Mono SE Pics

thetaalpha970

Mono SE Pics
« on: 12 May 2007, 02:16 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a picture or two of my new Mono Xtreme SE's to possibly shed some light on some of the similarities and differences of what is actually being modified in these amps. I don't know much about the technical side of things, but I'm sure of lot of you here do.

Enjoy. :)

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x237/thetaalpha970/?action=view&current=odyssey.jpg

sirquack

• PorterPlex Cinema
Re: Mono SE Pics
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 06:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I'm expecting my Khartago/Stratos Mono SE's very soon.  :rock:

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 09:41 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a picture or two of my new Mono Xtreme SE's to possibly shed some light on some of the similarities and differences of what is actually being modified in these amps. I don't know much about the technical side of things, but I'm sure of lot of you here do.

Enjoy. :)

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x237/thetaalpha970/?action=view&current=odyssey.jpg

Very Nice!it is pretty obvious that your SE's are the Sonicap versions. not all of the modded Amps are the same, mine have the Nichcon Muse caps as do my friend Dangerbird's. i talked to Alex G and His pair of SE's have the Nichicon Muse Capacitors Also. so how do you like your SE's so far ?

mclsound

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2007, 10:24 pm »
i see u picked up that pair from Boston,i am sure there awsome!!let us know the difference in your heart and soul from what u had, to what u have.i am probably one of the most curious.ENJOY!!!!!

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2007, 12:59 am »
and,, my se's are really sounding GOOD,,there is a difference between "out of the box" and a few hours on them,,Klaus was right,,high performance,,, INDEED  aa

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2007, 02:06 am »

I just wanted to post a picture or two of my new Mono Xtreme SE's

Did you get those amps from someone else...

Regards,

Alex

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2007, 02:31 am »

I just wanted to post a picture or two of my new Mono Xtreme SE's

Did you get those amps from someone else...

Regards,

Alex

is it possible that they are " Grey Area" unauthorised Mods ? do they look look like they were done at the workshop in Indy ?  :scratch:

thetaalpha970

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2007, 03:54 am »
Hi Alex,

I got them used. I bought them from the second owner, but there was no indication on behalf of the seller that these  were some sort of unofficial mod. Is there anything I should be aware of?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2007, 06:53 am »
It is one of a total of four pairs of Full Gary's.

Klaus

1000a

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2007, 07:34 am »
Hi Klaus

How bout them Colts!  I did seem to remember you were in Indy, we also talked about formula 1, I will watch the race tomorrow on CBS.

I bought some Nightingales from you I think in 04 some slight demos, still lovin em with my sub, really incredible speakers.  I'm sure you can't place me, you didn't have the boxes and couldn't get them so we did have some slight damage to the terminals from the box throwing dead horses at the shipping agency :deadhorse: 

No sweat it never effected the sound and I will probably replace them with a wood plate rather than the plastic since I have rediscovered soldering the lost art of my childhood slot car days.  :hyper:

Just saw you posted a min back wanted to say hello and I hope you are well.

bunky

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2007, 10:36 am »

Klaus
Bingo! the Legendary Full Gary.

thetaalpha970

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2007, 01:49 pm »
Klaus,

Thanks for the I.D. So the legend is real...but I guess we've progressed beyond the "Full Gary" with the SE's in the sense that there are different capacitors put in, and some people are using the upgraded Gronenberg wiring...are there tangible design differences here, or is it generally just different parts in place of others?

Thanks,

Dave

bunky

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2007, 02:04 pm »
Klaus,

Thanks for the I.D. So the legend is real...but I guess we've progressed beyond the "Full Gary" with the SE's in the sense that there are different capacitors put in, and some people are using the upgraded Gronenberg wiring...are there tangible design differences here, or is it generally just different parts in place of others?

Thanks,

Dave
the SE's do not officialy exist. they are "Special order" only and they are made by request only. Alex G designed and voiced the SE mods using his personal pair of mono extremes.i would suggest a PM to Alex G for a detailed description of the differences between the mono extremes and SE's.thanks....WCW III  :thumb:

lazydays

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2007, 07:45 pm »

Klaus

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gary

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2007, 07:52 pm »
Klaus,

Thanks,

Dave

the night I picked up my monos I had a conversation with Klaus, and he assured me a couple times that mine were not "full garys", and he wasn't building anymore. He also left me with the opinion that the ones I have still were not as good as the "full garys."
Have often wondered just how much better the "full Garys" are than mine (no I'm not even thinking about sending them back in).
gary

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2007, 08:05 pm »
Klaus,

Thanks,

Dave

the night I picked up my monos I had a conversation with Klaus, and he assured me a couple times that mine were not "full garys", and he wasn't building anymore. He also left me with the opinion that the ones I have still were not as good as the "full garys."
Have often wondered just how much better the "full Garys" are than mine (no I'm not even thinking about sending them back in).
gary
i think i remember that the "Full Garys" cost somewhere in the Five grand range according to a conversation that i had with Klaus.

lazydays

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2007, 12:16 am »
Klaus,

Thanks,

Dave

gary
i think i remember that the "Full Garys" cost somewhere in the Five grand range according to a conversation that i had with Klaus.

if my feeble memory serves me right it seems that Klaus said that just rounding up all the parts was more trouble than it was worth. That and taking into the total labor and cost was the reason he stopped building them. He said that mine had a couple power supply tweaks besides the full tilt boogie, but what and why escapes me. Tobe exact looking at the pics of the insides of the amp was the first time I've ever known what it looks like. For me there is no reason to ever open them up. And besides I've seen the damage that huge caps can do to when not bled down correctly (think July Fourth).
     The person that bought these amps has the "Holy Grail" of the Odyssey world, and all we can do is be envious. I hope he has the forethought to lay his hands on a good tube preamp. Once he has that, the sky will open up for him.
gary

W.C.

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2007, 02:34 pm »
Quote from: thetaalpha970 link=topic=40901.msg#msg date=
Klaus,

Thanks,

Dave

The "Full Gary" Upgrade consisted of parts of the highest quality. Every component in the signal path was replaced with the highest quality available,  including components that at the time were  just becoming available. This was a cost no object project. They are also biased much more into class A and the heat sinks are 60% more efficient. And they still sound GREAT!!!!