordings, but not many IMHO).
Labels I like: A&M, Atlantic (some bad recordings though), Nonesuch, Blue Note, Acoustech.

Just to name a few.

W

WEEZ

Re: Best/Worst Vinyl Labels........
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 08:49 pm »
For Jazz, CTI, Pablo, Vanguard, etc. are usually good. It's really hit and miss with rock. I agree that some bands would have likely done better with better recordings and pressings. The Electric Flag is one of them. Still like the music, though :rock:

Ever listen to 'Eat A Peach' from the Allman brothers on vinyl? Capricorn Records (Warner Bros.)  :shake:

WEEZ

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 09:23 pm »
The ECM label, especially the German pressings, are consistently outstanding, IMHO. Quiet, dynamic, with tons of detail.
                                                                            Don

In The Groove

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 03:19 am »
Classic Records is one of my favorites for jazz and classical.  I have 40 reissues and they are all superb.
APO is great on jazz and some pop like Yes Fragile.
Chesky is good for OOP classical.

Mobile Fidelity has, however, the best sound of them all in my opinion.  The AKUS Live is stellar.