Thank you Mr. Cheney, thank you Dubravko..now I've got my RM30s

Pacio

Once upon a time an italian guy wanted to know something more about hi-end audio = not hi-end prices, and he started to get informed by mean of several forums and resources. He eventually went through a nice circle where nice people used to post no nonsense topics and started to ask information and advice on the most suitable gear for his small wallet.
To make the long story short, I got advice on some beautiful gear - and I bought it - and I decided to go for VMPS RM30 M as my main speakers. It took more than three months from the order to get them here at my home, but - as Dubravko used to say several times - it's worth the wait!
Definitely I cannot remember of a better loudspeaker here in Italy even right out of the box, the sound is magnificent, relaxed, detailed, 3D huge, and so many more things I cannot explain the feeling I have, but you VMPS owners well know..
Even with the standard MDF cabinets, the finish and the look is top quality (also my Significant Others love them!). I like the dark oak so much and it blends very well with the furniture of my living room.
I trusted on the feedbacks and advices I got here, but now I know by myself I have the speakers whose value is so high and I know that they will allow many years of listening heaven.
In the end, I would like to thank Mr Cheney, whose speakers are worth every cent (pardon, euro) they cost, and much much more, and I would like to thank Dubravko, whose patience and ability to calm down my worries and concerns allowed me to go through the wait without any apparent loss of mental sanity (if we except audiophilia..).
Many thanks to all of you for your advice and good listening..(to me too, now!).
Cheers,
Marco

RGordonpf

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the VMPS Club and to the RM30M subgroup (of which I am also a member).  You will get many years of listening pleasure from your RM30Ms.

Enjoy one of the great bargains in Hi End audio.

John Casler

Hi Marco,

And I too welcome you, to the VMPS Circle and a great group of guys.

I know that your story happens often, since I get a lot of the feedback that no one sees, and I also know it "warms the cockles" of Big B's heart to read of such enjoyment delivered by his efforts, and artistry.

And if you have ever had your "cockles warmed" you know what drives him :lol: :lol:

dubravko

Hi Marco,
thank you for your decision to try 30s, and for patience during overseas shipping. I'm very sure it will pay back to you in the long run.

When I look back, it always took me around two months to get somewhere near the best for each Veritone loudspeaker I had in my room. It's always about extracting their huge built-in potential.

So, like in the song; you like them now, but you'll learn to love them later...

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
It should be noted that Dubravko is not only VMPS Europe but maintains our website.  I lean on him for a lot of work and favors.

Inspite of dealing with him all these years, speaking on the phone, swapping emails etc. I have never met the man.  Perhaps Dubravko could post a picture here?

Pacio

Definitely, please Dubravko post a picture here!
Just a question for VMPS owners (either speakers and factory owners.. :D)how can a soundstage be so huuuge??
The smoothness of the mids-highs and the soundstage are the most striking things right out of the box, indeed.
Please, I rely on you all for some guidance in the route to break in process..for example, I found the bass very dry so far (please note, only 2 hours playing..). I would expect something more from the 30 M, but I guess is rather normal since the cones still have to get loose and go through the whole break in process..
Thank you for your advice!
Cheers,
Marco

dubravko

Inspite of dealing with him all these years, speaking on the phone, swapping emails etc. I have never met the man.  Perhaps Dubravko could post a picture here?

Thank you for the kind words, I'm very much looking forward to meet you sometime, but so far the distance prevented me to do that.
As for photos, I'm behind the lens on almost all that my cameras are making. It's something like this;

I'll try to find something more informative later today.

dubravko

Just a question for VMPS owners (either speakers and factory owners.. :D)how can a soundstage be so huuuge??
I found the bass very dry so far (please note, only 2 hours playing..). I would expect something more from the 30 M, but I guess is rather normal since the cones still have to get loose and go through the whole break in process..

Bass will relax and extend, but since you listen without WG, try to attenuate mids and treble a bit. Just go slow.
Another thing, overly huge soundstage (but without focus) and lack of bass may indicate out of relative phase connection somewhere. Check your cables to be sure, it can easily happen, especially during excitement with new equipment.

Pacio

The huge soundtage is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing since it is with a razor sharp focus. the crossing point is 2 feet in front of me and it works just fine.
As for playing with mid-highs adjustments, I planned not to make anything as long as you tell me to do this. If you think even with few hours I can start, I will do. Otherwise I will wait..
One thing, I hear more bass around the room than in the sweet spot, a room mode?
Cheers,
Marco

Early B.

Pacio --

Can you post pictures of your room? I'm interested in the placement of your speakers.

John Casler

The huge soundtage is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing since it is with a razor sharp focus. the crossing point is 2 feet in front of me and it works just fine.
As for playing with mid-highs adjustments, I planned not to make anything as long as you tell me to do this. If you think even with few hours I can start, I will do. Otherwise I will wait..
One thing, I hear more bass around the room than in the sweet spot, a room mode?
Cheers,
Marco

Hi Marco,

You are correct.  If you hear Low Bass anywhere in the room, it is being produced by the speaker.  When it is not heard in other positions, that is because it is being cancelled by room dimensions.

Things to try:

Bass Traps and acoustical treatments that reduce the interaction of the bass energy

Moving the listening position forward or backward an inch at a time to see where the best response is (and beleive it ot not, an ich can make a noticable difference)

Moving your speakers closer together or farther apart

Placing the woofers to face in, or face out and see what gives the best bass.

Placing the speakers (if possible) along both the short walls, and long walls to see if they interact with the room better.

Moving the speakers closer to the walls, may give you more boundary reinforcement.

Reversing the slot on the bottom, so that it fires to the rear instead of forward.

If and when possible, open all the windows, and doors in the room.  This reduces reflected bass from that area (or changes the timing of the reflection if it opens into another room) and is similar to adding a bass trap there, except it doesn't "trap" it, it just lets it keep traveling.

Each of these might offer a differing bass sonic in your room, and finding the right combination of them can maximize your Lower Frequencies.

BobRex

Definitely, please Dubravko post a picture here!

Well part of it is the coherence of the speaker (all of your timing queues are arriving simultaneously), part of it is due to the low diffraction of the cabinet, part of it is the pseudo line array of the drivers (lines typically provide larger soundstages than pont source speakers) and part of it is your room.

It all just works together.

Pacio

Early B.,
I would be glad to make it, once I figure it out. Post them as soon as I can..

Marco

Pacio

Well..John..so many things to do, I better start right now, otherwise I have to spend my summer in doing this (not a bad thing though.. :wink:).
I will try to move the speakers few inches apart, closer to the walls. If this doesn't work will try to move the listening position some inches back..
At least tomorrow I will post here some pictures of my set up, so that you can have a better idea on what the matter is.
Thank you, will keep you updated.
I'm so happy with my RM30 Ms :angel:
Cheers,
Marco

Housteau

Along with all the great suggestions that John mentioned, you may want to take some frequency measurements.  You could be surprised to find that what you may think is a dip at your listening position may in fact be the smoothest response in the room.  The increased bass energy you experience when moving about in your room may actually be peaks that you would want to avoid.  More bass is not always better, or accuate.

dubravko

Cheers,
Marco

Your sweet spot is well spaced from all walls, so it is to be expected that you wont have as much bass as with sitting close to a wall. Tonal balance changes very much with WG off, so you don't have to wait to adjust mids and treble accordingly. Just go slow, you'll find optimum setting in an hour or so.  Passive radiators adjustment may wait some time until speakers burn-in.

dubravko

For all of you nice people who communicate with me and asked to actually see with whom you are dealing with.

This one was taken by my daughter Matilda around a year ago. Like John Casler at his photos, I'm also in my business suit.
Greetings to all...

Pacio

I agree that the lowest bass is not always the best bass. anyway I just want to try to find the best set up as possible with my speakers. From the John's "to do list", I already tried the following:   

Things to try:

Bass Traps and acoustical treatments that reduce the interaction of the bass energy

Moving the listening position forward or backward an inch at a time to see where the best response is (and beleive it ot not, an ich can make a noticable difference) I had better bass response at 3 feets away from the speakers, but I lost the "you are there" factor, the bass was more present but not as tight as before, I also lost some razor sharp focus, even if the stage remained huge. I do prefer the original position

Moving your speakers closer together or farther apart I moved the speakers closer, no results, and some inches apart closer to the wall, without any difference in bass response

Placing the woofers to face in, or face out and see what gives the best bass. This is the next trial I will do!

Placing the speakers (if possible) along both the short walls, and long walls to see if they interact with the room better.As soon as I can post pictures, you will see that I have a funny shaped living room space, very articulated and uneven, the actual speakers position is the only one I can have there.

Moving the speakers closer to the walls, may give you more boundary reinforcement.

Reversing the slot on the bottom, so that it fires to the rear instead of forward.

If and when possible, open all the windows, and doors in the room.  This reduces reflected bass from that area (or changes the timing of the reflection if it opens into another room) and is similar to adding a bass trap there, except it doesn't "trap" it, it just lets it keep traveling.

Each of these might offer a differing bass sonic in your room, and finding the right combination of them can maximize your Lower Frequencies.
I will post some photos soon, so that you kind guys will have a better picture of my set up.
In the meanwhile, thank you very much for your precious help!
Cheers,
Marco

Pacio

As promised, here I am to post some pictures of my set up.
Please, John, Dubravko, Early B. and the other kind gentlemen here wanting to help me with any advice..

I find the dark oak finish to be beautiful..did I say I love it?
Cheers,
Marco
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2007, 10:20 am by Pacio »

meilankev

Marco,

As a long-term VMPS owner, I have only one question for you.  You stated the following:
the finish and the look is top quality (also my Significant Others love them!).

So, do all Italian men have multiple wives like you do?  aa

Just kidding - congrats on your new speakers!!!!!
Kevin