Name that speaker

mcullinan

Re: Name that speaker
« Reply #120 on: 14 Jun 2007, 03:50 pm »
It has a nice meaning but the name does nothing for my ears, just my opinion of course, which I had to toss in.
Mike

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #121 on: 15 Jun 2007, 11:52 am »
How about this:
You take the name Dennis Murphy. Use a "e" and a "n" from his name.
Then you say that the speaker is the  "Jar of inebriation" ... or JOI and add "En" = Enjoi ...
And the speaker name could be  The Concord D'enjoi ... A shortening of "The Concord Dennis Enjoi"

A possible meaning: "The completely exhilarating and simultaneously harmonious vessel of notes playing in perfect harmony - by D.Murphy..."

:D

Imperial
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2007, 12:11 pm by Imperial »

mcullinan

« Reply #122 on: 15 Jun 2007, 11:57 am »
Hey that sounds awesome. Its got my vote.
Mike

Do we get to vote on the final name?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #123 on: 15 Jun 2007, 01:30 pm »
>Do we get to vote on the final name?

Not if you're sober. 

mcullinan

« Reply #124 on: 15 Jun 2007, 01:47 pm »
Dam! I better start drinking..... hehe

One Grey Goose on the Rocks please....  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mike

VW

« Reply #125 on: 16 Jun 2007, 11:59 am »
How about a name that conveys strength and majesty ( & heavenly sound ) -  Zeus DM1's ( as Dennis' creation ) or Zeus 1.5's ( or whatever ).  They certainly look majestic and I think the name should be short and sweet - as mentioned in an earlier post, the speakers will speak for themselves.

Mudslide

« Reply #126 on: 16 Jun 2007, 01:36 pm »
Okay...one more submission...

I really like the elegance of the new speaker and racked my 1/2 functioning brain to come up with a name that would convey that elegance of sight and sound.  Then...like a kiss from the breeze it came... :duh:...why not the word itself?!...."Elegance".

You gotta like this one!   

tvyankee

« Reply #127 on: 16 Jun 2007, 04:43 pm »
hello

when do you think this speaker will be ready for sale?

thanks

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #128 on: 16 Jun 2007, 10:25 pm »
Just reposting the pic. As a reminder of the look.

Balsam for the listener...
Veracity I.S.O.P = Inner Spa, Outer Pleasure...
Isop itself is namely just that... Another word for it is Hyssop. The medical plant of old!
It improves the yield of grapewine to mention one thing... Yup... read here: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/hyssop

My very last name suggestion!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2007, 11:01 pm by Imperial »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #129 on: 16 Jun 2007, 11:02 pm »
My vote out of the names so far is Symphony.
I'm not aware of it having been used, it isn't ostentatious or pretentious, and it relates to the same Greek root sumphonos, meaning "harmonious" or, more literally "together sound", if I'm not mistaken,

jsalk

« Reply #130 on: 17 Jun 2007, 01:53 pm »
tvyankee -

hello

when do you think this speaker will be ready for sale?

thanks

The design is complete.  In order to meet our target price, cabinets will be built off-shore to our specifications.  We have forwarded cabinet drawings to the vendor and are waiting for information as to delivery schedules and finish options.  We will post information as soon as it is available, at which time we will start accepting pre-orders.

In the mean time, we have had numerous requests from people who did not want to wait.  So we decided to offer a limited number of pairs in either black satin lacquer or pearwood finishes.  In order to be able to keep costs under control and still offer these at our price target, they will feature black satin baffles for the upper driver section of the cabinets.

- Jim

tvyankee

« Reply #131 on: 17 Jun 2007, 02:34 pm »
hey jim

does this mean the ones you are selling now won't look like the ones in the pic's?

also could this design be done with a ribbon instead of a dome? and what would be the price difference?

sorry about all the ?'s but I'm thinking of getting a pair for myself.

thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #132 on: 17 Jun 2007, 04:07 pm »
tvyankee -

hey jim

does this mean the ones you are selling now won't look like the ones in the pic's?

For interim cabinets we can build at this point in time, the black satin lacquer version could look exactly like the prototypes.  For the veneered cabinet, we would have to make some adjustments.  As you will notice, the prototype cabinets feature a round-over on all the front edges (to minimize diffraction artifacts).  This was accomplished by trimming the front edges of the side and top panels with solid wood.  We them veneered the cabinets (over this hardwood trim) and after that was accomplished, rounded over the edges, exposing the underlying hardwood.

But this is too labor intensive for a $1495 speaker.  So for the pearwood veneered version that we can build right now, we would simply veneer a rectangular cabinet with no solid wood trim.  This means we can't round over the front edges without exposing the underlying MDF.  But we still want a round-over on the cabinet sides and top in the area of the drivers.  The solution is to use an extra MDF baffle on the top section of the cabinet housing the drivers.  Since this extra baffle would be finished in black satin lacquer, it could be rounded over. 

So the result would be a pearwood cabinet with a black baffle and appropriate edge treatments. 

We could always do a cabinet similar to the prototype and eventual production cabinets, but the cost would be higher since more labor would be involved.  In essence, this would essentially be the same speaker in a custom cabinet.  In that case, it could be done in virtually any veneer you see on any of our other models. 

I hope this makes sense, but if not, feel free to ask additional questions.

also could this design be done with a ribbon instead of a dome? and what would be the price difference?

Well, that would be a completely different design and may not even be possible.  It would certainly require a different cabinet (to accommodate the ribbon tweeter) and a completely new crossover.  We already have a few MTM models with ribbon tweeters, so I'm not certain we need another ribbon-based MTM.  For example, the MTM version of our HTS speakers could be done in a floor-standing cabinet and would result in a speaker much like you are asking for.

As for modifying this design to incorporate a ribbon tweeter, it probably wouldn't work anyway.  The crossover point is most likely too low for a ribbon.  Ribbons are somewhat limited in terms of effective bottom-end extension.  This design required the Hiquphon OW2 rather than the OW1 because Dennis needed more extension on the bottom end of the tweeter response than the OW1 would allow.  So my guess is that if the OW1 could not play low enough, a ribbon tweeter couldn't either.

That is the nature of speaker design.  In order to achieve a great design, the performance of all of the components must match up properly.

sorry about all the ?'s but I'm thinking of getting a pair for myself.

thanks.

Not a problem.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #133 on: 17 Jun 2007, 04:39 pm »
I was wondering when someone would bring up a ribbon version.  My objectives for this speaker were a small-as-possible physical presence, a tightly focused midrange and lower treble, and drop-in alternative tweeters so that we could offer one version at an absolutely rock bottom price with no fuss or muss.  All of this pointed toward the 0W2 and Vifa dx19 3/4" dome tweeters.  (I chose the 0W2 rather than the 0W1 because the former is a little more sensitive and can keep up with two CA15 woofers--the 0W1 can't quite do it.  The response curves are otherwise identical.)  Using a ribbon would bump up the price and require a taller cabinet with perhaps different proportions.  Because the CA15 has such a smooth top end, I actually could use a crossover point that was safe for a ribbon.  But I'm not convinced the overall sound would be better given the wider woofer placement.  Plus, as Jim points out, we already have a ribbon MTM.  At some point you just have to stop proliferating models and try to build and market what you have as effectively as possible.  Jim must be getting tired of building and shipping prototype cabinets for me to play with.

jsalk

« Reply #134 on: 17 Jun 2007, 05:04 pm »
Of course Dennis is right.  It was the sensitivity and not the extension that was the basis for the choice of the OW2.  Working on so many models, I sometimes forget exactly why decisions were made.  Sorry for the confusion.

Another note on substituting a ribbon tweeter...  This would involved a different tweeter cutout and different driver spacing (as Dennis noted).  That defeats the purpose of mass-producing cabinets to keep the costs low.  So it doesn't really make sense.

If a person wanted an MTM design with a ribbon tweeter, I would suggest the Veracity HT2's or HTS MTM design in a floor-standing cabinet.  If a person wanted a TL enclosure with a ribbon tweeter, the Veracity QW is a phenominal performer.

- Jim

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #135 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:07 pm »
Maybe Jim and Dennis should name this speaker Voldemort, because apparently It Cannot Be Named. :-)

A lot of people have approached the task of naming this speaker from a lot of different directions. That's a good thing from a brainstorming standpoint, but it doesn't have seemed to produced a satisfactory name in this case (at least not yet).

If you're still looking for suggestions, maybe it would help if Jim could provide some more direction on what he's looking for, and for the type of names that fit into his long-term corporate strategy. (I'm doubt this is the last new speaker you will introduce, so the naming problem will occur again).

"Veracity" seems to be the Salk's primary line. Is "Veracity" reserved from Salk-designed speakers? Several of the suggestions for this new speaker have started with "Veracity" (like Veracity Concord, etc.) Are those names acceptable or not?

Then there is the "HTS" line, the "V-series" (which consists of one speaker so far), and the single "EXT" speaker. Are those "line names" intended to convey any meaning (general performance levels, like a premium line versus a standard line versus a budget line)? Should this new speaker be part of the V-series or HTS lines?

Do you prefer the names that "veracity" that are synonyms for accuracy, honesty, etc.? Or do you prefer more tech-sounding acronyms or names that include numbers?

Ron

Mudslide

« Reply #136 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:25 pm »
Aw, we'll keep trying on the names.....

Transmission Line Speaker = "Conductor" 

....  or perhaps "Cantelli" named after the famous Guido Cantelli (plus it's Italian AND generic enough for copyright purposes  :)) or "Toscanini".

weirdo

« Reply #137 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:53 pm »

they are tall and woody so they look like timber so how bout

TIMBRE

jsalk

« Reply #138 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:19 pm »
Ron and everyone who participated...

Maybe Jim and Dennis should name this speaker Voldemort, because apparently It Cannot Be Named. :-)

A lot of people have approached the task of naming this speaker from a lot of different directions. That's a good thing from a brainstorming standpoint, but it doesn't have seemed to produced a satisfactory name in this case (at least not yet).

If you're still looking for suggestions, maybe it would help if Jim could provide some more direction on what he's looking for, and for the type of names that fit into his long-term corporate strategy. (I'm doubt this is the last new speaker you will introduce, so the naming problem will occur again).

"Veracity" seems to be the Salk's primary line. Is "Veracity" reserved from Salk-designed speakers? Several of the suggestions for this new speaker have started with "Veracity" (like Veracity Concord, etc.) Are those names acceptable or not?

Then there is the "HTS" line, the "V-series" (which consists of one speaker so far), and the single "EXT" speaker. Are those "line names" intended to convey any meaning (general performance levels, like a premium line versus a standard line versus a budget line)? Should this new speaker be part of the V-series or HTS lines?

Do you prefer the names that "veracity" that are synonyms for accuracy, honesty, etc.? Or do you prefer more tech-sounding acronyms or names that include numbers?

Ron

If we don't have a good name by now, then it is unlikely that we'll ever have one.  The fact is, there have been many suggestions that are very good.  Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion.  Your input has been extremely valuable.

Now it is time to sort through the list and make a selection.  I would like to take a little time and select all the names that appear to be viable candidates.  Then it will be easier to make a final selection.

Dennis suggested that "Salk" be somehow attached to the speaker since most people will refer to it as the "Salk _____".  While I was not intially comfortable with this, I guess that is the reality of the situation.

Since the Veracity name applies to our flagship line of speakers, that will not be part of the final name. 

Years ago I learned a few things about naming products.  First, most all names will sound a bit odd at the onset.  For example, the name "Veracity" sounded quite strange until we started using it.  Now I no longer give it any thought.  In fact, it would be strange to refer to that line by any other name. 

Second, once you attach a name and start using it, it soon becomes part of the product and sounds quite natural. 

I suspect whatever name we choose will not satisfy everyone, expecially those who consider names they suggested far superior.  But given time, whatever name we choose will sound quite natural.

There were so many good suggestions, I wish we could use all of them.  But I guess we'll have plenty left over for future models.

Thanks again for all of your input.  Much appreciated.

I'll post a message when we make our final selection.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 12:12 am by jsalk »

Toka

« Reply #139 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:45 pm »
Thanks, Jim! If I make one last leap through the blast door before it closes (hey, a Star Wars reference), I'd toss out "Concord TL", since 'Veracity' is out of the mix...seems that its Transmission Line build should be part of the title, to me anyway.  8)