Short review of Timepiece 2.1's...the kid stays in the picture!

Christof

Well it's been about a month now that I've listened to these little giants on a regular basis and I think it's time to comment on them.  I mentioned previously that I am listening in a completely untreated (big) room with minimal furnishings.  A good strong hand clap in my room seems to take forever to decay to nothing.  Because of this, I do not feel comfortable posting an indepth review.  This would be akin to reviewing a high performance sports car when you have only been allowed to drive it in the rain.  I will do my best to factor out the sound qualities of my room, which is pretty darn hard to do.  I can't help but imagine the comb filtering, modal & non modal issues going on in my room are out of control.

I listen at a distance of about 11.5' from the speakers.  The speakers are spaced about 8' apart and toed in such that they cross paths about 18" behind my ears. Following Ethans recommendations I sit at about 38% from the rear wall.  Side walls are about 16-18' away from listening position.  My associated equipment is listen in my signature below.  My Timepieces do have a revised XO but do not have Mundorf upgrades and they currently have the original Seas Aluminum drivers, not the updated Excel black version. 

Here are my observations thus far:

I had two Peerless XLS 12" drivers integrated into the last pair of speakers in my system so my ears were expecting deep bass.  I do not get the deep bass as I did with the XLS drivers but that should go without saying.  I do get bass down into what seems to be the high 20's and it seems much more real and less bloated than before.  Most of the music I listen to involves acoustic instruments so high 20 hz's should cover just about everything and to my ears they do it and do it quick and accurately.  Bass is not gut wrenching but it's not lacking either, even in my large room.  I'm very curious to see what happens to the bass with more muscle behind the amp(s).  I'm using Khartago's which are not feather weights but not heavy weights by anymeans.  I've shut them down on a couple occasions when I've had the wicks turned up pretty high.  I'm also vertically biamping which I suggest people try with these speakers.  The upper bass/midrange is outstanding, almost haunting.  Soundstage is very realistic, making it very clear where the performers are located, not only left to right but front to back.  I attribute this in part to the distance of the side walls from listening position.  I get a bit of confusion horizontally but I know this is because I have untreated maple floors between me and the speakers, this is nothing that a thick Flokati rug will not solve in the near future once the loft is finished & furnished.  I have no issues with the sound of individual instruments/performers sounding as if they are coming from multiple locations.  When listening, I like to pay very close attention to the location of the piano.  Often I can hear a note jump away from location, that is, if the piano is left of center, it may shift location in the soundstage, say to the right a bit, as the pitch changes.  This shift does not happen with the Timepieces.  I can also pick this up by listening to violin but I've not been able to detect even the slightest shift in soundstage with these speakers.  For this reason I say the Timepieces are very "accurate".  Upper midrange is very tight and accurate, again no shift in sound stage.  The transition between the tweeter and bass driver is seamless, I'm not sure how Bob pulls this off, but I love the fact that there is no midrange involved to muddy things up.  I guess these Timepieces go to prove less is more.  I do find that the upper Hz is a little shy.  This could be because of my room, lack of muscle in the amps or speakers, it's hard to say.  Again I listen to alot of acoustic style music with brushes on drums and to my ears it seems the sound is a tad thin.  The upper treble is not "bad" but in the intrest of full disclosure I wanted to express that I feel it should be a just a little more present.  To my ears these speakers sound very flat from bottom to top with just a little dip up top....remembering that my room is not optimal yet, by any means, this could be caused by any number of things.

Overall I'm very impressed with these speakers even though they might be a little small for my room I'd say the kid stays in the picture :thumb:.  Feed them power and they will play accurately at very high SPL's, I can't imagine what a kilowatt would do for these things.  I'm not a studio sound guy but I now understand why Bob markets these to the recording folks.  The Timepieces do their job and deliver the good, bad and ugly just as it is.  Streaming audio via the internet and mp3's are a joke with these speakers.  I always get a smirk on my face when I read people saying this or that speaker performs better than a speaker costing 2x as much... :scratch: okay?!?!....I will say only that I have not a hint of buyers remorse.

I will post a follow up after Bob swaps bass drivers & XO parts, though I can't understand how they could get much better :wink:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2007, 10:15 pm by Christof »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Nice review Christof....thanks for posting. From the photos you posted in the past....that is a big room....which got me thinking....any other AC members in your area ? LaPorte, IN...if I recall. Have speakers....will travel....tho their not the lightest to carry around. Do you wonder how they would sound in a smaller room with different electronics ? Happy listening....enjoy. :thumb:

Chris

Karsten

I do find that the upper Hz is a little shy.  This could be because of my room, lack of muscle in the amps or speakers, it's hard to say.  Again I listen to alot of acoustic style music with brushes on drums and to my ears it seems the sound is a tad thin.  The upper treble is not "bad" but in the intrest of full disclosure I wanted to express that I feel it should be a just a little more present. 

Christof, I had the same feeling and were'nt really sure if information were missing or it was supposed to be like this. Anyway a little experimenting and some assistance from Bob provided an easy solution to this, so it is something which is addressed in the new cross over design.

Regards,
Karsten

TomS

Nice review Christof....thanks for posting. From the photos you posted in the past....that is a big room....which got me thinking....any other AC members in your area ? LaPorte, IN...if I recall. Have speakers....will travel....tho their not the lightest to carry around. Do you wonder how they would sound in a smaller room with different electronics ? Happy listening....enjoy. :thumb:

Chris

I'm 2 hours away with a pair of Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's  :green:  Tom

Christof

I do find that the upper Hz is a little shy.  This could be because of my room, lack of muscle in the amps or speakers, it's hard to say.  Again I listen to alot of acoustic style music with brushes on drums and to my ears it seems the sound is a tad thin.  The upper treble is not "bad" but in the intrest of full disclosure I wanted to express that I feel it should be a just a little more present. 

Christof, I had the same feeling and were'nt really sure if information were missing or it was supposed to be like this. Anyway a little experimenting and some assistance from Bob provided an easy solution to this, so it is something which is addressed in the new cross over design.

Regards,
Karsten

Karsten
Come to think of it I had the same experience with my last pair of speakers.  The designer went back over the XO and made a slight change that added this missing "air" to the ribbon tweeter.  Could just be my ears have a hard time picking up this range.  I'll talk to Bob about it.

TomS
If and when I ever get this loft finished we will hook-up.  Maybe Bob will have a pair of Revs we can bring by here too.  I look forward to meeting you.

Wolfy
I'm not aware of any other AC folks in the immediate area other than the other audio company here.

-c

TomS

TomS
If and when I ever get this loft finished we will hook-up.  Maybe Bob will have a pair of Revs we can bring by here too.  I look forward to meeting you.
Bob and I are working on hooking up some evening or Saturday to hear the Revs he has that are finished up before they go out West.  I'd probably bring some of my own gear like the BEL 1001's and Bolder SB2 setup so at least some of it is familiar to me.  You are welcome to join in if it works out (just PM me).  I probably won't bring the Odyssey Mono's since I am still working through breakin and I'd like to keep them powered up if possible.  Plus, man are they HEAVY.

Tom

Christof

I just spent a few hours in my room with Ethan Winer's test tone tracks and took general measurements at listening position..... :o  I am suprised these Timepieces sound as good as they do considering the conditions of my room.  I won't go into details other than to say I am -30db @ 45hz  and +20db in many areas.  I've got alot of work to do to this room to get it into shape so my comments about the upper frequencies sounding thin should be taken with a grain of salt, these speakers measured flat in Bob's shop.