Powerpac 300

onthefly

Powerpac 300
« on: 12 May 2007, 03:18 pm »
After a recent disappointing experience with the Bryston importer I now find myself 4B-less.  For the short time I did own it I was extremely impressed, so much so I may have to calm down and purchase another.  However, I was looking over the Bryston website and noticed the powerpacs.

Am I right in thinking a powerpac 300 is basically a 4B SST without the large case?

Are the powerpacs C series spec?

:scratch:

Phil A

Re: Powerpac 300
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 03:56 pm »
The power pacs are mono amps so I'd say that 2 300's are the same as the 4BSST.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 04:14 pm »
HI,

Yes the PP300 is essentially a 4B Channel. The only difference is the 4B has a bit more heat-sink so it can run a little cooler into really low impedance difficult loads.

james

johnsosn

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2007, 10:43 am »
Does the 4b have a better power supply?
Regards

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2007, 11:05 am »
The Power Supply is the same on the PP300 SST and the 4B SST.

james

onthefly

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 07:05 pm »
Is a Powerpac 300 to C series spec or just SST?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2007, 08:01 pm »
Is a Powerpac 300 to C series spec or just SST?

HI,

C-Series (just cosmetic change) is the same as SST and the PP300 is a SST (C-Series) model.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2007, 06:41 am »
By the way, to the OP (and anyone else who's used the Powerpac 300's), if you go with the Powerpacs, please do post your comments? I've been looking at both the 4B-SST and the Powerpac 300's as well - and if the latter sounds as good as the former, I'll probably be buying a couple for myself too... :)

Thunder

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 01:23 am »
^ I own both PP's and 4BSST's and they sound the same to my ears. Keep in mind, the PP's need to be upright to allow for proper cooling. If that is a problem for you, go the 4B route.

onthefly

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2007, 04:02 pm »
By the way, to the OP (and anyone else who's used the Powerpac 300's), if you go with the Powerpacs, please do post your comments? I've been looking at both the 4B-SST and the Powerpac 300's as well - and if the latter sounds as good as the former, I'll probably be buying a couple for myself too... :)

I have just ordered two PP300's so providing PMC don't let me down again I should receive them early next week.  I'll let you know my impressions.  Unfortunately I owned a 4B for literally two days so I won't be able to offer any meaningful comparison .

onthefly

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2007, 02:16 pm »
I was very excited on Saturday morning when I finally collected my 2 PP300's.  Unfortunately this was short lived has it seems I have a Bryston curse.  After my recent problems with a new 4B I was horrified when connecting the PP's to find that all one of them would do was emit a high pitched tone.  I swapped everything from the powercord, speaker cable, balanced lead.  I even tried single ended connection.
To save time getting my dealer and couriers involved I drove the 100 or so miles to the UK importers premises the next working day.  They were extremely helpful and diagnosed the problem within minutes (speaker terminals outputting 90 volts).  They also gave me a new PP.
It gets worse.  One of the drivers of my very expensive speakers was blown by the PP and since I refuse to listen to stereo in mono or watch a film on my home cinema system (all Bryston) with a speaker missing, I now have to wait until my dealer and the UK importer decide whether to authorise a repair under warranty or not.  I don't know how this happens but surely it's nothing more than a phone call between the two parties.

So, so frustrating................. :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:55 pm »
I was very excited on Saturday morning when I finally collected my 2 PP300's.  Unfortunately this was short lived has it seems I have a Bryston curse.  After my recent problems with a new 4B I was horrified when connecting the PP's to find that all one of them would do was emit a high pitched tone.  I swapped everything from the powercord, speaker cable, balanced lead.  I even tried single ended connection.
To save time getting my dealer and couriers involved I drove the 100 or so miles to the UK importers premises the next working day.  They were extremely helpful and diagnosed the problem within minutes (speaker terminals outputting 90 volts).  They also gave me a new PP.
It gets worse.  One of the drivers of my very expensive speakers was blown by the PP and since I refuse to listen to stereo in mono or watch a film on my home cinema system (all Bryston) with a speaker missing, I now have to wait until my dealer and the UK importer decide whether to authorise a repair under warranty or not.  I don't know how this happens but surely it's nothing more than a phone call between the two parties.

So, so frustrating................. :scratch:

My apology sir.
If the Bryston in fact was the cause of the driver failure we will cover the cost for you.

james

onthefly

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:00 pm »
James

I have every faith you will which is why I have bought an SP2 and 9B already this year.  It's just the waiting.  Surely it's just a phone call between dealer and PMC.  My house is silent.............