Online Hi-Fi?

ysokol78

Online Hi-Fi?
« on: 11 May 2007, 10:10 pm »
I'm loosing focus, there is so much stuff online, how do you tell what's what? I want to compare 3 - 4 online stores, what are the more popular ones?

warnerwh

Re: Online Hi-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 05:54 am »
Personally my favorite online store is Audiogon. Though it's actually more used gear than new I feel the most for your money can be had from there. Used gear in the high end world is generally engineered very well. Also owners tend to take good care of their stuff. If you're new to this then that's the first place you should look after you learn what you want to get.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2007, 10:47 pm »
Welcome,

Audiogon gives a rating system for sellers, which is vital for retailers.  Most of the vendors here at Audio Circle also live and die by the word of mouth that is posted.  They're small enough to sell direct (and save the huge retail mark-ups). 

Its hard to compare retailers/vendors as they rarely carry the same brands.  Most folks focus on types of product (solid state vs. tube, digital vs. vinyl, standmount vs. floorstanding) then move into subsets of each or brands, then follow the professional reviews and user word of mouth.  Once you've done all that narrowing down, there's very little choice of where to buy.

If you're looking at mass marketed stuff, I'd shop by price, return policy, and service.  Where possible, I'd like to support my local merchant, but they don't carry much that holds any interest to me.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2007, 10:55 pm »
Welcome to the daunting new paradigm of hi-fi.  In some ways it is no more daunting than before, in some ways more so.  Basically, you need to do your homework and read, read, read and read some more.  If you are lazy and that isn't your thing, then you pay your $$ and you take your chances.  Hopefully though you can take advantage of their money back trial period to get a meaningful audition. 

What are you thinking about?  Price?  Type of music?  How loud do you listen?  How big is your room?  What can of sound are you hoping to achieve?

Tebeleva

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2007, 08:18 pm »
If I want to buy middle price hi-fi systems with turntable and total budget about 5-6K

-Richard-

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 06:42 pm »
Hi Tebeleva ~

I have a suggestion... which I am suggesting entirely out of affection and respect for your
search.

Lower the amount that you are willing to spend to below $3000. In fact I would say below
$2000. I am entirely serious about my suggesting this to you.

That will create the necessary tension that will force you (in the best sense of that word) to be
infinitely more careful in your search parameters.

I have put together what might be described as a killer sounding audio playback system for
less than $2000. And that is accounting for everything!!!

How? But that is exactly the starting point I am suggesting for you... what my system consists
of is of little importance as far as I am concerned. The important thing here is to learn.

It is all about learning what is out there and where your own interests lie. This sounds simple
enough. But actually it is not. There is a mine-field of hype and calculated misrepresentation.

My first recommendation... get beyond the audio jewelry stage that is so seductive and enticing...
and think about working with and supporting "cottage-industry" audio designers... they are
doing fabulous work at a fraction of the cost of the hyped audio stars. Also a bit of DIY here
and there is good for you... just to get your hands used to holding materials and seeing behind
the screen of illusion thrown up by advertising media.

Am I being too demonstrative here? Well... I am sharing my own right-of-passage into this
very interesting "hobby."

Good luck in your journey, Tebeleva.

Warmest Regards ~ Richard