Mesa + Audition pack review
« on: 2 Aug 2003, 02:23 am »
Posted!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4008

Thank you Wayne for the opportunity!

nature boy

Mesa + Audition pack review
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2003, 06:51 pm »
Here's a copy of my review and comparison to the Chris Own dAck.  Wayne thanks for making the audition pack available and for producing such a great product.

"Well it looks like Danny beat me to the punch with a review of the Bolder Cable Company modified ART DI/O and the Chris Own dAck. For the record, my comparison consisted of the Bolder MENSA modified ART DI/O (a step up from the SMART DI/O unit Danny listened to) and stock dAck unit (Danny modified the caps).

I used the Bolder Cable M-80 cryo digital cable, but kept my Groneberg Quattro Reference IC's in for the comparison as I preferred the sound compared to the M-80 interconnects. My system is listed in the system section. An extensive listening comparison of ~ 30 hours total during the last week was performed, in between yard work, fall cleaning, and completing my "honey do" list during the second week of my summer vacation.

I have to say that in general, my observations are very similiar to Danny's with a couple of exceptions which I'll note below. Suffice it to say, these two DAC's are simply put "great products which offer cheapskate audiophiles a chance to step into the big leagues of digital sound reproduction with a decent transport or dedicated CD player."

My extended listening test were also completed on Saturday, as a Sunday listening session with fellow Audio Circle members vanished with various scheduling conflicts.

My listening was done in system using my Audible Illusions M3A preamp as well as DAC's link up directly to the DNA LA-100 (Don Nance modified ART SLA-1). BTW, this is a very nice amplifier which I'll be posting additional comments about shortly. I generally listened to a full CD using the MENSA then switched out for the dAck keeping sound levels as close together as possible with a RAT Shack decibel meter.

As previously noted and oberved by Danny, the inline bybee is the real deal. I found it performed best with the MENSA unit more so than with the dAck. In my system, I felt the stand alone dAck w/out the bybee filter sounded a bit more realistic.

MENSA Observations

Includes MENSA unit and Waynes special power supply w/ intermittent use of an in-line Bybee filter.

Fully agree with Danny's comments - a huge improvement over the stock unit and his services are highly recommended. The audition kit with in-line bybees, M-80 cryo and standard cables and three types of power cords provided for an almost Christmas like atmosphere in my listening room.

The in-line bybees added more smoothness and increased detail. A four thumbs up rating    
Same for the nitro power cord. I have been using the type 1 and type 2 cords in my system for over a year. The nitros, well they are a major step up. Hearing is believing.

With Wayne's power supply the unit has a low noise floor and much better sound than the stock power supply provided with the ART DI/O.

The end result - a very detailed and resolving sound that had me thoroughly engaged in all types of music - jazz, orchestral, pop, etc. An extended airy treble combined with a deep, clear powerful bass response. These are two areas where I thought the MENSA bettered the dAck, keeping in mind that my dAck unit has the stock caps. As previously noted, the in-line bybees just made things better, a touch smoother, more refined, and quieter.    

dAck Observations

The dAck is a simple unit, just a nice stainless steel case and battery charger. I should note that charging the battery after use was simple and did not eat into my listening time. I had the unit on a couple times for extended listening and break in (12-14 hours straight). During these lengthy periods it took no more than 1 hour to fully recharge. Shorter listening sessions took 10-15 minutes.

Out of the box the first thing one notices about this DAC is what is lacks - any noise. This is absolutely the quietest piece of audio gear I have ever heard - or more accurately not heard. This created an almost eerie listening experience, especially in the late evening or early morning, and imparted a very special quality to the music.

My only complaints about it before was the top end seamed a little soft and it lacked a little bit of detail in the highs. I also thought at times that the bottom end seamed like it lacked a little extension or tightness when compared to the bolder modded DI/O too. Not much though.

The sonic signatures of the MENSA and the dAck are different. On vocals, jazz, and pop recordings the dAck has an edge on the MENSA unit. With vocals in particular, the dAck invokes a special quality approaching some of the very finest vinyl playback (my personal reference) that I have ever heard in the digital realm. This is the first time I have ever heard digital playback in my system approach the quality of a top notch reference vinyl recording. I also have to give this unit four big thumbs up    

I moved into orchestral and opera recordings, the dAck exposed its weaknesses IMHO. The highs simply did not match the extension and clarity of MENSA. I my deep bass torture test, in went the Gladiator sound track, a couple of organ recordings, and some classic orchestral pieces. While the MENSA excelled with a deep, quick, and clear bass (w/good distinction between instruments) things got a little murky with the dAck.

I think that Danny's cap modification to the dAck accounts for differences in our observations about this unit. Any observations from Danny, Chris Own or others would be welcome.

Round Up

That said, I am at a bit of a loss to say which DAC I liked the best. To my ears the MENSA sounded more tonally accurate across the full frequency spectrum - maintaining a cleaner and clearer deep bass and upper treble response. If you listen to a lot of classical music, this may be the DAC for you.

If you listen to jazz, vocals, or more intimate music the dAck may be more to your liking. The dAck's no over sampling, no filtering, battery power, and low jitter design really imparts a special quality to the music. If the deep bass and treble response can be improved with different caps, I would be hard pressed not to recommend this DAC to anyone - period.

I also agree with Danny's observation about the dAck. Listening to it reminded me of when I first heard a good tube amp (Quicksilver) with Vandersteen speakers. The glorious mid-range just "sucked you in". As Danny mentions there is something to be said for a simple design. Vocals got lush, gooey, smooth, and really natural. Vocals had no sharp edge and could be listened to for hours.

Others may get a different opinion from these two units, me I am hoping Chris Own will incorporate the cap changes recommended by Danny as I view his product "almost sonic nirvana but just needing a tighter, cleaner deep bass and more extended treble. "

Again my congratulations to both Wayne W. and Chris Own for not only making some great products, but also providing an opportunity through the MENSA audition kit and dAck in home trials for folks to listen to these top notch DAC's in their own systems where it really counts.

Chris Own dAck

http://ack.dhs.org/

Wayne W. Bolder Cable Company

http://www.boldercables.com

FYI, your mileage and listening pleasure as always may vary."