ASL Wave 8 and Bottlehead Foreplay - SOLD

jswallac

ASL Wave 8 and Bottlehead Foreplay - SOLD
« on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:52 am »
I am in the process of cleaning out my closet and selling some of my toys.  My rule (at least the rule I am trying to follow) is that anything that has not been in use for 6 months should make room for something new.  The following two items qualify as "need to go" candidates:

1) A Bottlehead Foreplay preamp.  I bought this used rather cheap ($170 with a SI T amp included) because it had an issue.  The amp would only work with one of the inputs.  I replaced the selector switch and it works fine now.  The wood case is unfinished.  Overall it is okay cosmetically and no problems that I am aware of operationally.  It is a very basic tube preamp that sounds very nice.  probably the best tube preamp for the money out there.

2) A pair of Antique Sound Labs ASL Wave 8 tube monoblocks.  These have somewhat of a cult following and are, like the Bottlehead, one of the best tube bang for your buck pieces you can find.  I am not the original owner, so I do not know their history.  They are is good condition cosmetically and perfect as far as I can tell operationally.  They come with the optional cages.

Together these make an incredible little full tube separates setup.  I am posting them here first to see if there is any interest before they go to Agon or eBay.  The ASL amps seem to sell for around $350 on eBay and the Foreplays are currently listed on Agon for $300+.  I am not worried about getting top dollar, so I will let them go cheap.  I will let them go for $150 plus shipping for the Bottlehead Foreplay and $250 plus shipping for the ASL Wave 8s.  I will pay Paypal fees.  I will go a little lower if somebody wants to purchase the combination.  I posted a couple of pictures of the ASL amps to my gallery (jswallac) here at AC. 

If interested, you can email me at james.wallace@cgu.edu  My ebay and my Agon username is the same as the AC username: jswallac
« Last Edit: 1 May 2007, 02:16 am by jswallac »

hawaiihifi

Re: ASL Wave 8 and Bottlehead Foreplay
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007, 07:43 am »
I was wondering what model Foreplay it is.  Any pics of the build quality?  Thanks.

Kim S.

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2007, 10:43 am »
I just wanted to post that I have the exact same components (a Foreplay mach 2 and the ASL wave-8's) in my bedroom system and it sounds fantastic.  A great way to get into tubes.  For some types of music they sound better than my much more expensive "main system".  When I listen to Saddie Shaw at night I fell like I must be in a small recording studio in London in 1964!

The ASL wave-8's are highly regarded and are hard to find used.  Your prices are very good.  Good luck!

jswallac

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2007, 02:55 pm »
I posted a few pictures of the Foreplay in my Gallery (jswallac).  Answers to some of the questions I have received:
I believe this is the original version of the Foreplay.  It is not the most current version being sold.

All three inputs now work.

I posted two pictures of the build quality.  I bought it already built, all that I did was replace the selector switch.

Kim S., thanks for the comments.

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2007, 06:27 pm »
Pm sent.

jswallac

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2007, 04:54 am »
The Foreplay has sold.  Thanks Martin.  The ASL amps are still available.  I will include shipping in the continental U.S. ate the $250 asking price.

hawaiihifi

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2007, 06:40 am »
I saw the pics of the foreplay and the builder did a nice job.  Should have pulled the trigger a little faster :duh:  Good luck selling your amps.

jswallac

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2007, 02:16 am »
Both items are sold.  Thanks to all.