Advice to replace AKG 240DF

No Hassle

Advice to replace AKG 240DF
« on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:45 pm »
Bought a set for my office running of an early 80's Onkyo amp (model 7070).  I got them without any research.  They are the 55 ohm model. I was pleased with them until they broke.  Was looking to replace them with something $150 or less. From what I have read online the AKG have strengths in the areas of comfort and soundstaging.  I live in south Jersey. What should I be considering and do any dealers have something to audition.  No Hassle.

Russell Dawkins

Re: Advice to replace AKG 240DF
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2007, 01:29 am »
I don't think I've heard any other headphone sound as nice as the 240 DF, and they don't make them anymore. Almost any other headphone is easier to drive, though. There are other AKG models that sound almost as good, such as the AKG 240 studio ($119):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/k240s
I use them and they are good, but not quite as natural and undistorted as the 240 DF, but as I say no on-the-ear headphone is, to my knowledge. I say that because I believe my Etymotic Research ER4S in-the-ear phones are as good, maybe better, but most will not tolerate the (dis)comfort of sticking them as far in the ear as they need to be to sound right.

I believe the new AKG K701 is very good, too, but a lot more money ($449).

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/full-size/akg-k-701.php

Thelonious Monk

Re: Advice to replace AKG 240DF
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2007, 01:46 am »
the k701 can be found for under $400 at various online stores. around $300 at northern sound & light, but they have pretty bad customer service.

personally i prefer the k501; it was recently discontinued and can be found for $100-$150 online still. i'm not the biggest fan of the akg kx01 headphones, but people say they sound different from the k240 series, for better or worse. there's a lot more options if you are willing to go to other brands, pm me for info.