Affordable 2.1 Mostly Video System

DavidS

Affordable 2.1 Mostly Video System
« on: 3 Apr 2007, 05:55 pm »
I am thinking about moving most of my two channel system to my home office and going to an affordable 2.1 mostly video / television based system in my living room.  I have speakers I can use that I like - small monitors - Audio Note AX-2's with an AV123 rocket sub to handle bottom end.  I doubt that I will go to full surround setup anytime soon so while I know 2.1 is not ideal in the video world this will probably work for me and my living room.  What I think I need to do this is:

1.  a new affordable dvd player
2.  a receiver or I guess integrated amp - can imagine a wireless squeeze box or maybe tuner added to this in future but mostly for watching television and dvds.  Bass management might be nice - don't know much about this - probably worth noting the audio notes don't have much below 60-70hz.  The AX-2's are 90db efficient so don't need huge power and sub is powered.
3.  a flat screen tv - thinking 32 to 40 inch tops

What advice do you have for me.  Find all the formats confusing.  My budget is pretty limited - guessing I will spend most of my money on a tv ($600 to $1,000).

David

Bob Reynolds

Re: Affordable 2.1 Mostly Video System
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2007, 10:39 pm »
I suggest you locate a DVD player with SRS TruSurround. That technology has pleased me with 2.1 for DVDs. My first Pioneer DVD player had it (4 years ago). It seems to be getting difficult to find. I know that some Denon and Marantz players have it. I'm guessing the additional licensing fee has kept it from the entry level players.

I think you'll need to high pass your monitors so your comment about bass management is right on. The Outlaw receiver, I think, has 2 channel bass management. Your sub may already provide a high pass filter for the satellites.

Get the largest 16 x 9 screen you can based on your viewing distance.