To biwire or not

dart6

To biwire or not
« on: 30 Mar 2007, 04:35 am »
Hi I'm wanting to know if it's worth biwiring my Continuum 2.5s or is it just a waste of $s, what do you guys find cheers Brett

dart6

Re: To biwire or not
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2007, 12:00 am »
Bob i've sent mail but it's gone in your spam cheers Brett

Karsten

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2007, 11:40 am »
I would prefer to spend the money on one set of good singlewire cable.

Regards,
Karsten

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2007, 02:18 pm »
I biwire/vertical biamp my Timepieces 2.1's and get very good results.  In the future I will be experimenting with different cables.  Now I use Odyssey Groneberg cables for the high and Zu Wax for the low.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2007, 12:26 am »
Brett,

I see advantages going either way.  It partially depends on the amount of power you have available and consequently, how much headroom your amps provide.  Christof found what I believe to be a workable solution.  This is one of those instances where the only way to know for sure is to experiment.  The speakers will surely tell you the truth, one way or the other.  Rest assured, as far as I'm concerned the theory is definitely sound and wouldn't be a waste of time to experiment with.

By the way, I sent you an e-mail about the upgrade.  Your old parts are here and I was wondering how far you wanted to go with this.  If you're at all interested in going the "Ultimate Mundorf" route, now would be the time to decide before I get the standard Mundorf crossovers built for them.  No hurry.  Just let me know when you get a chance.

Take care, :D
-Bob

smargo

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:27 am »
Hi I'm wanting to know if it's worth biwiring my Continuum 2.5s or is it just a waste of $s, what do you guys find cheers Brett

Yes - you must experiment - i have biwired for years thinking the sound thru my speakers was very good (different speakers) - now i recently went to single wiring and the sound iam getting is so much more integrated and natural - de[ends on where your at audio wise - yet if someone gave me a convincing argument for biwiring i would go back to trying it again.

Regards,
smargo

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2007, 06:53 am »
I finally decided to configure my canare 4s11 for biwiring my AV-2 and although I can't really push volumes since it's midnight, my initial impressions are a big  :thumb:

I sure wish I could A/B this thing.  Now I know some of this is placebo because one of my first impressions is that the bass is actually up in level compared to before, and that goes against the theory, doesn't it?  :dunno: 

In any case, it cost me nothing except a little time, given the canare 4s11 starquad config.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2007, 07:26 am by ooheadsoo »

Turnandcough

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:14 pm »
Not.

smargo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:15 pm »
I finally decided to configure my canare 4s11 for biwiring my AV-2 and although I can't really push volumes since it's midnight, my initial impressions are a big  :thumb:

initial impressions are good - but more significant and real are you impressions after 3weeks to 1 month - let us know if everything is really integrated then or are you just getting more bass and treble.

smargo

Turnandcough

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:55 pm »
I found that what initially sounded like an improvement eventually began to annoy me. There was a sort of incoherence in the sound - hard to describe. But I'm back to single wire config. Bi-amp may be a different story but then again I've read that for it to really work crossovers should be bypassed. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2007, 05:55 pm »

initial impressions are good - but more significant and real are you impressions after 3weeks to 1 month - let us know if everything is really integrated then or are you just getting more bass and treble.

smargo

I'm afraid I'm not a huge huge believer in long term impressions.  When differences are small, I think 90% of it will show up most clearly in a A/B test, best of all blind or dbl blind A/B.  Sometimes you can hear things that you eventually decide bugs you to hell, but never good things.  I've never come away months after changing my system with new good impressions of the change - only new bad impressions.  All good impressions were pretty much made in the first few encounters.  Since I used to use my ears critically every day in school, I long ago realized how fallible our hearing memory is.  IMO.  Maybe some of you guys have a "golden ear." 

The best I can say right now is that it didn't hurt.  I'll do some more tests in a bit.

smargo

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2007, 06:58 pm »
In certain aspects - i agree with what your saying about long term impressions - however thats why i think audio components are over-rated in general. The longer you listen to a component the worse it generally sounds.

Am i allowed to say that?

smargo