Large spindel hole in 45rpm single

Adinoto

Large spindel hole in 45rpm single
« on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:40 am »
Hi,
I just got a Nina Simon 45rpm single, but it has large spindel hole (around 1.5").
Is there any device that can be used with this record so it can play on standart spindel?

Thanks in advance

mjosef

Re: Large spindel hole in 45rpm single
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2007, 05:01 am »
You need the 45rpm adapter. Check the needledoctor site, or any site selling turntable accessories.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/45-RPM-Adapters

mdelrossi

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:24 pm »
Adinoto,
No disrespect just a question, How old are you?
I ask this because I've been wondering (since I've turned 50) how short our collective memory is.
For instance I remember my uncle pulling out a magnetic wire recorder. But I've never hand cranked a Victrola, nor would I know if there was a different needle or horn to use with different records.
Just a question.
thanks

Adinoto

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2007, 03:26 am »
I'm almost forty,
But the thing is I come from poor country where records never really existed (at least in average people's life)
Things different in different country huh?

Marty Freeman

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:08 am »
I'm almost forty,
But the thing is I come from poor country where records never really existed (at least in average people's life)
Things different in different country huh?

Especially true with respect to 45 RPM singles.  In the USA they have always had the large spindle hole.  RCA developed the 45 RPM format along with a very compact record changer that had the record handling mechanism within the spindle, hence the large hole.  This allowed a very rapid changing cycle.  Originally there was no compatibility between the 45 and 78 standards.  Different speeds, disk sizes, and groove widths meant different mechanisms so the hole size made no difference.  When Columbia came out with the LP, turntables were developed that would play all three speeds. 

In the UK and Australia, 45 RPM records typically were made with the same small spindle hole as other speeds.  A special punch or saw called a "dinker" is used to enlarge the hole in British 45s to allow them to play on US-made jukeboxes. 

In your case a small plastic insert can be snapped in to each disk, a round spacer can be placed over the spindle of a single-play turntable, or a special adapter (unique to each manufacturer or model) can be used in place of or slipped onto the spindle of an automatic changer to accommodate the large center hole.