Decent phono stages for less than $300

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Decent phono stages for less than $300
« on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:12 pm »
A couple of years ago, I was able to survey almost 20 phono preamps for under $2000.  I came away with quite a few favorites (Tom Evans Audio, fi, EAR, Graham Slee), but what I did notice was that I didn't like any of the really inexpensive ones at all.  There were a few winners at $600, there were a couple of decent ones at around $300.  I couldn't find a single one under that amount, however, that sounded good enough for me to recommend to people on budgets.  My point has always been that a decent analog rig will outperform almost any analog rig, but few of the cheap phono stages could help me make that claim.

I think times have changes, though, in the last couple of years.  I think a few good-sounding, yet cheap phono stages have appeared.  I've heard the Bellari, and it seemed to do nothing that wrong.  (I did hear the NAD PP-2 and didn't think much of it.)  Has anyone else found a phono stage under $300 good enough to recommend to a newbie who wants proof that vinyl really is better than CD?

mcrespo71

Re: Decent phono stages for less than $300
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:18 pm »
I've heard the REGA FONO MM version, which I thought was very nice.  I think it was about $300.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:19 pm »
A well made 80's-era receiver, integrated (some have amps outs, too, making them really flexible) or preamp from a number of sources (most of them Japanese) will fit the bill nicely:)

When phono was the only significant high-fidelity source, preamps phono stages were designed with excellence in mind. It also allows one to consolidate to one 'box' as it were for all pre-amplication needs in the system.  I also think cartridges, with their miniscule outputs, benefit from less connections (one box = one set of rca's :wink:) Less processing of that type is really more with vinyl.

You can routinely find these gems for under $300 on ebay, Audiogon, pawn shops, goodwill stores. If they need re-capping and newbie isn't handy, $200 more in time goes a long was at a local TV/Stero repir facility on simple updates like this.

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:22 pm »
Channel Islands VPP-1 is exactly $300 & worth every penny.   

As time goes on & the desire to upgrade becomes apparent, there's a clear upgrade path for this phono preamp.

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:31 pm »
I've read about but have no personal experience with a device named the Shure M65 which was current in the '60's and has a great reputation.  Probably still available but you must move quickly as they go fast.  MM type w/ 47K ohm loading and 44dB gain.  Uses tubes!

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:00 pm »
I still use my old Hafler DH-101 as the emergency phono preamp of last resort.
You can find em used for $50...

How's that!

A little over 300 is the Bottlehead kit...

Quite good!!

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:06 pm »
I know that some of the phono stages on older receivers are actually quite good, but I'm thinking more in terms of being able to recommend phono preamps for people who already have preamps or receivers or integrateds that they already like.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:07 pm »

A little over 300 is the Bottlehead kit...

Quite good!!

After spending time with the Paramour monoblocks, I believe it! Bottlehead rocks!

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:15 pm »
I know it's not $300 or under..but the Gram Amp 2SE @ $400 is the new benchmark of the ones I've heard. And it's upgradable with the same power supply as the Gold or Reflex....

Otherwise, carefull shopping for used phono amps where the seller is 'upgrading' would be the way to go IMO. NOTE: haven't heard the REGA or Channel Islands....

WEEZ

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:38 pm »
Hey!

You know I've never heard this one in person but I found the $250 Bellari VP129 very interesting.

I don't think it is a true all tubed phono pre but it seem like a good simple phono pre. I'm currently using EI 12AX7 in my Audio Note M1 phono section and I like the sound. So, maybe if you get the Bellari and pop in an EI 12AX7 in it might sound pretty good. :D

Of cause it is only MM and less flexible but for the price I think if I were looking for a phono stage around that price I will put it on my list to try. Hey! maybe you could find a used one and save some money. :D

Anyway, good luck and let us know how your search turn out. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:44 pm »
The Bellari really uses the 12AX7 tube (lots of choices available today) for 2nd harmonic flavor...but is nice all the same.  The headphone output, volume controls and subsonic filter help make it a good value (as does the unusual US-made badge for many).

However, it's only 30db of gain.  You need high output MM's at 4mv + to make it groove and boogie :drums:.  No surprise, Rolls/Bellari supplies the Pro Audio/DJ crowd phono pre's....most DJ cartridges are 4mv and higher (sometimes much higher as sound 'quality' is not often the overriding goal).

Within these constraints, it's a good unit.

Sonny

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2007, 10:46 pm »
I'd say a used Joliday JD-9 is bang for the buck, it has all the gain switches you need to accomondate any cartridge, low or high, mm or mc.
my two cents...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2007, 10:50 pm »
I've been told the Cambridge 640P and Pro-ject Phono Box SE are stellar performers in the under-$300 price range.

I'd give the edge to the Pro-ject as it's dual mono  (:o - nice) and has a few adjustments available that the Cambridge doesn't.

machine

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2007, 12:36 am »
I have the Cambridge 640p and it is really nice - very quite with wide range.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2007, 12:48 am »
I bet you could find a good TUBE BOX from Project used for 300 bucks.  That's a nice little
phono preamp that is very compact too...

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2007, 02:05 am »
Hi Guys,

I bought a number of phonostages in that price range and i didn't like any of them i.e. perreaux, musical fidelity, bugle.  I have a nice quality bluenote turntable with denon dl103 and i eventually bought a demo bluenote de medici phonostage for $800 and it is a good quality phonostage.

Many years ago i used the tape outs of a cambridge audio integrated and its phonostage was very good.

Regards

Rod

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2007, 03:19 am »
acurus p10 is supposed to be wery nice - better than lehmann black cube.  but i have no 1st-hand experience...

doug s.