Favorite albums of the last year?

JoshK

Re: Favorite albums of the last year?
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2007, 12:55 am »
By the way, Airborn, you are getting me to purchase Mastodon, as I've meant to check them out (I like metal, not all but plenty). Your list was enough overlap with my own list to trust your taste.  This is why I love this forum.

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2007, 12:57 am »
pj....I don't have all Jay's solo stuff, but I felt Son Volt releases were all top notch.  I just purchase this one off Amazon, so I have no comment on this particular alb. 

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #22 on: 1 May 2007, 01:07 am »
Porcupine Tree-Fear of a Blank Planet. Just released. Better than "Deadwing" and almost as good as "In Absencia".

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 1 May 2007, 01:12 am »
ordered that too... I like both deadwing and in absentia....listening to deadwing as I write this, having finished in absentia.

Another great one in this realm is Dream Theater - Train of Thought.  I don't like all of DT's stuff, but that one is good and so is the first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Airborn

« Reply #24 on: 1 May 2007, 01:21 am »
Pjchappy- My copy of Yorke's The Eraser is dated 2006...besides Josh said anything within the last 18 months or so when he started this thread.  As for Son Volt's latest, I listed it because I really liked Uncle Tupelo and still like Wilco and Son Volt, so almost anything by those artists gets an automatic vote from me.  Honestly, I think Okemah and the Melody of Riot was better, but ymmv.

Josh - Mastodon is good and Blood Mountain is their best so far, so I'd start there.

Jim N.- hmm, better than "Deadwing"...I'll have to check that out.

pjchappy

« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2007, 01:36 am »
I'm a big Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco fan, too. 

Re the Yorke album, I was just answering Josh's question. . .not saying it didn't fit in the topic. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I'm looking forward to the new Wilco. May 15th.  I will have a chance to listen to it tonight or sometime this week, though.   :thumb:

p

Airborn

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2007, 04:58 am »
Pj- No misunderstanding with me...we're all good. One of the reasons I like AC is there is not very much "attitude" among the posters, unlike some of the other forums. So I didn't take your post that way and mine wasn't intended to be that way either.

I'm looking forward to the new Wilc0 album too!

skite30

« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2007, 09:21 am »
Don't know if these all fit the time frame but

Derek Trucks songlines
Waybacks From the pasture to the future
Wilco Kicking television
Jeff Tweedy Live accoustic
Corrine Bailey Rae
Knopfler and Harris Live Running
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals Nothing But The Water
The Shins Wincing the Night Away

All I can think of now but I know there were plenty of others

acresm22

« Reply #28 on: 3 May 2007, 03:54 pm »
Second the Knopfler/Harris nomination.
Also...not sure if this was last year or earlier, but Imogen Heap's Speak for Yourself is a goodie.

ctviggen

« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2007, 04:05 pm »
That is what I think about Kings of Leon....I dig his playing, but his voice bugs the crap out of me.

Yup. Couldn't hang. Really liked the textural playing of the band, but his voice drove me to sell the CD after the first play.

I also gave my copy away, after struggling to listen to the CD twice.  On the other hand, I've listened to the Decemberists multiple times since getting it on Saturday.

Housteau

« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2007, 03:12 pm »
Porcupine Tree-Fear of a Blank Planet. Just released. Better than "Deadwing" and almost as good as "In Absencia".

I have that one on order now, as well as Blackfield II.  I just found out that Robert Fripp and Alex Lifeson make guest appearances.  The new Rush is out as well.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2007, 08:35 pm »
Tool - 10,000 Days...already mentioned but yeah, it's my favorite of 2006.

richidoo

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2007, 11:17 pm »

Turn it up!  :o

stereocilia

« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2007, 02:45 pm »
Beck  -- The Information would be on my list

Amelia Prunt

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:09 am »
Chemical Bros. - We Are The Night