How Many GB Of Music Do You Have Stored On Your HD?

ZLS

I am trying to ascertain how far into the land of crazy I have traveled.  I have 350 plus GB of music on my computer both in FLAC and Apple Lossless.  I wonder if this is typical or excessive? 
    The follow up question is more of a metaphysical one.  Does it really make a difference if you have one or a thousand more CD's that you have HD storage for? Isn't the important factor that you have to make a decision to eliminate something; not how much you have to eliminate?
    I welcome your input.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: How Many GB Of Music Do You Have Stored On Your HD?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2007, 12:27 pm »
I have around 1.2TB of flac files (over 2000 cd's), so 350GB doesn't seem very excessive to me.   :lol:

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2007, 01:22 pm »
I have about 250GB and am not nearly done with my CD's - much less even started transcribing my LPs.  I just haven't added the hard disk(s) yet.  Probably going with 3x 500GB drives in a RAID 5.

Bryan

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2007, 02:08 pm »
I only have about 150GB (all Apple Lossless)...approximately 375 CDs...and about 2000 CDs that I haven't ripped yet.  Rather than sit down and do a marathon ripping session, I basically rip CDs every time I either have an urge to listen to one that I haven't ripped yet or if I buy a new one.  When I rip a CD, I never exclude songs that I don't like because I feel like the whole CD should be there...

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2007, 02:42 pm »
I have 270 GB worth in Apple Lossless. In my collection this is 10,675 songs, 856 albums. For me its about how I like to access my collection. By using iTunes I access parts of my collection I never would have if I was dealing with CD's. Sure did free up a lot of physical space as well. 

I too rip whole discs, never leaving out songs. I still do not download much music due to so little of it being in lossless format. 

:thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2007, 02:58 pm »
I have around 1.2TB of flac files (over 2000 cd's), so 350GB doesn't seem very excessive to me.   :lol:

George

George,

How do you back that up?  I ahve 1.2 TB, but that's on my entire computer, 3 internal hard drives, one external. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2007, 03:03 pm »
I've got about 700 gig (about 300 gig of FLAC, ripped via EAC, another 300 gig of same copied for backup, and about 100 gig of same in AAC 224 lossy in iTunes folder).  I'm not even close to 50% completed, but have the absolute must-have's done at least.  My ripping and FLAC encoding has fallen off to a trickle lately (mostly when I buy a new cd; it is ripped immediately upon wrappper removal), but my listening has shot way up  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2007, 03:14 pm »
2TB, all uncompressed...

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2007, 03:39 pm »
My back-up/archives are stored on 5) external drives ( 3) 330 gig and 2) 250 gig) I have 4 drives in my music server that currently have about 2400 albums on them. If I find myself interested in some album not on the server, I can plug in the external drives to search for it.

This happens very rarely.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2007, 04:06 pm »

George

George,

How do you back that up?  I ahve 1.2 TB, but that's on my entire computer, 3 internal hard drives, one external. 

A mixture of drives (internal and external).  I simply mirror my drives manually.

George

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2007, 04:57 pm »
I have 270 GB worth in Apple Lossless. In my collection this is 10,675 songs, 856 albums. For me its about how I like to access my collection. By using iTunes I access parts of my collection I never would have if I was dealing with CD's. Sure did free up a lot of physical space as well. 

I too rip whole discs, never leaving out songs. I still do not download much music due to so little of it being in lossless format. 

:thumb:

Never been on Oink, have you?

*Tons* of stuff on FLAC. It might take a week or two longer to get something ripped to FLAC than its MP3 counterpart, but they have the best selection of high quality stuff that I've seen.

mfsoa

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2007, 05:39 pm »
Tangential comment:

I was just in Staples and they had external USB hard drives for $90 after rebate for 400G.

Don't recall brand but thought that was a good price.

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2007, 08:13 pm »
I've got 28.5GB of digital stuff.  That's mostly downloads, very little of my CD collection.  Sometimes I will listen to random tunes on shuffle and when I come across something I don't like I'll delete it entirely.  When you are faced with a decision of purchasing additional storage it might be a good time to take account of what music you actually still listen to.  Not easy, of course!

ipy

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2007, 09:58 pm »
I have 200GB of Flac music files or 669 albums/7945 songs.  I have not done ripping all of my CDs ie: only doing the ones that are new & that I like/think of listening from the existing collection.

I recently found Robocopy, a file copying tool which I use to do my back-ups.  I will do this manually &/or using Windows "Scheduled Task" option.
..Robocopy info..
..Scheduled Task info..