antique sound labs wave-8 monoblocks - w/upgraded caps/resistors/tubes

doug s.

• makin' music
hi all,

i have a mint pair of asl wave-8's f/s.  cages & detachable power cords.  i am the second owner.  the 1st owner installed auricaps & holco resistors.  i may even have the original parts, not sure, they may be in the box.  i know the p.o. included them when i bought this amp.  tubes are upgrade - nos svetlana 6bm8's.  no more than a coupla hundred hours on 'em.

these were my 1st ever tube amps.  hooked up to 90db-efficient speakers in a 28x35 room, they replaced a pair of stereo electrocompaniet amps that i was running in a bi-amp configuration.  crossed over to subs at 100hz, these were good enough that i never again used the ec amps to drive the mains.  i waited a few months to find a more suitable (read: more watts) tubed power amp, & i have not used s/s amplification for my main amps since.  (except a brief experiment w/sharp digital amp.)

these wave-8's have served as trusty back-up amps, never had any issues w/them at all.  but, now that i have eight other tube amps besides these, i think it's time to finally give someone else a chance to enjoy them.  they would make excellent amps for a 2nd system, or even in a main system, that's not in a huge room, & w/reasonably efficient speakers.

$325 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 and they're yours.  email me for references to my agon & ebay info.  i can also take digital pics for email if interested.  includes original packaging, (double-box; this will be triple-boxed), & the one-sheet factory info.

MAKE ME AN OFFER!!! :green:

thanks,

doug s.

gooberdude

Pm sent

doug s.

• makin' music

doug s.

• makin' music
sale pending...   :green:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
these amps are sold - thanks goober!   :green:

doug s.

gooberdude

No, thank you Doug.    these little guys are something else.       a good combo with the TVC and Hawthorne SI's for sure.

doug s.

• makin' music
i'm glad you are enjoying them.  these were my first tube amps, as they are yours.  and, i suspect they won't be your last. so, be careful!   :green:

doug s.
No, thank you Doug.    these little guys are something else.       a good combo with the TVC and Hawthorne SI's for sure.

gooberdude

D'oh!!!!

These are back up for sale...   I really like these tiny guys but they don't mesh with the Imod.  8 wpc is more than enough with the TT, cable box & XBOX though.   

I have added Black Hole Pad to each chassis & cleaned everything very well w/ 99% alchohol.  My time & japanese Q-tips & BPH are free of charge & i'd like to ask $325 for the pair incl shipping to CONUS.     8)

Black Hole pad was added under all 4 trannies & small pieces were added inside to damp the chassis panels.    2 pieces were used between the faceplate & the chassis too.

they both have Auricaps & upgraded resistors, from what i can tell.   a simple design. 
Now, they have BHP.  Overall, a 8" x 8" sheet of material was used between both amps...its not overdamped whatsoever.

the bass is great, not what i was expecting.    If these were 20wpc i wouldn't let them go quite so fast.

my belles amp returned back from the factory w/some unexpected upgrades too.  i'm funding the purchase of Promitheus' active preamp w/this sale.

The hum from the 96db SI's is much less than w/ my Muse ss amp.  i've heard a few tube amps be 'hum-mmmeey' & there isn't even a hint from past 3" of the driver.  no hiss or whoooosh or anything, quite polite & ultra smooth & clean with good tone.  its cleaner in this regard than the Muse.  I only heard this w/the Muse after purchasing the SI's..   

Installing some decent Furutech IEC inlets should be the next $30 tweak...  powercords made as big a diff w/these as any other amps i've owned.   

matt

doug s.

• makin' music
ok, goob, shameless spam.  need more power?  this amp i am selling really rocks! refurb'd & modded to the max!  :green:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40151.msg363515

seriously, this is a kick ass amp.  if i didn't have so many amps awreddy, & way-efficient speakers, i would be hanging on to this...

doug s.

gooberdude

You have all the cool toys Doug.   

My Belles came back ready to rock so i'm gonna stick with it.   

Modd'd Wave 8's.....

gooberdude

Bump.

I listed it on Craigslist too & so far 3 people have responded...really changing my view of who reads the Craigslist classisfieds....

looking for a good home...

doug s.

• makin' music
good luck w/this goob - it's really a killer amp for someone who only needs 8wpc.  but, you really need to try a tube amp w/more power, if it's not enough juice for your application.  your belles would be f/s faster than you put the wave-8 up f/s.   :D

and no, i am not trying to push my fisher on you.  i know that amp will be gone by this sunday, regardless...  but i also know that...  TUBES RULE!!!   :green:

best,

doug s.

gooberdude

Oh, i'm hooked on tubes for sure but i think my final route is the Active Preamp from Promitheus in-line with my TVC and the Belles 150A Hot Rod.    the Belles should have more than enough power for the Hawthorne's but it doesn't jive with the TVC as well as i'd like it too.   The Active Preamp with 9db of gain should fix all that...   the final solution?   i hope so...

I sent the Belles in for a repair 2 months ago (that i caused) & it came back with a free turbocharger and larger brakes from David Belles.   He called me when it was shipped & said something to the effect of 'I really think you're gonna like what I done'.   It looks the same inside but has more meat on its bones, deeper & more visceral bass while retaining all the smoothness as before. I just asked him to fix the scratchy sound in the right channel, not upgrade it.    so cool...

Since the belles sounds quite tubey and images crazy style, its staying....

It is amazing how loud 8 watts per channel can be.  With my TT, i still haven't turned the TVC knob past 12 oclock...which is odd.  With both my SS amps i listen at about 2-3 oclock on the dial.   Last night i finally installed matching powercords on the WAVE-8's - it is gonna be a shame to sell these puppies.  So weird that with some sources, 8 watts per channel is just as, or more powerful, than 100 wpc or more...

The WAVE-8's go really well with the Promitheus TVC, my guess is its an impedence synergy...

If you have 90db sensitive speaks or more, give these a shot.

no hum, no noises, no turn on thump, absolutely no issues.

gooberdude

NOT FOR SALE.

I am keeping these, just found their magic button last night...its actually a .75 pound pointed brass weight from Mapleshade & matching Flavor 2 powercords.   see my Imod tweak post on Redwine's circle here.

I reported earlier that these amps were perfect except with Imod, and at that, with my LP to CD tansfers...this issue was resolved, essentially, 100% by sticking a pointed brass weight on Imod's face.

No clue why its louder & ballsy-er but it is & i'm not lettin' them go just yet - if ever.

So much bass now, and this is still without acoustic treatments.    OB is really a joy.

Buy Doug S's amps!!!!   he has no clue what he's got!   aa

forever i'm going to be baffled as to how or why 8wpc can act like 120 wpc, all other things equal.   hmmm, would that leave me 'open baffled?'   pun intended.

I've joined the OB and flea watt amp clubs in the last month or so - i hope this is all legal   8)

Any and all hawthorne SI owners, really consider a modd'd pair of these guys....

GD

mcgsxr

Goober, your combination is absolutely illegal in your country, and you must immediately send me all your kit!

Having been enjoying 3-5wpc and 96db speakers for the past 2+ years, I hear you!

doug s.

• makin' music
...forever i'm going to be baffled as to how or why 8wpc can act like 120 wpc, all other things equal.   hmmm, would that leave me 'open baffled?'   pun intended....

what is important is how the 1st watt sounds - especially if your speakers are >90db-efficient...   :wink:

glad these wave-8's ended up working out for you.

doug s.

gooberdude

Yup, 8wpc is more than enough for nearly everything i listen to.    With my LP to CD tracks the TVC volume is up almost all the way, 23 out of 26 clicks...but this is at party level.   Late night listening is done at 20 out of 26 clicks.

I'm gonna bottle up this system & make an infomercial!!  As seen on TV, 3-D Hi-Fi for around $1000.   aa

Doug, if these are your least favorite amps...I have a LOT to experience with amplifiers!

matt

eric the red

...forever i'm going to be baffled as to how or why 8wpc can act like 120 wpc, all other things equal.   hmmm, would that leave me 'open baffled?'   pun intended....

what is important is how the 1st watt sounds - especially if your speakers are >90db-efficient...   :wink:

glad these wave-8's ended up working out for you.

doug s.

Interesting topic in itself i.e. those first few watts. Maybe that's why I will never go back to ss after hearing tubes. Maybe it's something immeasurable and inexplicable in those first few tube watts :D
« Last Edit: 9 May 2007, 04:25 pm by eric the red »

doug s.

• makin' music
tubes RULE!!!   :thumb: 

even my stereo table radio at my orifice is tubed.   :green:

doug s.

jrebman

Yup, 8wpc is more than enough for nearly everything i listen to.    With my LP to CD tracks the TVC volume is up almost all the way, 23 out of 26 clicks...but this is at party level.   Late night listening is done at 20 out of 26 clicks.

That seems like very little flexibility in listening levels.  I know I could never live with that -- but then again I tend to be somebody who is especially sensitive to different musics being played at the most appropriate level.

Doug, if these are your least favorite amps...I have a LOT to experience with amplifiers!

Matt,

I had a pair of these for a couple years and used them almost exclusively in that time, so am intimately familiar with them.  I do think at their original price point of $99 or $129 each, they were about the best deal ever offered in tube audio, however, as you gain experience the issues with this amp will come to get the better of you.  That's not a slam on the amp, just that at the price point, there are compromises, and they will eventually reveal themselves.  If you hook these up to either a 87 dB monitor, or an ultra-efficient horn, the shortcomings will become quite clear pretty quickly.

The transformers are puny, and at least as far as the power transformer is concerned, that will eventually limit transient response, especially in the bottom end.  The small output transformer isn't as big a deal in a PP amp, but this one is small enough that it too will compromise the response in various ways.

If I were you, I wouldn't dump a lot of money into this amp in the form of trick IEC inlets, RCAs, binding posts, etc.  Get a decent pair of NOS tubes (their are some excellent Japanese 6BM8s that can be had for very little -- $8-$10 per tube -- no need for Mullards), and a little Walker sst or silclear on the input, IEC inlet, and especially the tube pins, and you're set to go -- also a good deox-it and pro gold treatment will work wonders.

Again, I had these amps for a good while, did a few things to them, used them with several different speakers, and with a few different front ends (including a multi-kilobuck CDP) and enjoyed the hell out of them, but eventually it became clear to me where they were falling short and compromising the system as a whole.  For not too much more money, a used Sophia Baby would probably be the next logical step up, but there are also other used amps in that range (Dared's) etc. that will probably give you more to listen to and make comparisons with.

Note that I'm not telling you these are junk, or to dump them -- quite the opposite, I just recommend to look at them as an excellent place to start the journey into tube amplification.

Good luck, and I'm glad you decided to keep them.

-- Jim