Best DAC maker?

geowak

Best DAC maker?
« on: 29 Apr 2007, 08:33 pm »
Who is making the most musical, natural sounding DAC's now?

I know in the past Burr-Brown was making nice models,  but now I am leaning toward
Wolfson DAC's. The newest Arcam receivers (AVR300 and AVR350) use them and they sound better that what is in Denon and Yamaha to my ears.

Also the Onkyo DX-7555 Cd player is using Wolfson DAC's. Has anybody heard it?

What about the Sharc ones?
Opinions?

THANKX

crooner

Re: Best DAC maker?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2007, 08:48 pm »
AKM seems to be on the spotlight as of late.

I'm partial to traditional ladder DACs (my EAD uses 20 bit Burr-Browns), but Delta Sigmas are sounding pretty good these days...
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2007, 09:04 pm by crooner »

boead

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2007, 09:17 pm »
dSC
Wolfson
NOS ( non-oversampling), Philips TDA1541A, TDA1545 or Analog Devices AD1865N)
Burr Brown’s top end.

Its not just the DAC’s, its the implementation of them.

Arcam use to use multiple dSC’s but due to cost constraints (the Ring dSC’s are very expensive) uses something like 8 Wolfson’s per channel.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:58 am »
It has been stated by some that the best DAC made is manufacruted by Anagram in Switzeland.
The most recognzed name that uses this DAC is the Cambridge Audio Azur 840 (I think that is the model).
In any case, its Cambridge's top model.

NealH

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2007, 01:13 am »
I have not heard all the Dacs but, the implementation, as someone has already stated, is just as important as the type Dac employed.   Never-the-less, of the Dacs that I have listened to the dcs rules the roost.  It's musical delivery is more vinyl like than any other Dac that I have heard, all things considered.  It should be noted that dcs does not use an off-the-shelf Dac like so many others.  They make their dacs.  And, it appears to make a difference.  A big difference in my opinion. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2007, 03:36 am »
All my favorite digital sources use Burr-Brown dacs...

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2007, 04:15 am »
I just bought the Aurum Acoustics CDP and it also uses the Anagram unit. 
I think it is quite good, and the Aurum piece is very good for the money.

It's a very neutral player with a lot of dynamics and very non digital sounding...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2007, 04:59 am »

It's a very neutral player with a lot of dynamics and very non digital sounding...
And I read its a one-piece CD player/preamp..... 8)

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2007, 07:40 pm »

Are you sure it is the Anagram - I thought it was the Analog Devices DAC.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2007, 08:37 pm »
It is an Anagram chip. Good luck Chris it looks like a killer.

rollo

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2007, 08:59 pm »
It does has that chip, heard it at CES this year and by far my favorite room, with their hybrid amp and speakers made a stunning presentation. 8)

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2007, 05:29 pm »
My favorites are AD1853 and BB PCM1704 and 179X series.

I built up the evaluation board for the AK4396 used in the Transporter and others.  I modded it completely - DC-coupled, battery powered, OPA627 op-amps.  It still didn't sound musical to me.

Steve N.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2007, 08:34 pm »
H K is supposed to use it in one of their new players,but sadly it sounds like its not for sale in the states,it would be nice if that changes.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:06 am »

Arcam use to use multiple dSC’s but due to cost constraints (the Ring dSC’s are very expensive) uses something like 8 Wolfson’s per channel.

I use to own the FMJ CD23 which used an IC adaptation of the dSC Ring DAC...
the "real" ring DAC is made entirely of discrete components same as DACs found in Spectron and MSB Technologies products...VERY EXPENSIVE
If I remember correctly the follow-up FMJ CD36 used 4 wolfsons (2 per channel)

The problem with Arcam, Cambridge, Creek, etc... is most use cheap IC opamps such as the OPA2134 in the output stage...smooth but not the most resolving and certainly not creating that magical PRaT "boogie" factor.  After listening to the Bryston BDA-1 I think a discrete output stage contributes a LARGER improvement vs. what DAC is implemented...assuming the circuit layout and ps regulation is handled properly.
 :thumb:

srb

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:27 am »
It has been stated by some that the best DAC made is manufacruted by Anagram in Switzeland.
The most recognzed name that uses this DAC is the Cambridge Audio Azur 840 (I think that is the model).

The Cambridge Audio Azur 840C uses dual Analog Devices AD1955 DACs.  Anagram supplies the Adaptive Time Filtering asynchronous upsampling code that is run by the Analog Devices Black Fin DSP.

Steve

doctorcilantro

« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:34 am »
DACaSmurf, he's the master of all things DAC. Gargamel (Bose) will try to get in your head. Just sit back and ignore his caterwauling.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:27 am »
I've heard a bunch.  My money goes to Scott Nixon.

MttBsh

« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2010, 05:55 pm »
I had a Scott-Nixon Tubedac + with optional power supply for years and loved it, but when I switched to an Audiosector Dac last year there was no comparison. The Audiosector (which I bought used for about $300) was superior in every way, and by a wide margin. It may not be a fair comparison because I bought the Scott Nixon Dac back in 2003, and his products may have improved over the years.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2010, 10:12 pm »
People love the ESS Sabre based DACs.  Its a great chip, but there's more to a DAC than the chip used, as has been mentioned several times.  I've seen a ton of blind recommendations on DACs with this chips in a bunch of forums.  I guess marketing is everything.  Again, its a great chip, but there's more to it than that.

Most of my favorite CD players employ Wolfson DACs.  Rega and Naim to name a few.  The Bryston BCD-1 and BDA-1 are phenominal, and use a Crystal chip. 

Some people questioned why Bryston used that vs an ESS Sabre (calling the Sabre the best chip in the world), and James Tanner stated that the chip made a difference, but not nearly as big a difference as they thought it would.  He said the power supply and output sections made far more difference.  Just some food for thought.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm »
I LOVE my Wavelength Crimson with the Denominator module.

http://usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html