A question about placement of Cary Audio CD player and Amp??

Chops

One of my audiophile friends just bought a Cary Audio 306/200 CD transport and an SLI-80 integrated amp. He asked me last night if it would cause any problems placing the amp on top of the cd transport.

My question is, would there be a problem?

I told him that if the power and output transformers created any type of magnetic field, I wasn't sure if that might cause any interference with the electronic components in the transport.

Does anyone here have any ideas if this or any other things might cause any interference with the transport?

Chops

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2003, 05:07 pm »
Here's a couple pictures just for the heck of it, and because they are so damn beautiful looking!  :mrgreen:

Chops

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2003, 04:23 am »
Nobody can think of any reason why not to do this?!  :?

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2003, 04:49 am »
It will work.  I have my Radii tube amp on top of a Pioneer DVD player (which doesn't have the internal shielding of the Cary - I've seen the insides of my Cary cdp) and functionality is not affected.  That said, this sort of placement is not optimal as vibrations from the cd player will transmitted up to the amp.  The fields from the transfomers can't help either.  Your friend has high quality, expensive components and should get a good rack or at least put Tenderfeet (or better yet, the taller Combat Boot) isolation footers between the 2 to soak up vibrations.

Brad V

Re: A question about placement of Cary Audio CD player and A
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2003, 11:57 am »
Quote from: Chops
One of my audiophile friends just bought a Cary Audio 306/200 CD transport and an SLI-80 integrated amp. He asked me last night if it would cause any problems placing the amp on top of the cd transport.

My question is, would there be a problem?

I told him that if the power and output transformers created any type of magnetic field, I wasn't sure if that might cause any interference with the electronic components in the transport.

Does anyone here have any ideas if this or any other things might cause any interference with the transport?

Hi,

It's not a good idea to stack them. If you have access to a Stethoscope, you can easily see how it's not a good idea. Stack the equipment and listen to the units when powered on and not playing music, as well as playing music. Listen to each unit. Then separate them and you should hear the difference. With them stacked, you will get noise/vibration from each unit. Also, stacking will place the weight on the bottom unit. This can be a good thing to certain parts of the music or a bad thing. Some people experiment with putting weights on top of their CD Player. Placing the weights at different places can affect the sound your hearing.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Hantra

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2003, 01:25 pm »
This can be a good thing to certain parts of the music or a bad thing. Some people experiment with putting weights on top of their CD Player. Placing the weights at different places can affect the sound your hearing.

IMO, I have never heard a positive effect from adding weight to a CDP, or any piece of gear.  If you add weight, it may help to dampen a part of the chassis, but it also helps increase the potential energy storage in the unit.  Weight also decreases the resonant frequency, thereby causing the component to vibrate longer when it does vibrate.  It's less likely to release any vibration quickly with the added weight.  

I am sure you will hear a difference, but I would bet that it doesn't sound more like music.  I find that it slows things down, and creates a time issue.  The other day, my friend Steve and I were playing around, and I put a maple slab on top of my transport.  It was almost like Alison Kraus was drunk, and slurring. . .  

BTW, to answer the initial question, a CD transport creates the most chaotic vibration of any component, so please don't put any other components on it. . .  Even a DAC. . .

B

cyounkman

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2003, 05:40 pm »
I would definitely agree with Hantra that a transport is the worst component to stack something else on. If it's absolutely necessary, I would recommend inserting a plinth between them coupled with isolation devices of some sort.

i.e.:
   -          Amp
    --          vibrapods (or other soft footer)
      -       rigid plinth (or isolation platform)
       --       vibrapods (or whatever)
          -   CD Player

You may find that v'pods or other soft footers 'soften' the sound of the amp; but if you really can't put the amp on a different stand, this will sound better than putting it right on top of the cd player.

Another option: someone posted a link to a Dodd Audio magnetic levitation platform somewhere around here. Something like it, that physically decouples the component, would probably be a good idea.

Or couple the two components with a vibration sink using lead shot.

hmen

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2003, 10:39 pm »
If you have to stack the amp and cdp because of space considerations I suggest that you use some type of isolation device between them. Aside from it's effect on the sound (which is kind of subjective), the vibrations will definitely increase wear and tear on your tubes and force you to change them more often.