Looking for a "small" cd player..

es347

• Volunteer
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Looking for a "small" cd player..
« on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:53 am »
I am looking for a compact cd player, not a portable nor a full size, but rather something in between for bedside table or desktop.  It should have AC input and line level outputs.  A standard size deck is too bulky for my needs but I want something more substantial than a portable.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

ES347

arthurs

Re: Looking for a "small" cd player..
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:56 am »
budget?

PhishPhan

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2007, 03:58 am »
How 'bout an Eastern Electric MiniMax.  aa

eric the red

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:26 am »
Will a Squeeze Box work?

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:33 pm »
The Cayin CD-50T tubed CDP is 16" x 15.6" x 6"

http://www.vasaudio.com/Product_Name.asp?Category=26:46:27&types=2

(disclaimer, I'm a Cayin dealer)

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:45 pm »
I use a relatively inexpensive Marantz CD-5001 on my nightstand.  It has an integrated headphone amp so it works really well for the listening that I do in my bedroom

es347

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm »
Thanks for all your replies gentlemen.  The Cayan is beyond my budget; the Squeezebox is interesting but for this listening mode I prefer to stick with cd's; the Marantz being a standard size player isn't quite what I am after.  I did find a smallish player made by Tivoli that looks promising:

http://www.unicahome.com/p30962/tivoli-audio/model-cd-player-by-henry-kloss-for-tivoli-audio.html

Another possibility is a small player by Tascam that is primarily meant for the guitar player as it can slow down riffs for easier learning:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_tascam_cdgt1mkii_portable_cd_guitar_trainer?full_sku=103035267

I play guitar and it seems interesting but I'm not sure how it's fidelity compares with a normal player.  Has anyone here auditioned this unit?

The search continues....thanks again guys.

ES347

eastein

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:01 am »
You could just load 250+ lossless CD's on an 80 GB iPod

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2007, 12:06 am »
That's dependent on bitrate.

I was going to recommend the Tivoli unit :) Used to have a Model Two, it was built well.

es347

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2007, 03:33 am »

Yes that is possible but I should have told you that I plan to run line level out to my Perraux headphone amp thereby avoiding the normally poor to mediocre headphone amp circuitry. 

es347

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2007, 03:36 am »
That's dependent on bitrate.

I was going to recommend the Tivoli unit :) Used to have a Model Two, it was built well.

I understand that the Tivoli's quality is in the same ballpark with the Henry Kloss equipment and perhaps Cambridge Soundworks eqpt.
The Tivoli has R and L RCA line level outputs just like the big boys.  I must admit, it pretty much meets my criteria and goes for $200.

Loftprojection

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2007, 01:36 pm »

Yes that is possible but I should have told you that I plan to run line level out to my Perraux headphone amp thereby avoiding the normally poor to mediocre headphone amp circuitry. 

Well then look at the Red Wine Audio Imod and you'll have way better sound quality then any of those players you are looking at in a tiny package and wont have to change CDs all the time. 

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

es347

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:11 pm »

Well then look at the Red Wine Audio Imod and you'll have way better sound quality then any of those players you are looking at in a tiny package and wont have to change CDs all the time. 

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

Good morning Loft.  I know that the iPod-based systems are really cool and can be relatively high fidelity.  I have an iPod and listen to it religiously whenever I find myself sitting still long enough.  However with a CD collection nearing 1500, I like the freedom of grabbing a disc or two and doing my critical listening via player, my headphone amp and HD600's.  I see, at least in my case, as the two activities being entirely different listening modes.  Thanks for the link.  The modded pod (alliteration unintentional) looks very interesting.  I am and will always be fascinated with the iPod technology.

ES347