Bryston SST or Odyssey Mono Extremes

mclsound

Bryston SST or Odyssey Mono Extremes
« on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:26 pm »
i am looking at a 14bsst($3500-$4000),it is 3 years old,but spotless.i have an Odyssey HT-3 but i would like some input from experience.Mono X-tremes,i have never heard,alot of money for a tryout.i see a 4bsst(2.5yrs old $2350)for sale which is close in specs to the monos.I find my HT-3 is great for my center(Paradigm -470) & my rears(paradigm studio- 40)but my studio 60s(front & stereo)need more.I need more input on these subjects? I live 2hrs from TO but work seasonal (since 1989)there.All & any advice welcomed. thanks     

phowell1

Re: Bryston SST or Odyssey Mono Extremes
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2007, 09:22 pm »
Hi,

Atg the first taas meet, our fearless leader brought along his mono extremes, and someone else brought along a Bryston 9b

(Apologies Yorgi) The extremes were in a class by themselves. Very very nice. Less dynamic and less deep bass (To my ears) but a far far nicer midrange and top end, coupled with what was really a nicely integrated bass. Very balanced presentation, great soundstage. These were among the nicest solid state amps I have ever heard, though it must be said I have never heard the big dollar sim amps, or anything by nelson pass.

The other nice solid state amps I've heard, for reference, were the classe dr2 and cam 400 (I think), an expensive new system by exposure, and, for less money, the bryston b60 (I highly preferred that to the 9b) and the monarchy sm70.

I should say that I am an avowed tube guy, and love an organic, breathy presentation. The mono extremes were the 2nd most tube like solid state amps I have ever heard, after the exposure.

hope that helps- In my opinion, you can't go wrong.

mclsound

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2007, 01:29 am »
thank you-from what u said makes me feel much better since i just purchased a fine pair of Odyssey Mono Extremes S.E. i will keep u all informed on my progress.

markC

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2007, 09:47 pm »
I doubt that you will be disapointed, I've owned a couple of Odyssey products in the past, (Stratos with cap up-grade and Dual Mono), and they are good, solid performers for the money.

bunky

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2007, 10:46 pm »
thank you-from what u said makes me feel much better since i just purchased a fine pair of Odyssey Mono Extremes S.E. i will keep u all informed on my progress.
once you hook up the SE's and let the capacitors charge up. After you turn on some Music, it will be very hard to wipe the Big Grin off of your face  :drool:

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2007, 12:05 am »
thank you again for all your responses,i will keep u all up to date with my adventures in audio heaven!! I am back to work in TO and looking forward to an audio event this year. let me know??

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2007, 12:41 am »
In MY system, there is no comparison.  The Odyssey Mono Extremes are head and shoulders above the Bryston.  Better bass, better imaging, smoother highs, warmer - more lush midrange, etc. - and all this for less money.

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2007, 12:54 am »
I'd also say the Odyssey's in the SE+ versions are a quite different deal from the "standard" Mono's or Extremes.  Very, very transparent and not as overtly warm (more toward neutral) than the stockers.  I like them a lot.

mclsound

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2007, 01:01 am »
I have to be honest,I AM CANADIAN!!!!! BUT,not one response from my topic in BRYSTON!?? WHATS to say the CO. is any different,just another guy with a used 14bsst.  WELL,Klaus answered ALL & any of my questions,and phone calls!! Being a musician,the personal touch means everything!!

rosconey

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2007, 01:10 am »
mr tanner from bryston -probably kept out of it because it was a us/them type of thread-
they have just as good a rep as klaus and mr tanner spends alot of time at ac-

mclsound

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 01:57 am »
i don't mean to step on toes but i say how i see it!!!!