Hear an "all Rega" system?

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Hear an "all Rega" system?
« on: 8 May 2007, 07:50 pm »
If anyone is interested, my stereo has slowly turned into an "all Rega" system [long story]. If anyone in the Baltimore / Washington area is interested in hearing an "all Rega" system, let me know and maybe we can have a few interested people over. The system consists of the following componets:
Rega Mira3
Rega Apollo
Rega Radio3
Rega P5 turntable
Rega Exact2 cartridge
Rega R5 loudspeakers
I have a TT PSU for the P5 on order but have not received it as of today. All cables and interconnects are mid grade Audioquest. In my opinion, the system smokes. Far greater than the sum of it's parts. The Rega's are designed to work best when used together. All in all, very nice music maker!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Hear an "all Rega" system?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2007, 08:06 pm »
Merle,

Should we try for a MAAC gathering at your place?  We can make it a BYO(____) event.  You just supply the room and the gear.  What do you say?

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2007, 08:14 pm »
Merle,

Should we try for a MAAC gathering at your place?  We can make it a BYO(____) event.  You just supply the room and the gear.  What do you say?

Yeah, what woodsyi said.   Seriously I would love to get together with some AC members.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2007, 08:25 pm »
An AC get together sounds good to me [if you guys can stomach Rega gear!]. I hike with my Bro-in-Law every weekend [lost 75 lbs so far!] and he's going out of town in a week or so. Let me confirm which weekend he's gone and we can sit something up for then. I'll call him tonight and post more details this evening.

IronLion

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2007, 09:46 pm »
Where does everybody live?  I'm in downtown DC and could bring a Signature 30 if people want to change the flavor of the sound a bit, that is assuming I'm free that weekend.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2007, 10:17 pm »
Merle's right off 695 on west side of Baltimore.  From Vienna, where I live, it's an hour away.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2007, 02:34 am »
I hike with my Bro-in-Law every weekend [lost 75 lbs so far!]

Right on!  Congratulations.  I lost 40 lbs doing the same.  Eating more natural food, eliminating, junk and beer helped.  Jenny Who?

Zero

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2007, 02:58 am »
I once ran the Mira 3 with a pair of R1's off the PC...   it was a very simple and affordable system that made some great music. Congrats on the gear, Merle.

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2007, 03:14 am »
This is what we call system synergy at its BEST!

Good listening!

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2007, 03:22 am »
I'm running all Naim electronics and love the synergy.  I used to own the Rega Brio 2000 and that was an amazing amp for the $$$.  I have yet to hear anything better at music making at the $500 price point.  I'd love to hear your all Rega system, but I'm too far away.  Maybe next time I'm in the DC area.  I love Rega gear- owned all types (TT's, CD players, Headamps, Amps).  It's not for tweakers though, as Rega together is the shit!

Merle

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2007, 04:22 pm »
I am in the process of re-doing my basement and am not sure if I'm interested in having a full blown meeting, but, if there are a few people interested in hearing the Rega system, this Sunday, May 20th, would be a good day. Let me know.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2007, 03:13 pm »
Merle,

I can't do this Sunday as I have to take my daughter to a Birthday party for her pre-school friend.  There seems to be one every other weekend.  Apparently, the hip thing is to rent a kid gym or pay for every kid to build a bear.  :evil:

Anyway, may be another weekend?

Merle

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2007, 04:50 pm »
I am in the process of trying to re-do my basement. I want to install new carpet and seperate the big television from the stereo system. I believe in a couple of week [mid June maybe?] everything could be completed. I'd be happy to host a full blown meeting with food on the grill and lots of beer and single malt at that time. Hell, if nothing else, just to show off the basement! :) On a side note, I've owned a lot of stereo gear, some quite expensive. I can say at this point the Rega system, while far from being the most spendy system I've ever had in my house, is probably the best "system" I've ever heard [much less owned!]. I continue to be blown away by how it reproduces music, both digital and vinyl. It wasn't cheap but by audiophile standards, clearly a bargin. It absolutly rocks and sounds better each time I fire it up. I think everything is just about properly broken in at this point.

mike53

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2007, 05:52 pm »
If anyone is interested, my stereo has slowly turned into an "all Rega" system [long story]. If anyone in the Baltimore / Washington area is interested in hearing an "all Rega" system...
Far greater than the sum of it's parts. The Rega's are designed to work best when used together.

Congratulations, Merle, on your new system. I have been considering the Mira 3, Apollo and R5s, also. The Rega dealer closest to me has the Apollo so I plan on stopping by for a listen. I'm very curious as to what style of music you prefer, and how it sounds over your Rega set-up. Did you buy it from a local vendor or over the web?

Thanks and enjoy.

Mike

Merle

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2007, 08:14 pm »
Hi Mike. Mine was purchased all new from The Listening Room in Maryland. I'm still just amazed at how well this system makes music. For years, I've been pretty much a classical fan. That being said, I have to admit the Rega system works better for rock than it does classical. Not that it sounds bad at all with classical, it's just that the way it plays rock is just so damm involving. Balance across the board is spot on. This system really does nothing "wrong" and everything sounds good on it. However, if rock is your thing, it's downright amazing. Classical and acoustic music? It's only really, really good. :) If your nearby, swing by for a listen.

mike53

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:33 am »
It's a small world, Merle. Don (a great guy, by the way), at The Listening Room, is who I spoke with regarding the Rega set-up. I am also considering a valve amp and cd player and Don was a wealth of information on this also.
I haven't had a chance to stop by an listen to his latest inventory but as soon as I have the time I'll be paying him a visit.

My musical interests vary from big band/swing to western, rock-a-billy, folk, etc., etc. so I'm looking for a speaker that will best reproduce all of these styles.

Thanks for the invitation, it is most appreciated. Once I get some other business settled maybe I'll have time to stop by to hear you new system.

Take care. Mike

artk

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:47 am »
I just joined AudioCircle having seen this thread. I have a very similar Rega system.

Rega Mira 3
Rega R5's
Rega Apollo
Rega P5 with Dynavector 10x5
REL R205

I use a Yamaha AVR as a tuner for AM/FM/XM and a Denon DVD2910 for 2.1 channel movies.

Have to concur..It's the most enjoyable system I've owned.