LF100 or dual 100N/55N+ monos

jonwb

LF100 or dual 100N/55N+ monos
« on: 21 Apr 2007, 08:23 pm »
The first amp that really made my GR-Reasearch Alpha LS speakers sing was the AKSA 100N+ that was sent around a couple years ago.  For some reason it really matched well with my speaks.  Now my current amps (Audire Nobile II's) do a damn fine job, but for some reason I (and my wife) seem to recall pretty vividly that the AKSA amp just sounded better, especially at more modest volumes. 

At the time I bought my Nobles I simply could not afford to build a 100N+.  To be clear I'm not exactly roughing it, but that bug is always there wondering (suspecting/knowing), if we'd be more pleased with one of Hugh's babies.

Which brings me to my query...  If I sold all of my audio gear that I could live without (including my Noble's) I could probably swing one of Hugh's amps.  Question is which config?  For about the same price (maybe a bit cheaper) I could build a set of 100N (woofers)/55N+ (tweets) monos instead of a 100LF.

Which setup would be better?  Opinions?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm by jonwb »

PSP

Re: LF100 or dual 100N/55N+ monos
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2007, 08:52 pm »
Jon,
I have both 100N+ and LF55 and have compared them under two circumstances:

Bedroom system, driving GR Research Paradox 1 monitors.  Bedroom is normal size, 12 x 15???  P1s are about 88db.

Main system, driving GR Research Paradox 3 floorstanders.  Room is large, L-shaped, 38 feet long on the long part of the "L".  Base of the L is 20 x 16 or so.  P-3s are ~ 90db.

In the bedroom, there is no contrast.  The LF55 will steal your heart, soul, and mind in about 5 seconds.

In the larger main room, the LF55 can get conjested during large orchestral works while the 100N+ just continues to kick butt.  If I was continuing with the P3s, I would have to save until I could do an LF100 (I've just completed my Orions, LF55 tweets, 100N+ on the mids, 100N+ on the bass) and I still have an LF55 in the bedroom system (now driving the P3s).  Obviously, my audio budget is way tapped out for now....

Sorry to be brief.. I'm in a scoot right now.  Happy to answer questions later.
Peter

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2007, 01:35 am »
Thanks Peter,

Theft of heart, soul and mind is a very serious offence....  I think we should talk this over, don't you?   :lol:

Jon,

Thanks for your post;  it's difficult to add to Peter's comments, he's upstaged me utterly, but he's right.  If I were you, and you liked the AKSA, I believe you will love the Lifeforce.  It's certainly more expensive, but the advantage is that it's fully built as modules, warrantied, and very easy to hook up and get going.  In the meantime your monoblocs will serve you well!

Cheers,

Hugh

DSK

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2007, 08:48 am »
Jon, having had the 100N+ for a couple of years and now the LF100, I have to say that this is a 'no brainer'. A single LF100 will easily outperform a pair of N+'s bi-amped. Rather than sounding like a small refinement of the N+, the LF is actually quite a leap forward. It is the most pure and natural sounding amp I've heard, but with V12 drive. My current speakers are only 83-84db sensitivity but the single LF100 drives them in my 24'x19'x9' room (and one corner open to other rooms) without a sweat. It sounds much more powerful and effortless than other 100w amps I've heard (inc. the 100N+).