Mensa Audition Pack -Summary Review July 2003

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 30 Jul 2003, 07:45 am »
Due to Lotus wordpro problems, this will be more of a summary of the Mensa Audition pack.The audition pack was in my posession for 10 days. Nitro power cord ,bested both Type 1 and Type 2 cords on Krell KSA-100 mkII. More dynamic, better bass,blacker background than my HT-AC 11 power cord. M-80 non-cryo bettered M-80 cryo version. Better bass, mid, treble. M-80 cryo treble was shrill on some music. M-80 non-cryo bettered my Zu Warmouth in lower and mid-bass area, equal in treble area. Digital cable,cryo and non-cryo , could not hear any difference.Excellent build quality on all cables ! Bybee's gave a big improvement in total sound , up a notch !(connected to Krell amp inputs).I found in my system , that was the best location. Bolder powerpack ,better on stock DIO than wallwart. Mensa + sounded excellent! More detailed music,better depth and bass. Bigger soundstage ! Mids and highs very natural ! Very close to vinyl!  Sounded very non-digital ! !  Compared to both stock DIO and stock MSB Data Link III w/P1000 power base - no contest - heads above them both ! I will be sending in my stock unit for mod ! Bolder demo cd, cryo and non-cryo, no difference in music quality - but great music, nice job Wayne ! And THANK YOU Wayne for the home audition !!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2003, 07:52 am »
Cds used in main audition : "Tata Monk" ,Alex De Grassi ; " Cobalt Blue" , Michael Brook ; " Authenticity" , Blue Note sampler various artists,N. Jones,C. Wilson,Medeski Martin and Wood , C. Hunter.Dr. John , B. McFerin,St Germain ,others; "Companion" Pat Barber ; Bolder Demo cd.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2003, 07:57 am »
System   >>>>>>  link just below. >>> Thanks!! >>>. Any comment or questions welcome ! :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2003, 05:14 pm »
Interesting about the Cryo'd m80s.  I don't think I've ever heard the cryo'd version, but I do own the non-cryo'd version (speaker wire and IC), and I think they are astonishingly good for the $$.  I think it has to do w/the fact that they are encased in as little teflon as possible.  I find that thick teflon (or worse, PVC) tends to hamper transparency and dynamics.  The less insulation the better, IMO.  And the bulletplugs just kick ass.

Did you have a bybee to try out on the digital input of the Mensa?  That was one of the biggest improvements I've heard with a "tweak" in my system.  I think Wayne should offer the Mensa w/the bybee built in.  He could call it the Einstein Dio :-D

Why not just type up the review in a plain text document instead of a lotus program?

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2003, 09:02 pm »
I have the cryo'd ver of the M80s and I wouldn't describe them as such...weird.  Who knows?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2003, 09:48 pm »
Thanks for the quick review, Chris.

I hope you are able to work out your word processor problems.

Tyson,

I would have offered a Bybee option on the DI/O a long time ago, but a Bybee will not physically fit inside the DI/O's case.

At some undetermined time in the future I MAY offer a larger case option for the DI/O. Then I can fit in a much better, regulated power supply and Bybees everywhere. It will not be cheap  :roll:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:11 am »
Quote from: Tyson

Did you have a bybee to try out on the digital input of the Mensa ...
Yes,I tried the bybees on dig. cable ,on IC's, on preamp inputs,and on amp inputs.I liked the bybees best on the amp.Thats where I heard the system sound best. :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:28 am »
Quote from: JoshK
I have the cryo'd ver of the M80s and I wouldn't describe them as such...weird.  Who knows?
 As for audition testing of the M-80 IC's,I ran them between  Phillips CD-80 CDP and  Krell amp with Zu Wax SC.On the music I played , the cryo version had a piercing,shrill sound on upper ranges ( eg.- flute and trumpet on TATA MONK cd , cuts 1 & 2 & 5)(Wayne has copies of cds I used to audition).The non-cryo sounded better in all areas. Beats me, I thought cryo smoothes things out ! Both IC's had excellent details in bass and mids only hi-freq. were different.  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:31 am »
Yes Tyson, the M-80 are very good for the money ! ! ! :hyper:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:47 am »
You just need bybees on the digital input, the preamp input, the amp input, and at the speaker binding posts :-D  The effects are cumulative, I've got bybee's everywhere and love the sound I'm getting.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2003, 06:00 am »
Quote from: Tyson
You just need bybees on the digital input, the preamp input, the amp input, and at the speaker binding posts :-D  The effects are cumulative, I've got bybee's everywhere and love the sound I'm getting.
>>>  I'd also need about $1,600.00 to do it !  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2003, 06:35 am »
Watch it Robin !! Toooo much video will rot your brain cells ! ! :lol:  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2003, 07:06 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Watch it Robin !! Toooo much video will rot your brain cells ! ! :lol:  :lol:
                                                           :lol: Me thinks the Crown Royal gots there first! But, the Bybee`d video can have what`s left! :wink:  Regards, Robin
 Tushay !! :beer: