Should I get out of audio?

Lensman

Should I get out of audio?
« on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:30 pm »
I'm thinking of getting out of audio.  It's just too much.

Lensman

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Should I get out of audio?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:41 pm »
Well, if you need someone to take equipment off your hands... :drool: :icon_twisted:

I don't know, I got out of car audio seriously, but I've found I like home audio a lot better...

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm »
Same here. I have tried to get out of this hobby (might be expensive for most of us) but I could not. Therefore, I have tried to look another way by doing it yourself. Besides audio has helped me a lot of relieving stress.  :thumb:

Lensman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm »
Yes. Yes.  I feel your pain. I, too am trapped in the nightmare of audio reductionism.  All I have to show for my time and money is an acute awareness of flaws. I have eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  I wanted perfection, but when I listen,  I hear only flaws.   It's over.

Lensman

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm »
That depends on what you mean by "out".  If it means ceasing an unrewarding cycle of equipment swapping in favor of sticking with what you have then I'd say that's a good thing.  If you mean selling everything and never enoying music again, well...not so good.  But do whatever makes ya happy, of course. 

I stopped buying equipment a few years ago after realizing that no amount of gear could improve upon the environment I had to work with.  To go further forward in performance would be a huge leap into new construction.  It's the difference between spending a lot of money and doing a lot of work.  I suspect the best sounding systems have the most elbow grease put into the acoustics.  Buying stuff is easy, but the room is hard.  That's actually WORK.

Lensman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:53 pm »
Your comments are like medicine.  Thank you.

Lensman

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2007, 11:16 pm »
This is a question only you can answer.  A more productive post would be to explain your room, system, and what you feel is missing.  Then, likeminded folks will be happy to help.

Obviously, the people here have not given up and likely won't be recommending that.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:07 am »
Please, don't leave. just figure out what is BS and what is truth. Go for "value components", not high end cables and junk like that. This is the stuff the bewilders new comers to the world of audio and they soon learn there are  people selling "magic elixirs".

W

eric the red

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:17 am »
Step one for me was stopping the never ending upgrade cycle. Step two was like Wayne said finding value components that let me listen and enjoy music again instead of listening for 'wtf is wrong with my rig?'. So your gear isn't as high-rez as everyone wants you to think it needs to be. Who cares? I found getting back into vinyl really helped as records are fun to collect play and listen too plus they sound great. LPs and LP playback make you slow down maybe...Then all you have to do is train yourself how to enjoy listening to music again instead of listening to what your rig is doing. We all started on this path enjoying the music and once you relax and start doing it again, it's still a great hobby. I don't think anyone's ever gotten out of it completely...I've been in this hobby since 1975...plus it's fun to hang out with the people here. You can learn ALOT from the people here and not just about stuff relating to audio. Concentrate on the enjoyment of the music and you'll be alright. :thumb: Great topic BTW.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2007, 12:28 am by eric the red »

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:27 am »
I have to applaud Nathanm by putting so much content into so few words.

Lensman,

You say you’ve given up – I don’t buy it.  You’re still here aren’t you?

Many audiophiles have been in the same place you find yourself now; Frustrated and ready to throw in the towel to pursue a hobby with more absolutes. Sometimes you have to take a step back and ask yourself what you hope to achieve and what you buy equipment for in the first place. Hi-Fi is a personal adventure, one that most people have to take themselves. There are people that can help guide you in the right direction, but ultimately it’s a quest that is determined by your own self. Like any good journey, there are obstacles. Just like your classic novel, those obstacles are found in the journey itself… or in this case, it can come from the often crazy, confusing, contradictory and saturated hobby.

I was ready to wave goodbye to hi-fi (middle finger and all) a number of times. I was tired of laying down oodles of cash and spending an enormous amount of time and effort trying to build systems that otherwise would dis-satisfy me due to a number of limitations. Then one day, I just came to peace with the fact that no one knows what the perfect audio system sounds like – because it doesn’t exist.

Yin and yang – balance. That’s Hi-Fi. You cannot get one thing without giving up something in return. It’s not about knowing it. It’s not about appreciating it. It’s about coming to peace that there will be faults in every piece of gear you own. Your next amplifier will have its problems, just as your speakers will, just as your room will. Hell, the whole process of converting an electrical signal into a physical acoustic wave is inherently flawed as it stands.

When you come to peace with natural, physical limitations found on this planet at least – you will begin to truly appreciate a system based off the merits of its design. With a bit of work you will be able to piece together these components in a harmony that aligns with the attributes that help you get lost in the music. It is then when it hits you; suddenly all that time, money, effort, those moments of frustration – all became part of the journey that’s led up to that moment.

You are well on your way..

claud

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:28 am »
I have quit listening to my system much. About once a week I'll listen to a CD on headphones. I'll never sell it. I did that before and had to replace it. If you care about audio, its in your blood.

eric the red

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:31 am »
I have quit listening to my system much. About once a week I'll listen to a CD on headphones. I'll never sell it. I did that before and had to replace it. If you care about audio, its in your blood.
I agree Claud. Going cold-turkey after 30+ years of caring about something would be hard. You'd take that first sip again and....

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2007, 01:20 am »
Lensman, I've found this to be true and useful:

Striving for excellence is fun and achievable. It's about discovery. It's a journey with lots of rest stops. You may come to a destination or you may not. That's okay - it's more about the journey than the destination.

Striving for prefection...unachievable, frustrating and will suck the passion and fun right out of you. Been there and I've owned the T-Shirt.

Get back to the music and let it soak in. Like Wolfy says: Ya gotta let it make you dance! There's not much (good) gear out there that can't get you dancin' at least a little. Sounds like you're not dancing at all.

Maybe step back for a week, maybe two. Enjoy something else during this time and then come back with a different and fresh outlook.

Hope this is useful for you.

Buy my wires.

Cheers.

Robert
RSAD
(just kidding about the wire thing.)

Soundbitten

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:20 am »
I'm thinking of getting out of audio.  It's just too much. Should I get out of audio?

Lensman

Yes ... if that's the way you feel .

Are you thinking about giving up listening to music too ?  If not , keep your system ... you'll need it .

Lensman

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:22 am »
The closer you get, the more you realize just how far away you really are.

Lensman

bprice2

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:29 am »
Poor Lensman.  He has found himself up against the wall.  For whatever unbeknownst reason he has come to the end. 

He seeks sollace.  He looks to his fellow audiophiles for the help he desperately needs.  He looks to others to carry him to a place where he no longer will have to deal with what ales him.

Poor misguided Lensman.  He is an addict and he will be for life.  He is like a crack head seeking needed help in a crack house...with other crack heads, and crack dealers...crack manufacturers even! 

Lensman,  smoke it.  Everything will be better.  Don't hassle it, man.  Just keep doing it.  Everything will be fine.

And most of all, enjoy the music!

contrarian

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:32 am »
The closer you get, the more you realize just how far away you really are.

Funny, I had that thought many times, but never in relation to audio. 

Seems like any journey you take seriously, will always get you there.  The question is, where are you trying to get to?  Do you have some preconceived notion of where it is you want to be?  Maybe you're already there?

Try to re-discover what connected you in the first place and find a way to be at peace with that.

Best

eric the red

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:39 am »
Poor Lensman.  He has found himself up against the wall.  For whatever unbeknownst reason he has come to the end. 

He seeks sollace.  He looks to his fellow audiophiles for the help he desperately needs.  He looks to others to carry him to a place where he no longer will have to deal with what ales him.

Poor misguided Lensman.  He is an addict and he will be for life.  He is like a crack head seeking needed help in a crack house...with other crack heads, and crack dealers...crack manufacturers even! 

Lensman,  smoke it.  Everything will be better.  Don't hassle it, man.  Just keep doing it.  Everything will be fine.

And most of all, enjoy the music!

This coming from an owner of components from zen-like manufacturers :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DeadFish

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:54 am »
Lensman, I've found this to be true and useful:

Get back to the music and let it soak in. Like Wolfy says: Ya gotta let it make you dance!

Lensman, I did just the opposite.  I got away from the music and let it soak out.
I wouldn't turn it on, but it found its way out.
Robert and I are both right (it's that zen thing) yes 'Ya gotta let it make you dance!'. :thumb:

I'm listening to old Dynaco amp, $50 Insignia speakers offa my PeeCee sound card and harddrive.
A lot of stuff I listen to is as old and distorted as me...
.....(whisper:)  and I'm starting to dance!  :wink:

Trust me, give 'nothing' a chance and you might find your head full of music. :green:

Best Regards, its a tough quandary!
DeadFish

eric the red

« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:57 am »
No don't get out-the people you meet on this journey are far more valuable than the gear bullshit 8) Great topic.