my digital now sounds nearly analog! - Salk HT3's really showcase Moscode 401 HR

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
wow

I plan on doing a more in depth review of the salk ht3's here and on audiogon soon
as Wilde would say I didn't have the time to write you a short note so here's a long one

my analog setup is evolving and sounds great on the salk's
Nottingham Spacedeck with spacearm
ZYX Universe cartridge
(I'm in the middle of upgrading to a Galibier gavia table and have my new triplanar arm awaiting the table, - the analog is stellar through the salk's)

I upgraded my amp from Audio Research D200 (solid state) to the Moscode 401 HR
wow! jaw drop please!
yes I knew the speakers were great but my old amp showed some limitations now released
and the salk's display the upgrade in spades
the resolution, suspension of notes, detail, sustain, imaging, tonal quality
damn it (if I didn't have such a great cartridge - I'd swear my cd source was a high end analog source - (and I'm only using an Audio Aero Prima ($1800 cd front end)

the mark of a great speaker is that it is seemless, has no cabinet resonances, disappears in the room, images dynamically and is tonally accurate and neutral

it will show any flaws in your source material and equipment  - and be enhanced with every upgrade in the electronics and cables or isolation platforms (Silent Audio Running VR under CD, AMP, PRE)proceeding it

I'm telling you - any shortcoming you may think the Salk has (I thought it got just a little congested in the mid range on very dynamic material (turns out it was my old amp not being able to handle dynamics and not a flaw of the speakers) can't wait to spin some vinyl tonight  - pictures soon!

wow, and of course the cabinet work is beyond exquisite

even though I bought my Salk's second hand (unheard of because no one parts with them)
Jim and Dennis really treated me as if I was the original buyer and contacted the seller and asked to have them shipped to them prior to my receiving them. I was able to get a highly custom version with many extras to the woodwork - full front bubinga with rounded port hole, etc at a nice price

I couldn't be happier and this helped me justify a $17k analog upgrade which I am 3/4 s of the way to completion on - yes I want to hear all the Salk's are capable of delivering

thank you Jim and Dennis

I couldn't be more estatic!

can't wait to play these for the local N.O. Audiophile club gathering

Tom in New Orleans
audiotom

arthurs

Ditto on what Tvad said, the Dominus is a really big step up...

I had a buddy of mine's Salks over here with my Moscode for a week or so, you've got a great combination there, very exciting stuff I'd imagine   :thumb:

audiotom

• for everything music
tvad - thanks again for the moscode heads up

I have NOS 1968 Telefunken ECC88 (6922's) in the outer tube settings
and the stock currently on the inside

which tube set (inside or outside) makes the most bang per buck?

damn - that Purist audio Dominus Ferox 
a few listings on Audiogon for $950 - $1,300
new for $1,800  I'll have to wait to hear that
maybe the cable company
so the benefits are blacker blacks and more engaging and musical presentation?

I have a Harmonic Tech Pro AC11 powercord on it
so far so good

thy shall not covet thy neighbors powerchord!

arthurs

Outside tubes, the changes rolling the inside tubes are much more subtle....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
So...a few recommended 401HR upgrades:

Tubes - select one of the following according to taste and budget for the outer positions: Mullard Blackburn 12AU7, Siemens CCa (or E188CC), Amperex 6922 Pinch Waist (or 6922 PQ USA White Label).

Power cord - I find the Purist Audio Dominus Ferrox to work exceptionally well. Really tightens and adds punch to the bass. Frankly, I believe just about any 9awg power cord will be a significant upgrade on the 401HR.

I agree with Tvad on the tubes.

As for the power cord...try the Black Sand Silver Ref Mk V

I compared it against the Dominus cord and felt that the Black Sand was equal or better at a fraction of the cost.

George

audiotom

• for everything music
Black Sand pwoer cord, Mullard 12AU7's and RCA 6CG7's on the way
thanks guys for the help
I love audiogon and audiocircle

Jim - my demo setup is open for southern potential clients
the least I can do
thank you

Tom

jsalk

Tom -

Thanks.  Keep us posted on your tube rolling experiences.  I'm really curious.

- Jim