6moons confusing?

Obad_Imports

• Obad Imports
6moons confusing?
« on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:26 pm »
Is it just me or is 6moons.com incredibly unintuitive to navigate? I can't tell the difference between ads, reviews, previews. The menu is on the top sometimes, on the right, on the top...

It's a pretty site and the reviews are excellent, but it's very easy to get lost.

Just thinking out loud!

- sasha

Obad Imports
www.musical.ca

Tr3vWh0r3

Re: 6moons confusing?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:28 pm »
I have always felt that the site could use a better layout. It's not just you. I would probably visit the site more often if it were easier to navigate and find what I want.

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:47 pm »
Look for the moon circles.  They're the primary navigation windows, and should get you whereever you want to go pretty easily.

dado5

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:56 pm »
Very cumbersome, but all the audio review sites are (TNT probably the least).

The reviews are a mixed bag, but overall they are too verbose (the publisher's own stuff is unreadable). Positive-feedback.com seems to have the lock on pithy.

sixmoons strength is the attention they pay to fringe gear and web-board topics.

contrarian

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2007, 05:17 pm »
I believe this is by design.  It gives the advertisers more exposure as you fumble your way through the site.

Efficiency is not the model here - exposure is the name of the game.

You can always just bookmark your favorite pages.

flintstone

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2007, 05:31 pm »
Yes, very poor layout....and the main reason I hardly go there to read anything.

Dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2007, 08:31 pm »
I find it easiest to start with this page:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audioreviews.html
Everything is reached easily from there.

acresm22

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2007, 08:37 pm »
Very cumbersome, but all the audio review sites are (TNT probably the least).

The reviews are a mixed bag, but overall they are too verbose (the publisher's own stuff is unreadable). Positive-feedback.com seems to have the lock on pithy.

sixmoons strength is the attention they pay to fringe gear and web-board topics.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2007, 08:38 pm »
Well, I find my way around with no problems.
It does have an unusual layout, but then again, it's great to see a site that does not just copy others as well!

Imperial

acresm22

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2007, 08:41 pm »
sorry...meant to comment on that quote ; )
I actually like Srajan's reviews, and those of a few other regulars over there. That tendency to enliven things with acecdotes, sidebars and tangents kinda makes it entertaining, at least for me. I always thought Sam Tellig's reviews in Stereophile were the most fun to read, too (until his column because a monthly shill for Musical Fidelity, Triangle, etc....)

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2007, 12:09 am »
I know this is off topic, but hey flinstone, you have a great system!
Nice apogees!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2007, 12:58 am »
Why the heck would the publisher of a competing publication want to move off topic?

I like 6moons because I have come to trust it. When he was still in the US, I phoned Srajan several times and chatted at length. I found him to be well-informed and objective and the products I have purchased from among those recommended have proven to be exceptional. These include the Onix SP-3, Zu speakers and cables, and Red Wine Audio DAC and amplifiers.
So, I don't mind having to figure out how the layout works and I will second Russell's recommendation concerning a starting point. I have the same page bookmarked.
If navigation is the only thing that keeps you from reading more of 6moons, you can PM me for help and I will locate the review and send you a link.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2007, 01:18 am »
I like the content but find navigating the site to be nothing short of baffling. :lol:

jrebman

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2007, 02:15 am »
Well, this is what the top page looks like to a screen reader

showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html
showcase/showcase.html

-----

And selecting one of those at random took me to a page with this section:

At the end of each review or article, click the 'up' button, then the 'red moon'
in the page header. This returns you to the nav bar with the moon icons to launch
your next destination on this site. The 'red moon' above the nav bar returns you
again to this showcase page. Enjoy our site.
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

---

Ahem guys, you're supposed to put actual, useful, alt text in those fields, not the words "alt text" :-).

The only reliable way I have of finding an article is to use google.

-- Jim

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2007, 03:32 am »
Can it really be true that nobody knows about this page:

http://6moons.com/archivelibrary/audioreviews.html

jackthecat

« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2007, 08:57 am »
Each to their own.
I find stuff EASIER to find than on any review site I have visited .
Maybe its down to the one you get to know well enough to know your way around.

flintstone

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2007, 11:42 am »
I know this is off topic, but hey flinstone, you have a great system!
Nice apogees!

Thank you Jeff.

Dave

michaelavorgna

« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2007, 12:44 pm »
For browsing 6moons, I like to start with the "Product Showcase" page. (http://www.6moons.com/showcase/showcase.html) This page has a link to each section: News, Archives, Industry Features, Letters, World Music, Awards and Reviews. The "Product Showcase" page also includes the date of the last update for each section as well as a brief description of what's new. Once you click through to one of these section pages, you can click on whatever interests you.

To get to a review I want to re-read, I either go to the "Reviews" page for new stuff (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audioreviews.html) or the "Archive Library" page (http://www.6moons.com/archivelibrary/archives.html). From there you can view reviews by date (year/month), alpha by manufacturer, by component category or by reviewer. You will also find the archives for the other sections on this page.

One thing to point out - current reviews (the ones on the "Reviews" page) are not listed in the "Archives".