EAC Hanging Up

datman

EAC Hanging Up
« on: 6 May 2007, 05:14 pm »
I have run into a problem with EAC that I have not read about before.  I am ripping a large classical and jazz CD collection for a friend.  His collection includes a number of CD's from  "small" labels that when inserted into my Sony DDU1615 DVD Rom drive do not read.  The strange thing is that after not reading EAC stops responding.  It does not show up in Windows task manager as a running application, but does show up as a running process that Windows is unable to stop even when I tell it to do so.  The only way out is to re-boot my computer.  This is getting quite old. 

Is there some way to reset EAC when this happens that does not require a re-boot?  Or is there a setting I can change to prevent this from happening?  As it is I am not recording any discs from labels that I don't recognize.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ashok

Re: EAC Hanging Up
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2007, 04:41 pm »
Unfortunately, I do not have a solution to your problem. But the one time EAC hung up on me, it was stuck in error correction mode on a certain track. I could not kill the process, and had to reboot like you did. Anyway, I asked EAC to skip the offending track during the rip, and it chugged along fine after that. Maybe your problem is something similar?

Does the CD play at all in the computer?

Hope you get this resolved,

Ashok

DSK

Re: EAC Hanging Up
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2007, 11:51 pm »
Is there copy protection on these CD's? Do they play OK in other software, such as Windows Media Player etc?

I have a Josh Groban CD ('Josh Groban' 2001, Australian pressing) that no software on my PC recognises (EAC, WMP, Foobar, etc). In EAC, I insert the CD, the drive's read light flickers for a few moments like it is trying to read a CD, but nothing at all comes up on screen to suggest that there is even a CD loaded. Sometimes EAC hangs.

When I look at the non-label side of the CD, near the centre, it says 'D.A.T.A. IFPIL 311 9362481542 A E4'. I believe that this indicates there is copy protection. This is an original legal copy, there is nothing on the outside of the cover or inside the liner notes to suggest that there is any copy protection, yet I can't even play it on a PC let alone burn it onto my PC for playback via SqueezeBox. Bloody Warner Music Australia.