Odyssey in Ontario

mclsound

Re: Odyssey in Ontario
« Reply #60 on: 26 May 2007, 01:51 am »
well i just received word that my (not mine anymore)money has been recEIved,one step closer!!!!!! i hope i will be as happy as KEN? ialso seen a canadian listing for a TEMPEST,not sure if it has a HT bypass?need that option! would it be a easy fix ,anyone know??THANKS  JOHN

Bigfish

« Reply #61 on: 26 May 2007, 02:00 am »
My wife and I watched a DVD Movie tonight and the Mono SEs were driving the front L and R speakers.  The sounds from the speakers are so distinct and crisp.  Unfortunately, I think I will need an amp for the  Center Channel Speaker.  I was really happy with my Denon 3806 AVR for HT until today.  I guess I am finally experiencing the world of high performance audio.    :lol:

Ken

TomS

« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2007, 02:01 am »
My wife and I watched a DVD Movie tonight and the Mono SEs were driving the front L and R speakers.  The sounds from the speakers are so distinct and crisp.  Unfortunately, I think I will need an amp for the  Center Channel Speaker.  I was really happy with my Denon 3806 AVR for HT until today.  I guess I am finally experiencing the world of high performance audio.    :lol:

Ken
Well, the 3-channel Stratos will take of the center and 2 surrounds.  Or maybe a third SE for the center would be sweet!

Haoleb

« Reply #63 on: 26 May 2007, 02:03 am »
well i just received word that my (not mine anymore)money has been recEIved,one step closer!!!!!! i hope i will be as happy as KEN? ialso seen a canadian listing for a TEMPEST,not sure if it has a HT bypass?need that option! would it be a easy fix ,anyone know??THANKS  JOHN

Doesnt have HT bypass. I am also talking to the seller on this preamp as it may soon be mine  :thumb:

mclsound

« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2007, 02:28 am »
u bugger(good luck),thats ok i need HT bypass.   KEN,u have to stop ,your killing me with all of this awsome audio talk!SOON i will be rolling around like a kitty with catnip!!!!!!!!  my HT-3 works great on my speakers.    CHOW  John

zzzone1

« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2007, 05:52 pm »
Hey MCLSOUND....welcome...I had to pull out a map to check out your Huron claim...lol....I'm probably one of the few in Dufferin,(Orangeville area) and keep my boat in Grey...(Georgian Bay)...you're just around the peninsula....lol I think I mite have been one of the first canaians who had one of the first sets of Lorelei's...my only claim to Odyssey fame....hahaha

Enjoy your gear it's amazing....

mclsound

« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2007, 10:10 pm »
hi ZZ,i have been working in Newmarket for the last year and drive through Orangeville to go home,would love to hear your system some day? i have never heard a Tempest before or Loreleis..... i have cousins in Owen Sound,small world!!

mclsound

« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2007, 01:11 pm »
i have been in communicoto with several Odyssey owners,a statement came up,tube pre in fall/winter and solid in sping/summer, reasons are HEAT ,makes sense,i work outside on a bulldozer(no AC)so i hate heat!!!!!!!! i have a Anthem AVM-30 coming,anyone tried one ,what is the stereo pre like in comparison to a Tempest for the solid state end of things,(it is an unfortunate issue that we have to buy certain products just to try in our own system to judge it's compatabillity for our ears & gear.)i do own a Luxman turntable and several albums(never use) but for now AVM-30/TEMPEST comparo....anyone???     John

bunky

« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2007, 01:43 pm »
i have been in communicoto with several Odyssey owners,a statement came up,tube pre in fall/winter and solid in sping/summer, reasons are HEAT ,makes sense,i work outside on a bulldozer(no AC)so i hate heat!!!!!!!! i have a Anthem AVM-30 coming,anyone tried one ,what is the stereo pre like in comparison to a Tempest for the solid state end of things,(it is an unfortunate issue that we have to buy certain products just to try in our own system to judge it's compatabillity for our ears & gear.)i do own a Luxman turntable and several albums(never use) but for now AVM-30/TEMPEST comparo....anyone???     John
John,I dont know who you have been communicating with but i have had three tube preamplifiers in my two channel rig and the Anthem Pre 1L that i have was barely warm to the touch and the BAT VK3i that i have was just slightly warm to the touch And my Candela is absolutely cool to the touch with my hand on the case placed directly over the tubes.

mclsound

« Reply #69 on: 28 May 2007, 06:34 am »
well i wasn't saying they get smokin hot,just a change ,like switching around your furniture....has anyone compaired a ANTHEM AVM-30 to a TEMPEST or TEMPEST EXTREME?

DMi

« Reply #70 on: 30 May 2007, 11:51 pm »
I have owned an Anthem for quite a while coupled to SE's and a HT-3 recently. I have not had the chance to compare it to a Tempest but I have had the chance to compare it to a lot of other surround processors and to a lot of other pre-amps. The sound quality is right up there with the very best. You can spend a lot more but you'll have a hard time matching it without spending at least twice the price.

As far as the Odyssey pre-amps go, I suspect the Candela would be the choice if you were needing a tube fix. I hear you can order one with a bypass so you can listen to your 2 channel without the processor and your movies running through the Anthem. I have no experience with these so I imagine them to work like a CJ pre-amp with it's bypass. Ultimate listening for both worlds, movie and two channel. I'm certain Klaus will oblige. :)

Doug

mclsound

« Reply #71 on: 31 May 2007, 12:35 am »
thanks Doug,actually i am going to do just that,i just ordered a Candela for 2-ch &AVM-30 for HT. what speakers and cables do u use? do u bi-wire?

mclsound

« Reply #72 on: 31 May 2007, 11:07 pm »
so i gave Klaus the go-ahead on a candela,i was going to buy the Tempest in agon,but he wasn't going to ship to Klaus,now he will,toooo late!!  i should be receiving my new amps soon,then i will have to think about a good CD player???? any suggestions in around $500-750 (maybe used lightly)?????   John

DMi

« Reply #73 on: 31 May 2007, 11:57 pm »
thanks Doug,actually i am going to do just that,i just ordered a Candela for 2-ch &AVM-30 for HT. what speakers and cables do u use? do u bi-wire?

The speaker cables are all home made, bi-wired all around. They are made out of Canare Star Quad S11 professional sound cable and are bi-wired with locking banana plugs all around, dressed with pants and flex covering. Fronts are Magneplaner 1.6QR, Center is a Radia from BG Corp, Rears are Epos M5. I'm using a SVS 16-46 PC-Plus for the sub right now... don't laugh. The room is 35' square and the audio stuff is in the living room space.

With the bi-wire I do notice a bit more midrange clarity that way and overall wire is 11 gauge. The rears runs go under the floor and are the longest runs at about 35' per channel.

Your really going to enjoy the setup you're building. It's always fun to bring someone in used to stuff like Bose and Sony to knock their socks right off! The stereo end of things sounds tremendous and movies pack a wallop if they have a good sound track.

Doug

mclsound

« Reply #74 on: 1 Jun 2007, 12:32 am »
hi Doug,u have quite a list of goodies,i am currently working on building my own speaker setup consisting of a top cabinet(2-10"RCF and a 1"RCF compression driver/horn---600watts/cabinet)and a bottom sub cabinets(1-18"JBL/side) all powered by ODYSSEY(1-HT3 and 4-MONO EXTREMES S.E.)   crazy,i know!!        John

zzzone1

« Reply #75 on: 1 Jun 2007, 05:18 pm »
Hey MCL, sorry for the time lapse in response, Ive been out of province. I'm sure we could hook something up if you want to check out the Lori's. Sounds like you're getting in on a higher level which is just awesome. I live right off hwy 109 which turns into Broadway St in Orangeville. It's the road that runs from Arthur to Orangeville. Just let me know if you want to check them out.

Russ

Bigfish

« Reply #76 on: 1 Jun 2007, 05:29 pm »
John:

You ask for a CD Player recommendation in your thread above.  When I joined this Circle in March many people recommended I consider a Squeezebox and have it modded versus using a CDP.  I took their advice and purchased a Squeezebox 3.  I purchased a linear power supply for it this week and will be sending it along with the Squeezebox to Wayne of Boulder for Mods.  Others on this board believe a modified Squeezebox, using the analog outs directly to the amps or to the preamp, will equal a high end CDP connected to a DAC.  Due to the convenience of the Squeezebox (I can access my entire CD Library from my chair) I am going the moded Squeezebox route versus DAC/CDP. 

Congratulations on your amps and preamps.  I received my last week and I am still amazed at the sound difference versus what I was obtaining from the Denon 3806 AVR.

Good Luck,

Ken

DMi

« Reply #77 on: 2 Jun 2007, 12:31 am »
hi Doug,u have quite a list of goodies,i am currently working on building my own speaker setup consisting of a top cabinet(2-10"RCF and a 1"RCF compression driver/horn---600watts/cabinet)and a bottom sub cabinets(1-18"JBL/side) all powered by ODYSSEY(1-HT3 and 4-MONO EXTREMES S.E.)   crazy,i know!!        John

Sounds like you're going for maximum SPL or working in an auditorium. :) I'd certain agree with the crazy part. :) Gee whiz John... don't hurt yourself! I haven't dealt with drivers like that since I used to do a little band amplification in the 70's.

Doug

mclsound

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jun 2007, 12:34 am »
hi guys,thanks for your congrates,first of all ,RUSS,i am currently working at Richmondhill,so i take the 401 home,but i will soon be back in Newmarket,then i go through Orgnvl to Arther,i will send u my phone# and go from there......Ken,i hope u are really enjoying because when i get my amps i am going to hook up the used pair(they are already broke in) and see what their made of..!!!after a long hot week ,nothing beats a little AC/DC coming out of a pair MONO--X/SE.........as far as a sqeezebox ,i am absolutly not sure what it is ,or looks like,any info or links would be appreciated............NOW these speakers i am working on are going to be made out of 1.5"MFD and a friend i know is a body man so he can paint them (he is an artist also)with a flex additive(used in paint for plastic automotive parts)and a super thick clearcoat(3x as thick),a modified entertainment cabinet will be my next task??? i will take any and all adviseand experiences!!              thanks John

mclsound

« Reply #79 on: 2 Jun 2007, 12:44 am »
hi DOUG,I HAVE all these speakers from my PA ,so i will put them to good use, a good set of asskickin speakers(REVEL,B&W,WILSON,VON SCHWEIKERT,PMC)will cost $5-$10,000 used!!   so i will create my own ART & AUDIO.    John