Okay, Bubba, it's Tuesday again...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 5 Aug 2003, 07:16 pm »
What will you be picking up today?  I haven't made the daily trip to BB yet, haven't even seen the flyer yet.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2003, 07:33 pm »
Well, there's 4 new SB discs today. I wouldn't mind picking up all 4 of them (The One, Starship Troopers, Vampires, The Quick And The Dead) at some point.

I'll probably pick up Agent Cody Banks as I liked that.

BB is also running a 2 for $20 deal that I might pick up a couple of discs that way. There's also another disc or two coming out this week that I might be picking up but I can't recall what at the moment.

Though I will definitely NOT be buying Bringing Down The House.

I'm thinking of heading out the door in a couple of minutes to hit BB. Should have the "results" of this weeks pickup in an hour... :wink: :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2003, 08:48 pm »
Ended up picking up Cody Banks, Millers Crossing ($10), & Formula 51 ($10). Kinda light, I was expecting to cough up a little more $ than that...

Once again they didn't have any of the new SB titles on the week they're released. :evil:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2003, 12:54 am »
The One, Starship Troopers, Vampires, The Quick And The Dead!  Wow, I didn't see any of them at BB here in SF.  The BB here is often pretty slow to get new SB discs and even then doesn't stock a lot.  Hell, I'll buy all of them, with the exception of "The Quick and the Dead"; I liked it okay but not enough to repurchase at SB pricing.  Starship Troopers is one of my favorite sci fi flicks, so that'll be at the top of the list.  Really love "The One", too.  I wish that there was a SB "Pitch Black" & "The 13th Warrior".

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2003, 12:55 am »
It was just music for me today.  I bought Donald Fagan's "The Nightfly" on DVD-A & a Nickel Creek SACD.  Never heard Nickle Creek, just going on some reviews I read.  The MC bug is biting, tho, and I needed some new stuff.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:10 am »
Pitch Black is Universal, so no SB version of that. The 13th Warrior is Disney, so nada on the SB there as well.

Seems to me that BB gets the SB titles about a week or so late, then only a few of them.

So I'll probably do what I did for the last batch of SB titles and order them from North American DVD.

9/9 we'll see Leon, Lawrence of Arabia, & Hook in SB releases.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:16 am »
If not SuperBit, anyone could do the same thing an give it a different name.  Still, the SB discs I have rock, much better than the standard editions.

bob82274

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:18 am »
Do you have a list of SB (Superbit for those that arn't movie geeks like us and have gotten lost in this thread)?  I only have a couple myself but I think I'll have to get some more.  Starship troopers looks like a goodone to get.  Unfortunately its going to be a couple of weeks before I get any disks.  Drove up to Raleigh and moved me and one of my roommates in and am heading out to San Diego on Thursday so busy week ahead of me.

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2003, 03:25 am »

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2003, 04:56 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list.php?orderBy=Date&reviewType=DVD+Video&searchText=superbit

Doesn't look like quite a complete listing as a few of them are duplicate reviews. So here's the list (what'll be available as of 9/9/03) of all 40 SB titles so far...

Adaptation
Air Force One
Anaconda
Bad Boys
The Big Hit
Bram Stoker’s Dracula
Charlie’s Angels
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Dark Crystal
Das Boot
Desperado
The Fifth Element
From Here To Eternity
Gattaca
Heavy Metal
Heavy Metal 2000
Hollow Man
Hook
John Carpenter’s Vampires
Johnny Mnemonic
A Knight’s Tale
Labyrinth
Lawrence Of Arabia
Legends Of The Fall
Leon - The Professional
The Mask Of Zorro
Men In Black
Men In Black II
The One
Panic Room
The Patriot
Punch-Drunk Love
The Quick And The Dead
Resident Evil
Seven Years In Tibet
Snatch
Starship Troopers
Tommy
Vertical Limit
xXx

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2003, 05:06 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
If not SuperBit, anyone could do the same thing an give it a different name.  Still, the SB discs I have rock, much better than the standard editions.

True, anyone can do the same. But I don't see anyone else even trying as far as I can tell. :( The SB line must not be going over so well with the regular morons that make up the majority of DVD puchases as I don't see them around much. And lately they've been labeled as "compatible with all DVD players" :roll: I guess I'm not dumb enough to even contemplate how they wouldn't be compatible with all DVD players, because I can't fathom that. :scratch:

Quote from: Marbles
I must have clicked on the RIGHT link  :wink:

http://www.adultdvdempire.com/v2_index2.asp?userid=00000369749959&gen_site=&site_id=1

Hmmm... :scratch: What does a SB DVD mean to you Marbles?... :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2003, 05:40 am »
Here's the original "Superbit" version of Starship Troopers. :lol: The Japanese version on LD. I just picked it up off eBay tonight... :thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3341751381

It will definitely sound better than the SB DVD.  :dance: And I bet it'll look better as well. :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2003, 05:47 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Hmmm... :scratch: What does a SB DVD mean to you Marbles?... :lol:

Hey, it was innocent enough on my part, I clicked in Woodseas link and it was the first thing I saw  :o   and I like it!!! :P

I have to ask you though..that laserdisk version of Starship Troopers might be better than the DVD version, but isn't still Starship Troopers?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2003, 05:21 am »
Now they do have "Starship Troopers" and "The One", but still no "Vampires".  I'll be buying both eventually.  My budget for goodies will be stretched thin, though, since season 3 of Babylon 5 comes out Tues (and I haven't bought season 2 yet :oops: ).  So much good stuff that I'm getting a bit backed up.

bubba966

« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2003, 04:12 am »
Quote from: Marbles
I have to ask you though..that laserdisk version of Starship Troopers might be better than the DVD version, but isn't still Starship Troopers?

Owwww, harsh.

Wonder what you'd think of a lot of my collection... :lol:

And Babcock, you let Marbs rag on ST like that? :nono: Bad you.  :lol:

This week at BB I picked up Cradle 2 The Grave (Jet Li couldn't act to save his life, but it was still an enjoyable action flick), Head Of State, and in the 2 for $20 categorey this week I picked up Sum Of All Fears & Changing Lanes.

Hadn't seen Changing Lanes yet, but for $10 it can't be that bad from what I recall hearing.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2003, 05:19 am »
When you kung foo like he do, you don't need to act too! :lol:   I love Jet and Jackie both, although they aren't Oscar material.

"The One" got pretty well raked over the coals by the critics, but fuck 'em, I love it!  Great effects, really believable shots of Jet fighting evil Jet, and awesome fights.  I really dig Carla Gugino, too; very high fox factor.

I did end up getting B5-Season 3.  Ouch, $75.  Also picked up the unrated "Killing Me Softly".  I hope it doesn't suck, but if it does it'll suck with a lot of naked Heather Graham! :wink:

bubba966

Re: Okay, Bubba, it's Tuesday again...
« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:31 am »
Funny, over 3 years later and I still haven't picked up The One, Starship Troopers, Vampires, The Quick And The Dead on SuperBit. :roll:

I'd ordered The One, but that order never ever shipped. :scratch:

Don't know how I haven't picked up Starship Troopers.

Vampires was always a low priority.

The Quick & The Dead  is something that I want to get from Japan. Their SuperBit copy is a longer version of the film.

I guess I should hurry up and get these as it seems that Sony has quit pressing SB discs. :evil:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:34 am »
Really?  I hadn't realized they quit SB.  Damned shame, really.  But then again, hopefully pretty soon everything will start pouring out on BRD & HD-DVD.  I don't have either yet, but I will before too long.  I'm really hoping Denon will come out with a Universal...

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:38 am »
I haven't haeard much of an offical word on the demise of the SuperBit line. But you can't get many of the newer SB discs anymore (like Underowrld) as they didn't press as many of those as they did of the older discs.

I'd guess that might be the reason BB was selling them for $10 each. They probably bought all of Sony's stock up at a good discount...