Power suggestions for Active Kit 2641's?

kingjamez

Power suggestions for Active Kit 2641's?
« on: 3 May 2007, 02:47 am »
I've got a pair of 2641's that I love, and want to convert them to active by building an individual amplifier module for each one.
Right now I'm leaning toward a 4x100 WRMS per speaker setup with 200 watts going to the extremis and the other 2x100 watts going to the mid range and tweeter. That makes building the amps easy as I can just build the same amp 4 times.

Does that seem reasonable? Should I give the extremis more power at the expense of the elegance of having the same amp everywhere?

-Jim

Kevin Haskins

Re: Power suggestions for Active Kit 2641's?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2007, 04:12 pm »
Power wise that is plenty of overkill, even for the Extremis on the bottom-end.    What are you going to use for a crossover?

kingjamez

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2007, 02:30 am »
Hi Kevin,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't settled on a crossover system yet. I have some boards for active filters that I got in a group buy about a year ago. I'd be nice if I could reuse the original "stock" crossover. I know that it was split up into 3 sections, but I haven't had time to look and see what the impedence numbers would be if the crossover was split in three. I'd have to use some sort of RTA either way.

I'd certainly appreciate any advice on the crossover matter. I really don't want to make a mistake and somehow blow the Extremi given their rarity these days.... which is really ashame as I hadn't yet completed my "dream" surround system and was planning on buying 4 more Extremi when I got around to building the next set of 4 641's or 61's. I hope the new replacement driver has a good timber match as I'd like to fill the rest of my HT with a similar sounding driver.

-Jim

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2007, 05:34 pm »
I'd keep the passive crossover.   You would have to design an active one that matched the transfer function of the stock 2641 for it to work correctly.   In other words you would need measurement gear, modeling software and some experience using it to be successful.   Even then I put in a lot of time on the 2641 and your not going to replicate it easily.

You shouldn't have an impedance problem.   

I've heard a rumor that the Extremis may not die an early death.   Its just a rumor at this point but there is still hope.  :-)

kingjamez

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2007, 07:20 pm »
I'll do that Kevin. I can't begin to try and duplicate what you've done. I simply don't have the experience or test equipment. Passive it is for me.

It would be great if the Extremis doesn't die early... either way I'm starting to save now for the new kits so that I can snag just in case. I've got 4x100 worth of amplifiers built now, but I think I'll hold of on ordering the new kits until I can afford the additional extremis kits that I want.

-Jim