The InVicta VLA V60 System

John Casler

« on: 8 Apr 2007, 09:35 pm »
Little "pre-post" here.  This topic originated in another thread and so you are entering it "already in progress"

AR 3a?

I had a pair which came after my AR 4x monitors and before my Fisher XP7's

Some day I should go back and list all the speakers I have had since the late 60's.

Could probably fill a wherehouse :lol:

In any event I think B, shipped another pair or two this week, so more RMv60 reports should be starting to come in along side yours.

Dave Houseau's pair is "on the road", and he brought up a VERY GOOD POINT.

Some of you (Paul and Dave included) ordered the RM v60 with a Pair of VLA subs.

Ladies and Gentlemen this should not be flying "under the radar".  As good as the RM v60 is, (as Dave points out) the combination with the VLA promises to supply Sonic Perfection that likely hasn't been done before.

As good as the SuperTower III's were, they would not hold up to the this formidable combination.

Dave suggest we have a "new name" for the combo, since it doesn't do it justice to simply say it is the RM v60 with VLA subs :?

But the hard thing to do in this day and age, is to come up with a name that embraces and defines the level of performance promised by this combo.

While for sure it is a "Statement System", there are already too many "Statement" monikers attached already.

Now I know if left up to Big B, he would likely call it "The BEST" system and leave it at that, level of simplicity.

However, I agree that this Paramount of Speakerdom needs a name.

Gentlemen, if ya gottem, throw'em at us.  Can't guarrantee we'll choose yours or even any of the suggestions, but if any thing rolls off the tips of your fingers, hit ENTER and send it our way. aa
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 04:41 am by John Casler »

PLMONROE

« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2007, 10:55 pm »
How about "The Royal Quad"? :roll:

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2007, 02:00 am »
Dave suggest we have a "new name" for the combo, since it doesn't do it justice to simply say it is the RM v60 with VLA subs :?

But the hard thing to do in this day and age, is to come up with a name that embraces and defines the level of performance promised by this combo.

While for sure it is a "Statement System", there are already too many "Statement" monikers attached already.

Now I know if left up to Big B, he would likely call it "The BEST" system and leave it at that, level of simplicity.

However, I agree that this Paramount of Speakerdom needs a name.

Gentlemen, if ya gottem, throw'em at us.  Can't guarrantee we'll choose yours or even any of the suggestions, but if any thing rolls off the tips of your fingers, hit ENTER and send it our way. aa

How about one of these:

Winged Victory

Nexus Nirvana

Flights of Fantasy

Quad Squad

Cheney's Legacy System

The Finish Line

Power Forward

The Final Four 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:26 am »
I like all of the titles except Cheney's Legacy System.  Hey!  He's only in his late 50s or maybe 60 now!  There's at least a few more tricks up his sleeve.

We've all heard multiple claims about how hard it is to find great sound at CES/THE Show.  Among the best the last two years have been:

Andrew Jones' (ex-KEF) TAD 5-channel rig w/ proprietary custom MSB DACs ('07) & master source recordings, speakers about $85k/pr, Pass Labs AB monsters on the bass/pure class A on the mid/treble, estimated system value $350k

Ray Kimber's Pass Labs/Sound Lab 4-ch rig, itemized at about $320k by Ray (as Housteau mentioned dipoles w/ apparently less focus but still absolutely hugely seductive, musical, enjoyable, fantastic, natural, etc.).  Ray highlights his own recordings employing his "Iso-Mike" microphone placement technique (incorporates huge cardiod-shaped dampers between 4-microphones, unbelievably natural results)

My own 2-channel CD's sounded fantastic played back on both the above systems.

Please bear w/ me on the following, because it's setting the stage for a comparison w/ the V60. 

This is only my opinion so as usual just flush it if you disagree.  What may be the best 2-channel reproduction I've heard is the new YG Acoustics Anat Reference Professional, about $94k/pr speakers only.  This system (also driven by Pass Labs amps, interesting coincidence) was in a far more ideal room vs. the above two systems & the THE Show room in which Brian displayed the V60s. 

The YG ballroom was about 35x50 w/ about 15' ceiling, hidden in a far CES '07 corner that took serious searching to find, worth the effort.  The designer Yoav Geva wears a suit, is young, fresh & makes easy converesation.  I played a couple of my CD's, which sounded fantastic.  But when he played a longish instrumental piece by the Lord of the Dance tap dance guy, a huge orchestra w/ synthesizer, I was, well, transported away by the music.  The sweep, ebb & flow of the music, & the way it seemed to envelope just about every inch of the huge ballroom w/ sound, was very much like live music.  I made a point to travel left to right almost all the way across the room & noticed only small changes in the sound vs. what was expected.  Up/down caused bigger changes, but it was still very good in the regard.  YG's print ad text reads "...indistinguishable from live sound.  Period."  Who knows, maybe it is.

Not too many days after THE Show Brian was nice enough to help me audition in his LEDE soundroom the three-piece Trinaural system I intend to assemble: Ambrosia preamp, Center RM-V60 driven by bridged-mono Pathos Classic One Mk3, L-R 626R driven by a good stereo amp, & powered VSS. 

First, Brian's room is good, but the smaller size limits performance vs. the humongous ballroom Yoav employed.  Worth mentioning is that one of my reference CD's is by Roger West.  The recording quality is good but for whatever reason it is hard to discern all the words in the song "Flight", even on the YG Acoustics' system.  In this VMPS system I was shocked that every word was easily discerned.  The pleasure, musical impact & overall presentation equaled the lofty levels of the YG system.  IMO the huge room employed by YG provided an added sense of excitement & realness that one might associate w/ the music being played in a larger venue, vs. the smaller VMPS room.  But still, this audition cemented in my mind my hope & prediction that this VMPS system, for a very small fraction of the cost, would provide all or most of the best qualities of the best 2-channel reproduction I have heard (reproduction rather than system because the rooms were so different).

V60 owners don't be afraid to audition the YG Acoustics Anat Reference Professional speaker system.  Though the TAD & Sound Lab are superb, & I'd take either in a second, this young-gun YG appears to be designing & manufacturing higher performance loudspeakers than either.  If you respond as did I, you may agree the YG speakers are the best available other than your V60s.  You may also agree that your V60s provide equal listening enjoyment, maybe even more, at about 1/5th to 1/9th the cost (depending on subs & caps) of the YG speaker pair.  "That's a good thing", as Martha says.   

If I could afford the YGs, I would have to hear, in the same ballroom employed by Yoav, a VMPS V60-based system of the 2-channel or Trinaural variety, w/ two VLA subs.  THAT would be an interesting comparison.  At this moment I believe these two speaker designers are in their own class at the top of the heap.  It's interesting that one designer is younger, bringing what may be fresh & new ideas to the table (even though the speakers may appear to be not so different on the exterior), while the other tends toward the more mature side of the equation, w/ 30 years of hard work, hands-on experience, & immense knowledge of classical music history & artists.  Different paths & experience but similar ultra-high levels of performance.  Neat!                 

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 10:21 pm by RibbonSpeakers.net »

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2007, 02:25 pm »
My thoughts were along the lines that although the RM-V60 is a wonderful modular speaker system designed to mate well with a number of sub bass systems, once it is joined with twin VLAs, it moves beyond being just that ½ of something.  It becomes a complete system, and one that is now the current VMPS statement of the art.

To be honest, I do like the simple names such as:

The VMPS Reference Standard,

The VMPS Reference System,

The VMPS Statement,

The VMPS Grand Reference,

The VMPS Master Reference,

The VMPS Grand Statement,

etc.

They are simple, descriptive and place the speaker through the name right at the top of the food chain.  But, as John mentioned, most if not all of those names have already been used to great advantage by companies such as Infinity and Martin Logan.  I am not sure of the terms ‘Master Reference, or Grand Statement’ though, and I kind of like those.

However with that said, I really also liked the name of Elixir for the RM-X.  That denotes something magical and in many ways that is what I see fine musical reproduction being close to.  There can be those moments when the reality of the hardware disappears and we are transported to another place, another time.  Sometimes we remain, and the musicians find their way right into our rooms with us instead.  That is magic to me and the artwork displayed in my listening room even reflects that.

Maybe this magical theme can continue to this new Reference and somehow designate the class it resides in as well?  I don’t know.  Nothing ‘Grand’ really comes to mind right now.         
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2007, 03:24 pm by Housteau »

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2007, 02:42 pm »
All great ideas.

I was thinking the below is simple and hasn't been "over used" or maybe even used at all.

The VMPS InVincible

I like attention being drawn to the letter "V"

VMPS, RM V60, and VLA all have "V" in them.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:21 pm »
All great ideas.

I was thinking the below is simple and hasn't been "over used" or maybe even used at all.

The VMPS InVincible

I like attention being drawn to the letter "V"

VMPS, RM V60, and VLA all have "V" in them.

We've got a winner!!!

The "V" concept is "very" cool. Great thinking.

Other cool "v" words include victory, vainglorious, veritable, valor, valiant, enVision, and Venus. Kinda like "Venus" since she was the goddess of beauty, art, and music.   

Or how about "VMPS EnVisions Reference System" or "VMPS Valor 4 Signature System."

I like Housteau's "Grand Statement," too.

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:46 pm »
Along the lines of the V theme and keeping it magical and mythical there is The Valkyrie, winged handmaids of Odin, and of course Valhalla for the Norse heaven :).  But, do they really denote a grand design?.  Thats it, The VMPS Grand Design :).  No, that is a song from Rush.  Well, I like Rush so that works too.  Maybe it really doesn't need to be that descriptive and just a good name is enough.  I dunno  :scratch:.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:07 pm »
Oh, how about the "VMPS V.I.P."  The V.I.P. stands for "Very Impactful Presentation."

PLMONROE

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:49 pm »
I like Dave's Valhalla - how about Valhalla Mystical Pasport System? Naw, the acronym for that is VMPS and somebody already is using that.  :nono:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2007, 06:22 pm »
enVision...or
enVISION  

First letter lower case w/ upper case in the middle, ala dartZEEL, is distinctive, denotes class, & is elitist but not too snobish.  

"enVision" indicates one or more 70-Hz high-pass V60 Music Wing(s) followed by quantity of same, followed by sub make/model/quantity, e.g:
enVision2/VSS2 = stereo V60 + two VSS
enVision1/VSS1 = one V60 center speaker (HT, music or Trinaural) + one VSS.  Optional final suffix would list all speakers employed in the other channels.  (Note: Over time, as a function of value, I believe employing a V60 center may equal or exceed its popularity as a stereo pair; this point can not be overstated IMO.)

enVision2/Velodyne 18-1 = stereo V60 + one Velodyne 18" sub 
etc.

Capacitor upgrades are listed immediately after the quantity of V60, e.g:

enVision1/Auricap/VSS1 =  one V60 center speaker (HT, music or Trinaural) w/ Auricaps  + one VSS
enVision2/Auricap/VSS2 = stereo V60 w/ Auricaps + two VSS
enVision2/TRT/VLA1 = stereo V60 w/ TRT + one VLA
etc.

The prefix "Gran" is reserved for one or more V60 w/ TRT + two VLA, e.g:

Gran enVision2 = stereo V60 w/ TRT caps + two VLAs, longhand = enVision2/TRT/VLA2. 

Gran enVision3 = three V60 (HT, music or Trinaural) w/ TRT caps + two VLA, longhand = enVision3/TRT/VLA2

Or just forget "enVision" & substitute the original V60 Music Wing moniker, but keep the rest of the above prefix/suffix identifiers...

Regarding be-all end-all monikers: time goes on, progress progresses, & Brian's going to top this sooner or later.  :lol:  Don't let this delay your purchase though because this current reference really doesn't sound so bad!

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 02:57 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »

soundguy3

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2007, 08:08 pm »
How about:

"The Espial Opus Loudspeaker"    (Espial:  A taking notice of something; a discovery)

or-

"The Olympian Ideal Loudspeaker"

Fun to try and come up with a tripping-off-the-tongue name for this great speaker combo. :)

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2007, 09:06 pm »
How about:

The:    InVicta VLA-V60

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 04:27 am by John Casler »

Woodsea

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2007, 09:45 pm »
Score
1. As in the analytical (written) music
2. Score as in Slang http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=score
3. The amount of actual physical time Brian has worked on speaker building!? Can't count sleeping  :wink:

PLMONROE

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2007, 09:59 pm »
Why not? I thought he even built speakers in his sleep!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:51 am »
That's why Shirley keeps a napkin & pen on the nightstand!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:55 am »

How about:

The:    InVivcta VLA-V60

John
Delete the extra V in "InviVcta". 

I LIKE it!  "InVicta VLA V60" has some punch & savvy!  Have to redo my whole post earlier.

Can you fit in that car?  NAWT!

warnerwh

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2007, 03:19 am »
Wanna hear a good one? I thought of Invicta myself. If I remember my latin invicta means unconquerable or invincible.

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:13 am »
That is correct.

InVicta means undefeated, the Invincible

It might be a whole new series.

The InVicta

The InVincible

The InVisible...... aa
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 04:28 am by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:21 am »

How about:

The:    InVicta VLA-V60

John
Delete the extra V in "InviVcta". 

I LIKE it!  "InVicta VLA V60" has some punch & savvy!  Have to redo my whole post earlier.

Can you fit in that car?  NAWT!

Not sure if I could fit in that car or not.

Maybe we should give one of the S1 600 cars away with an InVicta VLA-V60 System aa

It fits the "6" scheme = V60 and SR1 600

That way we could sell the speakers for $165,000 and give the car as a gift.

0-60 = 3.8 sec
200+ MPH top speed

They also have SR1 420 to go with the RM40s, and SR1 320 to go with the RM30's.

I can see we will need to split this thread soon, so we can hear some more of how Paul is doing with his burning/breaking in of "his" InVicta VLA-V60.

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 06:43 am by John Casler »