Drivers in the original wood 7.0?

Dozer

« on: 2 Aug 2003, 06:06 pm »
Is it the 8545 and 9300?    Just curious, there is an auction for a set of wood 7's on agon, and the seller doesn't know the driver models.   At the right price, it's worth it to have the backup set of drivers for my jaguars...  but only if its the 9300.   Anybody know?

Marbles

Re: Drivers in the original wood 7.0?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2003, 06:11 pm »
Quote from: Dozer
Is it the 8545 and 9300?    Just curious, there is an auction for a set of wood 7's on agon, and the seller doesn't know the driver models.   At the right price, it's worth it to have the backup set of drivers for my jaguars...  but only if its the 9300.   Anybody know?

They were stock with the 9300, but you could in later years "upgrade" to the 9500.

With the age of these I would bet his has the 9300's.

jones rush

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:13 am »
Why, aren't these drivers being sold separately anymore ?.

Dozer

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:27 am »
Yes they're available, in the ballpark of $450/set .

The wood 7.0s on Agon are at $355 with an hour to go.   I was considering bidding up to at least the cost of the driver set... since they match my prize speakers and you never know... I actually might be the kind of customer who would love the wood 7.0 just the way they are.    The driver match made it a risk free proposition.

But I just spent the money on a guitar so I'm afraid I wasted everyone's time with this thread...

I recommend someone buy those wood 7's!    One hour to go.

Me, I got a Leo era G&L instead...   can't have everything.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:46 am »
Hey! I love those older G&L's!  A friend of mine had a guitar shop and had several cool G&L trade-ins that would come through the door.  I played several but never pulled the trigger.  Did you get one of the really older ones?  I was never a big fan of the early,early G&L's because they looked strange and I believe they had a three bolt neck.  They would sell (on the used market) for pretty cheap and were very nice to play.  The G&L's of about 5 years ago (last time I played one) were very nice.  I almost picked up an ASAT, hollow-body with those cool Z shaped PU's.   It had a maple neck and blue flameburst body.  Didn't get it because it felt neck-heavy.  Great frets and nice neck, but this particular guitar never felt right around my neck.  I hear the modern G&L's have veneered finishes and are not solid wood like the older ones.  I hope this isn't true.  I never played a veneered Strat/Tele-type guitar that sounded good to me.  Something about the glue they use that kills the tone.  

Best of luck with the G&L.  Even though I didn't like looks of the older G&L I played a while back in my local guitar shop ( HEP Guitars...) the guitar was one of the easiest playing, best sounding Fender-type guitar, and a real value for the money.  I had too many guitars at the time and by the time I decided which one to sell, it was gone.  

Show us some pix of the new axe!  What does it look like?  

J

Dozer

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:08 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2547637338&category=38083&rd=1

Who knows whether it was a deal or not, but I hadda have it.  It's a 1989, even though the auction says it's a 1991.  I corresponded quite a bit with the seller and figured it out by the SN and features.   Some believe the G&Ls were made better when Leo was alive (till 1991), and I guess I'll find out.  

I also happen to have a 2001 cherryburst ASAT (a real creampuff) and a Strat Plus  - yeah I know I should try a Les Paul or PRS or something for variety.  Somehow I felt I chanced on a real nice thing with this guitar...  maybe paid a little more than I wanted in the final sniping war, but I actually expected it to cost more.   I got a good vibe from the seller and have the feeling I'm gonna like this one.

Honestly though - this is what knocked me off my nOrh 7.0 plans ...

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:27 am »
Cool!  That's a sweet looking little axe.  Lightweight, P-90's (I have always loved P90's but never played them on a strat).  Played a Les Paul with P's and (although they were a little noisy, it was an older model) I loved the tone.  The newer P's are much quiter.  That guitar should give you a sound that is much different than a normal Tele twang.  Although P90's are single coil PU's, they sound very different, in my experience, than the PU's in Strats and Tele's.  The only thing I don't like about that guitar is the neck radius.  I have a Strat with the same radius and it's difficult to bend strings (versus modern neck radius's which are larger, giving you a much flatter fretboard).  Some people, however, love the old-school radius because it's easier to play chords.  Guess it's whatever you are used to.

The deal looks good to me.  I'd rather pay a bit more for something in good shape, than save a few bucks and regret it in the long run.  That guitar looks solid and isn't too heavy which I love.  Best of luck!

Jack