Yet another Newb question.

marsh

Yet another Newb question.
« on: 23 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm »
I'm preparing to order everything for my new home theater, but I'm stuck on the speakers. The more I read the more good options I come up with.

Decisions made:
Pre/processor:  Emotiva MMC-1
Amp:   Emotiva LPA-1
DVD: Oppo DV-981HD

Speakers:
I have been reading about Axiom, Rocket, Aperion, Ascend and ERA. My budget is $3000 and I'll be using it for 60/40 audio/video. My room is approx 10x20. I don't live in an area where I can audition any of these brands.

Levi

Re: Yet another Newb question.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2007, 01:30 am »
I am using Sonus Faber Home with matching center channel and REL sub.  This worked for me. 

Good luck.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2007, 02:00 am »
The Ascends are a tremendous value.  The Rockets are maybe a bit more music friendly, but more expensive too.  The Ascends would allow more budget for a good sub.

Bryan

PhishPhan

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:06 am »
In a room that narrow you may want to invest in some acoustical treatments if you haven't already. Putting aside $500 for treatments and $2500 would be a better use of the cash IMO.

As far as speakers go, check out polk audio. They make some very nice stuff. My first decent set of speakers was a pair of Polk Audio RTI-38s, and they were a special little pair for the money.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2007, 10:16 am »
I use Ascend Acoustics across the front of my HT.  The older CBM-170s are good all around speakers and the newer CBM-200 matches them just fine.  No problems with ordering/shipping.  Very high content value, but the finishes (especially on the older ones) wasn't much to write home about (the new one is a definite step up).  The CBM-170s image like champs and are very toneful/musical, unlike many HT or studio speakers that are all about detail but leave the life of the music out.  Think of a pencil sketch versus a color painting.

My priority is audio, not HT.  The CBM-170s were in a combination audio/HT setup.  IMO they are overkill for just HT, but they were available.