best tubes for Eico HF-81

gobet@shaw.ca

best tubes for Eico HF-81
« on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:08 pm »
I understand the Eico HF-81 came with Mullards. What would be an upgrade?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: best tubes for Eico HF-81
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:54 pm »
Not sure if you're going to get any better than NOS Mullards, what kind of tubes are we talking about?

mrdon

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2007, 11:24 am »
Since I can't afford all Mullards, here's my tube compliment after experimenting with different tubes:
Zenith EZ81
RCA 12au7 Clear tops
Ei 12ax7's
Amperex (Holland) EL84

gobet@shaw.ca

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2007, 12:56 pm »
Thanks for the info.What is your overall impression of the Eico sound? I recently acquired my unit and am still assessing why i find the sound so appealing.I am using inexpensive Monster speaker wire right now, any advise on a good cable?Gord

shooter

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2007, 11:19 pm »
the Eico hf-81 is a wonderful little amp, the power supply caps probably need to be address if it hasn't already, I have also replace all the electrolitic cathode caps too. use better coupling cap will inprove the resolution but will change the vintage sound somewhat, I use Russian paper in oil caps in mine. They are driving a pair of Quad ESL 57 right now, very musical.

vman71

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:39 pm »
In my Eico HF-81, I have had really good results with my current tube compliment:

Telefunken 12ax7 smooth plates (early 60's)
Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 (early 60's)
RCA 6ca4
Amperex EL84 (early 60's)

I think the vintage tubes do sound better and I prefer the European tubes over the American tubes.

The most important thing to do is, to have your HF-81 looked over and replace out-of-spec components and go with some better parts.  Reference the following link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

gobet@shaw.ca

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:24 pm »
Thanks VMAN for the info on tubes for Eico. The unit i have was built from a kit in the early 60's by a gent who was going to send it to the the trash. By a strock of luck a friend who was doing some renovations for this gent took the Eico off his hands and gave it to me. Not being familiar with vintage gear i searched the web and was surprised to find it is highly regarded. The unit to my eyes looked in pretty good shape so i took it to a shop in Winnipeg where it was tested, cleaned up and lubed. A tube and two capacitors were replaced. On first hearing i knew i would be keeping this integrated amp. I am using it with JM Reynaud Twin Signature speakers, Shanling T-80 cd or Arcam Alpha 9 cd players and Analysis Plus wire. The Eico replaced a Unison Research Unico. I forsee a long relationship with this piece of gear. Gordon