Ref 9.02 to Ref 9 SE - my upgrade journey

mcullinan

Re: Ref 9.02 to Ref 9 SE - my upgrade journey
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2007, 08:17 pm »
Tim,
I want a full report double spaced on your experiences, every detail from did the amps make you brush your teeth more to unexplained nudity in public spaces because of Nuforce upgrades... by 9pm EST(joking)

Anyways I would think they need a break in period as all the inside components are new... maybe 100 hours?
Mike aa :D :)

timothyharnett

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2007, 10:25 pm »
Tim,
I want a full report double spaced on your experiences, every detail from did the amps make you brush your teeth more to unexplained nudity in public spaces because of Nuforce upgrades... by 9pm EST(joking)

Anyways I would think they need a break in period as all the inside components are new... maybe 100 hours?
Mike aa :D :)

The power supply is the same apparently.  Straight out of the box, not much different but after a day, there were significant improvements.  They run hotter and I'm tending to leave them off between listening.  Whether mIne are fully run in, I can't say but they don't seem to be changing much.

I'd say it´s worth it although it is more expensive in the UK to get the work done than it is in the US.

mcullinan

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2007, 11:32 pm »
Power supply is different no? Thats the V2 board. Also you got the SE which includes the fancy other whatchamacallit.
hehe.
Mike

timothyharnett

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:38 am »
Power supply is different no? Thats the V2 board. Also you got the SE which includes the fancy other whatchamacallit.
hehe.
Mike

Unless the description I got was wrong, no. The power supply is the same one although it's slightly modded/connected slightly differently in some small way to get extra power. In addition there is the new amp board and the board with the caps on it which you see in the pictures.

togil

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:47 am »
Did you say you got the work done in the UK ? I have had no response from my dealer re possible upgrade and Hiaudio's website doesn't mention it yet.

timothyharnett

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2007, 11:54 am »
Did you say you got the work done in the UK ? I have had no response from my dealer re possible upgrade and Hiaudio's website doesn't mention it yet.

Yep, I'm in the UK too.  I got it done directly with Hiaudio although I originally bought the amps through Angelsound.  I went this route on Angelsound's advice. 

It was done pretty quickly.  I think they were available about four days after they got the amps which is pretty good.

mcullinan

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jun 2007, 01:10 pm »
Tim,
Your spendors are floorstanding or bookshelf? And you are saying you dont notice much of a difference besides RFI...
M

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jun 2007, 01:56 pm »
SE customers already paid a premium for it so their upgrade price is much lower than Ref 9. Besides replacing the amp board, the power supply will be modified to provide 500W of power with increased current (the supply voltage is still 52V), which help to drive those current hungry speakers.
We don't make much money on SE upgrade as you can imagine your hard earned upgrade $ has to be shared by dealer, distributor and Nuforce.   :(

The idle power consumption is still the same, about 15W.  It feels hotter because the heatsink is now touching the top cover for better heat dissipation.

timothyharnett

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:51 pm »
Tim,
Your spendors are floorstanding or bookshelf? And you are saying you dont notice much of a difference besides RFI...
M

Hello M

They're old fashioned BBC style  standmounts actually but there's no bookshelf I know that would accomodate them!  Currently, they're on duty with the Leak ST20 & I'm actually using Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 with the Nuforce which are higher in resolution and are in current production www.stirlingbroadcast.net.  Are you also using Spendors?  I like the BC1 with the Nuforce more than I like the SP1.

No, I'm definitely NOT saying that.  Perhaps I expressed myself badly.  There was a very large difference in sound quality but only after they'd run in for at least a day. RFI was important enough on it's own to warrant the change - the significant sonic improvement is a bonus.

It's nice to be able to really recommend these amps without qualification now where I wouldn't have found that possible before. 

mcullinan

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:01 pm »
Tim,
Right now I am using a pair of Monitor Audio RS6, I also have a pair of Epos M5, previously I owned a pair of Quad 22Ls. I use the MAs with an Audible Illusions Mod3A with Bugle Boy Tubes, LAvry DA10 Dac, Squeezebox 3(all music, Apple Lossless), Velodyne HGS-12, Blue Jean interconnects and BiWire.

I do have a soft spot for British speakers... Ive heard the Spendors and really like their sound...
Though the M5s made me delirious. The MAs have such a great balance and fantastic upper end with detail, though Im moving on to Merlin VSM-MXs, my 1st high high end purchase besides the Nuforces.
Mike

togil

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:07 pm »
We don't make much money on SE upgrade as you can imagine your hard earned upgrade $ has to be shared by dealer, distributor and Nuforce.   Sad

Well clearly the UK dealers aren't making any money on it as timothyharnett has had to go to the distributor directly and my dealer has been unco-operative.

timothyharnett

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:26 pm »
We don't make much money on SE upgrade as you can imagine your hard earned upgrade $ has to be shared by dealer, distributor and Nuforce.   Sad

Well clearly the UK dealers aren't making any money on it as timothyharnett has had to go to the distributor directly and my dealer has been unco-operative.

I wasn't really forced towards the distributor.  I had a conversation with the dealer and we all agreed that was just the best way to go.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 9 Jun 2007, 06:07 am »
The distributor has to share the profit with the dealer.  In UK case, I believe Angel Sound is no longer a dealer so that's a special case. Angel Sound was our dealer before the UK distributor took over and the rest is a long story that I am not very clear about the details.