Tube Mono Blocks... here at LAST!!!

Wayne1

« on: 1 Aug 2003, 08:16 pm »
Some of you may recall my talking about some new tube amps from Radii Audio.

There had been a few delays and extra time in R&D.

Finally, this morning the FedEx guy shows up with three LARGE boxes. He is whining about the weight and the steps :?

I haul in the boxes and start unpacking. I had no idea what these would look like when I ordered them. I spec'ed out what I wanted, to match with the VMPS speakers and based on the stereo power amp.

I think they look really good :D

They are 75 watts output. Class A. They have 2) JJ 12AU7s for drivers and 4) JJ EL-34s. They have very nice gold binding posts for each tap at 4, 8 and 16 ohm. Coupling caps are paper in oil. Each tube has its own bias control that can be seen on the digital readout on the front of the amp. The readout can also be switched off.

I have three of them now to use with my front channels. I will be bringing a pair of these to demo at VSAC. They will be added to the website as soon as break-in is done and I am happy with the sound. Ballpark pricing is $1,000.00 per amp.

Here is a pair of them happily heating up my room :lol:

hk29

« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2003, 08:50 pm »
WOW!! :o  They look sweet!!

How about some pictures of the back :)

I can't wait for your review ...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2003, 09:08 pm »
VERY nice!!  Congrats on finally getting them in, I'm sure they sound sweet.  When can I come over and listen to them :-)

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2003, 09:50 pm »

Here is a fairly poor shot of the back of one of the mono blocks.

The binding posts do accept 1/4" spades. :)

Tyson,

I am going to be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks with the family.

The tubes and all the components do need some time to break-in. Maybe I'll have a DAM meeting around the 16th. I'll post in the DAM circle when I know for sure.

Kishore

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2003, 11:20 pm »
Wayne, I wish you were my neighbhor  8) ..I'd luv to hear your/DAM feedback on these amps..I wonder how well they will drive the RM40s...

Cheers,
Kishore

brad b

Radi looking Radii!!!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2003, 12:19 am »
WOW!!  I now have a yearning for a tube toy...That doesn't sound very good, does it....?

Congratulations Wayne, I'll be over in November when it's about 15 degrees outside.  Can we put our wet socks over the top of those things?

Seriously, can't wait to hear the whole setup.  Should be fabulous.
Brad

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2003, 12:23 am »
Very nice! Can't wait until they are broken in and we get to hear them.

Mike

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2003, 12:59 am »
Wow, they're beautiful!   :o   Do keep us in the loop!

I can say from personal experience that the Radii amps are built like tanks.  No problem at all on my 300B single ended triode integrated amp that Wayne custom spec'ed for me last year.

TLS

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:52 am »
Wayne,

You said you specd them for VMPS my questions is which one? RM40, RM2 626R???  They look great but my guess is for them to work for the 40's they should me configured for about 150 watts or more in push pull.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2003, 02:14 am »
I guess I should have said I spec'ed them to work with the VMPS ribbons. :?

While there are some great tube amps with high current, I personally feel, to really get pant flapping bass, you do need a solid state amp :)

These tube amps should be very good for bi-amping the 40s with a multi-hundred watt SS amp for the woofers.

I am presently using them on my 626Rs and LRC.

I do use a QSC pro sound amp to drive my Larger sub

TLS

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2003, 06:13 pm »
Well since you got that magic touch.........Do you think you have have Radii build some mono's that will drive the RM40's??  Just a thought.   :)

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2003, 02:39 am »
Dammit Wayne, if those things sound better than my Radii I am going to have to seriously hurt you.

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2003, 03:37 pm »
Some of the DAM got together yesterday afternoon to listen the the Radii GS-75PP mono-blocks in comparison to a couple of very good amps.

Here is the link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4158