Allright.. so what are some favorite tubes so far in your Cornet2?

ScottRT

I spent $8 for a Sovtek 5Y3GT. I own no other 5y3GT's or GZ34's or 5AR4's, and would like to at least pick up one more brand to roll in there. I suppose you're all gonna tell me to spend $60 on a NOS Mullard 5Y3GT. Any cheaper ideas out there...?

Scott T.

machine

Rectifier: Bendix 6106 (http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-6106.html - rebranded but is Bendix mfg.  Great price)
12au7 - running Raytheon 7730
12ax7's - between GE TRIPLE MICA BLK PLATE 5751's and Sovtek 12ax7LPS (current)

Still burining unit in so haven't done super critical listening.  12ax7lps do sound very nice...

anumber1

• Have boxcars - Do travel
    • AudioEnhancements
I just bought several US made 5Y3G tubes off sleazebay for less than $8 each, shipped.

I like the 5Y3 over the darker presentation of a Mullard GZ34 a lot.

Tubes I have tried:
Tung-Sol 5Y3GT : Okay
RCA 5Y3G : Better bass, smoother top end, more "balanced".
Mullard GZ34 : Dark, "Boomy", less refined.

12AX7's:

Sovtek LPS : very nice, detailed, rich
Groove Tube 12AX7-M : a bit dark but harmonically rich, pretty nice.
Telefunken Smooth Plates : A bit hotter on top, bordering on "tizzy".
'50s, Blackburn produced, copper grid post, Mullard ECC83 : My favorite, darker yet still detailed and full.

12AU7's:

Sylvania, '50s black plate, D Getter : punchy, but slow on top?
RCA triple mica, Command series 5814 : good drive, smooth character.
RCA ClearTop : not as punchy as the Sylvania but close, faster.

Of course YMMV, tax and title extra and so forth...

AL G

SHIF

Rectifier: Bendix 6106 (Be sure to adjust the resistor values to achieve the proper B+ voltage.)

V1: I'm currently using a vintage Tung-Sol (long plates)

V2: Sovtek LPS

V3: Vintage Amperex Bugle Boy

Others that I enjoy: Telefunken, Raytheon, and Sylvania.  I've never had good luck with Mullards in any socket in any component...go figure?

-S

amandarae

Rectifier - Bendix 6106
V1 = Tungsram
V2 = Sovtek LPS
V3 = Bugle Boy White Label with big halo getter

GRD

My "classic" Cornet uses the 270BX transformer and PIO output caps, so that will likely impact the overall sound.  That said:

Rectifier:  RCA 5y3GT or JJ 5AR4.  The 5AR4 has slightly better bass character and slightly extended highs that I marginally prefer over the RCA 5Y3GT.  Both are good.  The 6106 and 6087 were more muted in the highs and not quite as good overall to my ears.  Of many 5Y3GT's I've tried, the RCA has been my favorite (have not tried the Sovtek).

12AX7:  I settled on the Sovtek 12AX7LPS in both positions.  Telefunkens were too bright, Amperex was good, RCA's were good,  JJ's were OK but a bit "fuzzy".  I'm quite pleased with the LPS, and it's affordable. 

12AU7:  Raytheon 5814.  I tried many and they all were OK, but I stopped with the Raytheon as it seemed to have the best overall balance.  The CBS 12AU7 is also in the same league.

I would suggest having, as a baseline, the Sovtek 5Y3 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS.  Then you can compare changes.  I think the Cornet was "voiced" with these tubes.

My favorite tube seller is Jim McShane (reference Audioasylum).  He tests everything he sells and the prices/delivery is good.  The 6106 can cost a lot and the source mentioned above has a good price if you want to try the 6106 (cool looking tube).

samplesj

I'll be the odd man out here.  I don't like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS nearly as much as the JJs.  I've not heard normal JJ 12AX7s, but the gold pin version.  Maybe the gold pin verion get rid of the "fuzzy".  To me the Sovtek sounded bright and thin in comparison.

I agree with the 5Y3 vs 5AR4/GZ34 differences (extra sparkle and thump).  The JJ 5AR4 is actually a really nice tube.  If the original poster was going to buy a Mullard rectifier I'd get a dual halo GZ34 instead of the 5Y3 he mentioned.  Supposedly Mullard GZ34s aren't all the same and the dual halos are supposed to "better".  I'd be inclined to agree simply because I've got some both short and long plate Mullard 12AU7s and they aren't alike at all.

The JJ 12AU7 and 12AX7 are both really nice tubes, but I think most old stock tubes will beat them.  I like a "warmer" (most of the posters would call it darker I bet) sound so I like the Mullards.  And regardless what anyone says, I don't think you can ever have too much.  I've seen others say that 2 is too many, but all of the tubes in my Cornet2 and Clarinet are Mullards and its sounding the best I've ever heard.

In the end its your system and your ears so YMMV.

BobM

I looked last night and here's what I'm using ... all NOS tubes.

V200 - 12AX7 - Tung Sol
V201 - 12AX7 - Bugle Boy
V202 - 12AU7 - ??? all the markings are worn off, but it's a grey plate something, could be a Sylvania
Rectifier - RCA 5Y3-GT

I tried the Bugle Boy in both the first and second location and liked it far better in the second spot - nice textures there. I also tried RCA clear tops, but they tended to be too bright sounding. Lots of detail but no warmth. The Sovtek's and other current production tubes I have on hand just didn't measure up to any of the NOS ones that I have lying around, in any combination.

Enjoy,
Bob