D200 - Anyone compare to Van Alstine Fet Valve?

rockadanny

D200 - Anyone compare to Van Alstine Fet Valve?
« on: 9 May 2007, 09:44 pm »
I thoroughly enjoy my Van Alstine Fet Valve Ultra 550, but it sits in a cabinet and thus requires a fan. And I can hear the fan (not the whir of the blades, but mechanical innards) during soft passages even though it is rated as only 9dB. So I was just curious if anyone has compared the two. And if so, what are the differences in sound? And why do you prefer one over the other?

topround

Re: D200 - Anyone compare to Van Alstine Fet Valve?
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2007, 10:20 pm »
I have never hear the van alstine amp but I have heard the CIA 200's with my Mapletree Ultra 4 SE and it was a GREAT synergy. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the CIA mono blocks just because of the synergy, it is still something that is in the back of my mind.
I love my VTL, really do, but to simplify and not have to worry about expensive tubes would be a relief. Tube amps are quirky, those mono blocks are just a point and shoot solution.
This is from a big tube lover, I still use tubes, but those Mono block CIA's were real nice!!
I see you use a Mapletree pre( AWESOME) I love mine :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I had a Titan sub as well, great sub :thumb:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2007, 10:22 pm »
If you have a couple of inches above the amplifier, and open space behind it, you should not need the fan.  Heat sink temps of 165F during loud play is normal.  We have never seen an amp that has failed for thermal reasons that we could detect.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2007, 11:27 pm »
I sure do like my combination of Frank's T7ECR pre and the CIA D-200's
Might not be the best out there but they sure got me smiling. :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers
                     Charlie

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2007, 12:06 pm »
Topround - Thanks for the "synergy" tip with the Mapletree pre. I'll keep that in mind.

Frank - It's not your gear I'm worried about - your amp is extremely robust and sounds awesome. The heat factor is actually a concern for the other gear in my system. And by the way, thank you for doing such a great job on the Ultra 550: engineering; quality build; and musicality. And of course, your generosity.

Charlie -  And that (smile) is what I am always looking for: drop in a CD, hit PLAY ... are we smilin' yet? Yes? A clear indication of how much I like the sound.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2007, 03:08 pm »
Now that's a comparison I'd like to witness...second only to the D200's & my Marantz Esotec Ma-5 monoblocs! aa