Hooking up two sets of speaker cables (w/spades) to an Ultra 550Ex

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Has anybody done this?

I have concerns about doing this given the very tight placement of the binding posts to each other and to the heatsinks.

Thanks,

George

« Last Edit: 12 May 2007, 12:29 am by zybar »

avahifi

I have concerns about this too, as I have seen the combination of gonzo spade lugs, tightened with a pipe wrench, break jacks clean off.

My strong recommendation:  use banana plugs, Pomona Dual banana plugs in particular.  If they are good enough for most science research labs in the country, they ought to be good enough for audio.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

The jacks are on 3/4 inch spacing with each other on purpose, that is the dimension of dual banana plugs.

Frank

zybar

• Volunteer
I have concerns about this too, as I have seen the combination of gonzo spade lugs, tightened with a pipe wrench, break jacks clean off.

My strong recommendation:  use banana plugs, Pomona Dual banana plugs in particular.  If they are good enough for most science research labs in the country, they ought to be good enough for audio.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank,

I fully understand your concern with people overtightening things and breaking the posts.  That's why I am very careful and hand tighten. 

While I understand why you placed the posts where you did (to allow for dual banana plugs), your placement severely limits the ability to add a single set of spades, let alone two sets of spades.

George

avahifi

Two sets of stacking Pamona double banana plugs work just fine.  :)

Frank

tonyptony

George, I've never found any difference between plugs and spades, and Frank is right. The way the back of the FetValve is designed makes it just easier to use multiple double bananas. That's what I do. Works fine.

And while you're at it, send that 550EXR back to Frank so he can upgrade it to an Ultra! You'll be glad you did!  :thumb:

ricmon

This seems like a good time to make a suggestion.  Lets state right up front that none of these suggestions will make on bit of a difference in the sound.  And as far I as the sound goes I can't be happier.  But concerning the binding post the RCA connectors and the power cord.  IMHO  I feel that it would just give all us die hard AVA fans that that extra sense of "hey look at what I got as well as listen to what I got" or more to the point it just a feel good thang.  And I suspect with your buying power it would only add a little to the price.  So Mr. V what do you think?

Ric

jmc207

I've hooked up two sets of cables to an AVA amp before by using spades on one cable and banana's on the other cable. You might find some banana's that you could attach one set of spades to. Audioquest dual banana's work okay like this. Monster cable X-Terminator banana's work well with spade lugs. Also had the amp close to the back of the amp stand so that the spade connected cables didn't have to bend much. Using two sets of spades directly would be tricky.

daveshel

Oh, you mean two.

zybar

• Volunteer

yooper

While not wanting to get off topic, I must. 

Zybar, I am truly looking forward to your impressions of Franks 550.  At less than half the price of the recently discussed Moscode 401HR, it will be interseting indeed!   aa 

zybar

• Volunteer
While not wanting to get off topic, I must. 

Zybar, I am truly looking forward to your impressions of Franks 550.  At less than half the price of the recently discussed Moscode 401HR, it will be interseting indeed!   aa 

Only if I can get my speaker cables connected safely... :duh:

George

yo2tup

any success?

toobluvr

While it can be argued that in theory, using adapters will degrade the sound, but how's about something along these lines as a solution?  Lesser of 2 evils, maybe?

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/HTML/how_to_vampire_SB_adapter.html
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 04:19 pm by toobluvr »

zybar

• Volunteer
Yes, I have both pairs of speaker cables attached.

One pair is connected directly to the binding posts and the other pair is connected to XLO dual banana plugs.

I will give some thoughts (not a full blown review) this weekend.

George

yooper

George,

Will you still be posting your thoughts, or perhaps you decided not to?

Thanks,

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
I just posted some initial thoughts and comments here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39206.msg371385;topicseen#new

Hopefully I can get a full review completed soon.

George