I've got my eye on a set of supertower II's...

thepogue

« on: 3 Aug 2003, 10:24 pm »
they are big ole beasties...(maybe just too big) but can someone give me a hint of what they might sound like. I'm thinking of moving a set of Paradigm 100's to a HT set up. I read alot aobut the "slam" factor that the supertower's have. I'm currently using a MA 210 sub w/the 100's...so I do like slam...but I do also enjoy quality sound. can anyone give me a hint/help with the STII's ablity to reproduce jazz. Just kinda fishing 'round for a bit of help. also doing on-line seaches I see many addtional models (SE II "se"/ "a" etc.) any help on the meaning/differences would be also helpful. Thanks in advance!

Peace, Pogue

AVB

« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:23 am »
Hi,

I've got a set of ST /R's and ST /RSE's that you could listen to. if you wanted to drive up to my part of PA.  A 3 hour drive at least but you would have a very good idea of what the ST II's would sound like.  Let me know.

audiochef

SSTs SE
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2003, 03:35 pm »
If you're reffering to the tower 2s with the two twelves wich are in my photos, Iv'e owned the kit form since 96. They do have alot of slam in addition to more than average amounts of mid bass.Midrange is sufficient and goes up to around 7k. Treble is good ,utilizing the woven cloth or kevlar Focal. The leaf super tweeter is something special,this design is ahead of its time .Yes it has been used before in speakers like the old Pioneer HPM series ,but was not as affective as these .They really add alot of air and are really extended.
        If your reference is to the Super tower Rs which  utilizes a15 inch woofer , they're voiced similarly but with mucho bass . Both have a high quality warm sound  where its strenths  are obviously in the lowe mids on down.
      These are the speakers that gave VMPS the reputation as''best bass for the buck''

Stan

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: SSTs SE
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2003, 05:07 am »
Quote from: audiochef
If you're reffering to the tower 2s with the two twelves wich are in my photos, Iv'e owned the kit form since 96. They do have alot of slam in addition to more than average amounts of mid bass.Midrange is sufficient and goes up to around 7k. Treble is good ,utilizing the woven cloth or kevlar Focal. The leaf super tweeter is something special,this design is ahead of its time .Yes it has been used before in speakers like the old Pioneer HPM series ,but was not as affective as these .They really add alot of a ...

Meggadittos above.  Describe in detail the dimensions, driver array & driver siting.  The Roman numerals II could be consistent with anything from the original Tower II (late 70s) to the STIIa/R with more drivers than you can count, 6' tall, (2) 15s, a 12, (2) 10s, (4) mids, (4) domes & leaf supertweeter, & speakers in between, both standard & Special Edition, with or without options.  They all kick butt & could get a carless person thrown in jail (or alternatively turn the responding policeman into a VMPS customer!).

audiochef

classic VMPS
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2003, 03:08 pm »
He..he..he.. I like your  closing statement ,Jim. This also holds true to any modern large VMPS line. No wimpy audiophile stuff here!
          Again thanks Brian, my passion for this hobby would  not nearly be as intense if VMPS did not exist. I know I can vouge for many many people/audiophiles.
                                     Stan

audiochef

classic VMPS
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2003, 03:46 pm »
Just a quick and to the point  comment. I'm at this minute listenig to my humble vintage gear via the TTSEs through my mediocre analog and it is oh so musical.

Pogue,you will not be diapointed in aquiring classic VMPS