Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s...wow!

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s...wow!
« on: 12 May 2007, 02:43 am »
I've spent the last couple of days with these speakers, and they're my new favorites.  These modest-looking 2-way floorstanders project a HUGE and DEEP soundstage, incredible detail, and amazingly deep bass.  They're a tiny bit recessed in the midrange, but that may be the Exposure 3010S still breaking in.  (I did pair the Gibbons with my Dignity Audio 300B monoblocks, however, and still felt that reticence in the mids.)

I heard the Gibbon 9s at CES, and they were pretty fab, too.  Even bigger sound and deeper bass than the Super 8s. 

Devore Fidelity makes wonderful speakers!!!

contrarian

Re: Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s...wow!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 03:36 am »
I suspect the 'reticence' you hear is coming from somewhere else in your system.

In my system, they are slightly forward sounding in the midrange, which I prefer.  I've heard others comment on them being slightly forward also.

Regardless, they are subtly great speakers and very revealing of any upstream anomalies.

Enjoy

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 04:11 am »
Hard to say, since my system is in such a state of flux right now.  Then again, I've been listening to Zu Audio Druid mk. IVs for the last eighteen months, and they can be VERY forward. 

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2007, 04:23 am »
I also have the Gibbons way out into the room...nearly six feet from the back walls.  When I moved them back, they did sound a bit more forward.  They also lost that incredibly deep soundstage.