New Punisher movie?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
New Punisher movie?
« on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:40 am »
Has anyone heard of a new movies based on the Marvel comics Punisher character?  I always liked the book, and I didn't think the Dolph Lungren movie was all bad (he made a good Punisher, but the writing was bad and they didn't give him the costume! :nono: ).

Woodsea

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:55 am »
http://www.punisherthemovie.com/
I don't care for Dolph, he is very big though.  But he has to pretty of a face for the Punisher.  I have some original comic books in my collection

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:12 am »
While I don't mind Thomas Jane as an actor, I think he's too scrawny to play Frank Castle.

Don't you agree? I think that Jason Statham woulda worked better. Though I don't know if he can do an American accent. :?

TheeeChosenOne

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:16 am »
Who the hell is Thomas Jane?

This looks like total B/C movie territory, yet again for The Punisher series.

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:19 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Who the hell is Thomas Jane?

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Jane,%20Thomas

I'm sure you've seen him in a few different movies. But he's almost always had smaller or not terribly memorable parts.

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:36 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
This looks like total B/C movie territory, yet again for The Punisher series.

It's only got a budget of $30 Mil. :(  

Not a whole lot when you look at

Blade $45 Mil
Blade II $55 Mil
X-Men $75 Mil
X2 $110 Mil
Daredevil $75 Mil
Spider-Man $139 Mil
The Hulk $120 Mil
Iron Man $75 Mil

Doesn't seem like Marvel gives a damn about The Punisher, does it?

I know Rob will appreciate it for at least one reason, if not two reasons...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
New Punisher movie?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:16 am »
Looks like they're phoning this one in, too.  Too bad.  I really liked Dolph in the role, they just needed to get a better script and some supporting actors.  I won't judge it til I see it, but that dude does NOT look like the Punisher. :nono:

On your list I saw Iron Man, Bubba.  Is that one really in the works?  That would be cool.  I imaging he'll be fighting the Mandarin, like usual. :wink:

I've read for years that there's supposed to be a Silver Surfer movie, but nothing ever comes of it.  I wish they would, as Silverado is my favorite comic book character.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
New Punisher movie?
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:50 am »
THAT'S the new punisher?  Haha, he looks like I could kick his ass.

TheeeChosenOne

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2003, 03:08 pm »
Maybe the script is lacking which is why they couldn't hook up star power.  If one agent smells a farty script, all other agent reps go scurrying into the mountains taking with them all the good actors.

Geez, this looks like a straight to cable winner.   Might as well gotten David Hasselhoff or Lorenzo Lamas.  They, at least, have the height and build to look more menacing than this little Thomas Jane character.

dogberry

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2003, 03:23 pm »
You don't need star power to pull this off.  Look at Daredevil.  That was a POS!

Thomas Jane is a fine actor and acting is all that matters.  No doubt they'll tell his origin story and hopefully not feel the need for such a circular plot (ala DD or Batman).

Production starts in September for release in summer 2004.

If they get the tone right, then I think the movie will do fine.  If they blow that, nothing will save it.

PeteG

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2003, 07:26 pm »
Never new about iron man, any info on it.

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2003, 12:07 am »
All I know of Iron Man so far is it's scheduled for release in 2005 & has a budget of $75 Mil.

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2004, 08:05 am »
Ok, just got back from seeing it.

Thomas Jane did a pretty decent job playing Frank Castle. Looks like he bulked up a good deal for the role.

Some of the dialog was less than stellar. And the score was absolutely atrocious.

I also really didn't care for the extremely blatant Year One ad. It wasn't as bad as it was in 2 Fast, but it didn't fit this movie at all where it wasn't so out of place in 2 Fast.

I kinda went back & forth for me. Sometimes it was going along pretty well, then it'd get low budget cheesy.

I still liked it. Certainly more than I liked The Hulk. I will be picking this one up on 5" (can;t say the same for The Hulk).

It was interesting how gruesome it got occasionally as well. I wasn't expecting that from a Marvel movie...

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2004, 08:09 am »
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the new Spidey 2 trailer was playing before The Punisher.

I'd heard a few weeks ago that it was going to be playing on The Punisher (which didn't make sense as Spidey is a Sony film, and Punisher is a Lion's Gate film.). And I'd also heard back then that it was one hell of a trailer.

And 'ya know what, I might have to agree. That's a trailer I'm going to get a 35mm of...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
New Punisher movie?
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2004, 08:50 am »
You can tell he bulked up to play Castle alright.  Seems like a hyperviolent film like that sorta runs counter to what you normally think of when you think of Marvel, but again the book was very violent, too.  Marvel has definately got a hot streak going, and maybe they realize they have to make movies that reflect the current styles and techniques of today & done on a real budget.  

Spidey was done in a style very true to the comic book, as was the Hulk, IMO.  I'm glad The Punisher was, too.

I liked the Hulk pretty well, but I haven't bought it either.  I'd probably pay $10 for a used one, but not much more.  So no plans to add it to my collection unless I find a stellar price on it.

On a related note, it sounds like Afflack has no desire to play DD again- man, that's good news for future DD films!  :lol:   No offense to Ben.  :wink:

bubba966

New Punisher movie?
« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2004, 03:14 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
On your list I saw Iron Man, Bubba.  Is that one really in the works?  That would be cool.  I imaging he'll be fighting the Mandarin, like usual. :wink:

Just came across this pic

Looks like you've got about 1 1/2 years to wait for Iron Man.