ModWright Instruments SWL 9.0SE Upgrade Options!

modwright

ModWright Instruments SWL 9.0SE Upgrade Options!
« on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:48 pm »
Okay, we have already made available, the tube-rectifier upgrade for existing SWL 9.0SE customers.  We have also announced availability of the new custom MWI remotes.  There has also been discussion about the new MWI caps that are used in our phono products and in the new LS 36.5.  We have decided to make a complete list of the upgrade options for all new and existing SWL 9.0SE (Special Edition) preamps.

1) Tube rectified power supply upgrade = $500 + shipping.
2) MWI full signal path cap upgrade (MWI custom Teflon film/foil and Metalized Oil Impregnated Poly caps = $500 + shipping.
3) MWI Custom remote with new PIC chip (20-pin socketed chip - user replaceable) = $75 + shipping.

These are the ONLY upgrades that we are offering for the SWL 9.0SE LS.  Please see the dealer from whom you purchased your existing SWL 9.0SE unit to arrange for the upgrades.

The new SWL 9.0SE (Signature Edition) - $2995 retail, includes all of these upgrades and are only available from ModWright Instruments dealers.

We decided to make the upgrades available as a cost-effective upgrade path for those who own the SWL 9.0SE and love it for its performance, but want to make the next step without having to sell their gear and buy something else.

These upgrades make a significant difference in the performance of the 9.0SE, including increased body, weight, detail and a slightly warmer tonal balance.  Additionally, customers have commented that the unit is actually quieter and has better bass response after the upgrades.  The PS upgrade is immediately apparent when you receive the unit back.  The cap upgrade will take 200-400+ hours for the MWI Teflon and MOIP caps to fully break in.  Once broken in however, the complete upgrade is VERY good.

The LS 36.5 is also now shipping, and at $4995 IS the best unit that we offer to date.  It includes the tube rectified supply, full MWI cap upgrade and new remote of course, as well as balanced inputs and outputs, lower noise floor, revised "QFM" 'mu' stage, developed with Alan Kimmel.  The unit also uses a pair of 6H30 tubes in Teflon tube sockets and with the new and improved build quality and improved tube circuit, brings about an entirely higher level of resolution, detail, air and sonic realism that must be experienced.

We at ModWright Instruments Inc - MWI - strive to continue to offer very high quality products and excellent customer service.  We also want to provide attractive upgrade paths allowing you to upgrade within the MWI family of products.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan W.

HumanMedia

Re: ModWright Instruments SWL 9.0SE Upgrade Options!
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2007, 08:41 am »
I have the tube rectifier upgrade and love it!, but I still have the original caps.

What is the difference in sound between the old caps and the new ones?

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2007, 05:32 am »
The cap upgrade improves detail and resolution, while also adding more body and weight, due to the MOIP caps.  The teflon films are of a higher quality than the Sonicaps and will result in even greater overall resolution.

My tech upgraded his unit in two separate steps and while he loves the tube rectified PS and has done A LOT of tube rolling with it, he says that in his opinion, the cap upgrade was at least as significant as the tube rectifier upgrade.

A note to those who are considering buying a new SWL 9.0SE.  Ask your dealer about the 9.0 'Signature' version because the Sig. version includes both upgrades for only $500 more, retail.

Thanks,

Dan

HumanMedia

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2007, 05:48 am »
Tempting, tempting...

If I have tube rect upgrade, do i need the caps in the power supply upgraded as well?

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2007, 10:38 pm »
The cap upgrade actually refers to the critical signal and power supply decoupling caps on the tube board, not the power supply.  They are two separate upgrades. Each upgrade option is $500 for stock 9.0SE owners and each has a significant positive impact on the sound of the unit.  They both improve soundstage, add body, resolution and detail to the unit while taking the voicing just slightly to the wamer side without any lack of detail or resolution.

Thanks,

Dan

Harmon

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 11:56 pm »
Hi Dan

Nice high quality upgrade options.  What is the output impedance of the new Signature Version SWL 9.0SE preamp? 

Papajin

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2007, 10:35 pm »
Hi Dan!

I have a couple quick questions.  First, I'm considering sending my SWL 9.0SE in for upgrades, but my unit came direct from the factory.  If I decide to do this, would you prefer that I get in contact directly with you, or would you prefer I start working through my local dealer (JAM'n Audio since I'm in the Chicago area)?

Does the SWLP 9.0 SE already have all the upgrades, or are they available for it?

Thanks!

Doug

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2007, 11:41 pm »
First of all, please support your dealer.  For all upgrades, please go through the dealer that you purchased the unit from.  In this case, please do support your local dealer and call Joe at Jam'n Audio.

The SWLP 9.0SE upgrade does include the tube-rectified PS and the cap upgrade.

Thanks,

Dan W.

HumanMedia

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2007, 12:08 am »
I previously had the tube rect upgrade with Mullard tube and now my more recent cap upgrade has about 300 hours on it, so here are my impressions of the cap upgrade in addition to the tube rect upgrade.

What the cap upgrade adds in my system is a more detailed and direct midrange. Its not accentuated, just has more microdynamics and is more present.  It also seems slightly smoother and controlled right across the frequency response range.

The two upgrades (tube rect and cap) definitely work well together and are very complimentary.  Overall the feeling is more natural and neutral. I wonder if this is a taste of the general sound of the 36.5 ?  The 6Moons description of the 36.5 seems to roughly match what I am hearing with the two SWL upgrades.

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:58 am »
The 9.0SE cap and tube rectified supply upgrades give you some of the tonality of the 36.5, but not the weight, soundstage, body, presence and musicality of the 36.5.  It is true that these upgrades give the 9.0SE and 36.5 the cap upgrade and tube supply in common, but there is a lot more happening in the 36.5.

The tube circuit is completely re-designed, utilizes the 6H30 tube instead of the 5687, has 4x lower noise floor, ~1/6 of the output impedance - 110ohm (36.5) opposed to 600ohm (9.0SE).  There are two less capacitors directly in the signal path in the 36.5 vs. the 9.0SE and the 36.5 offers balanced outputs and phase inversion on the fly via the remote.

Both products are excellent and in my opinion, offer performance way beyond their respective $3,000 and $5,000 price-points.  I guess I just wanted to clarify what Srajan already points out in his review, that the LS 36.5 is not a 9.0SE with a pretty face ;).

Thanks,

Dan W.

VW

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2007, 06:58 am »
I thought I might chime in with some listening impressions of the 9.0SE with tube rectified power supply and MWI cap upgrade ( with 500+ hours ). The Modwright was being run in , in my second system in conjunction with a new pair of Nu Force Ref 9 V2 SE's.   As I have yet to listen to it in my main listening room,  I will refrain from passing on my own detailed listening impressions thus far.  However during run-in,  I got some PFZZZ type noises from time to time.  I had a technician check out the Modwright and some interconnects which I thought may have been causing the problem. Both were o.k. and the tech suspected some oxidation of the RCA's on my old Denon CD player I was using for run-in,  in conjunction with the narrow earthing point on the  bullet plug terminated Eichmann interconnects I was using. 

The upshot of this is that the tech from Reg Mills Audio (a long standing well respected HI FI outlet  in Brisbane, Australia ) commented " we were absolutely gobsmacked at the sound of the Modwright " and " it almost brought tears to our eyes while listening ."  The unit it replaced was a $6500   
( U.S. $5500 ) Plinius pre-amp, which it significantly bettered.  Dan's comment that his products represent good value should not be taken lightly, as these comments were from seasoned audio professionals.  Incidentally, I hadn't even installed my Mullard 5AR4 or  NOS RCA 5687's ( which I was saving for post run-in )and was running the Modwright with the Sovtek and stock Jan Phillips 5687's.