Has anyone heard or purchased Bose's in-ear $100 headphones?

gooberdude

I had to start a new thread for this....Bose has a pair of in-ear headphones that sell for $100.   A buddy came over last night with his pair & an Ipod Video.    Has anyone tried these?   they sound incredible.

I have the Shure E4c's, which i thought were good.    The Bose's cost $200 less and simply blow the E4c's away in every category.

i've never pimped Bose but they have a real winner here.   The ear plugs are funky too, they don't seal in your ear...you can hear others & outside noise.   The plugs come in 3 sizes, i used the Medium and they seemed fine. 

Probably not the best for hardcore physical activity since they don't get sucked into your ear canal...but just for listening I was most impressed.  Its as if there was a tight subwoofer in your ear, and the rest of the spectrum is sweet & controlled as well. 

In terms of power required to make them sing, I could turn the Ipod up all the way and not be blasted.  The E4c's perform about the same way, but seem to suck up more juice...not quite as sensitive as the Bose.    this is just going by ear though, i could be way off, but i think the Bose work real well with a stock Ipod Video.   My E4c's feel like they would like/need a bit more juice than Ipod can deliver.

I don't think plugs like the E4c's are for me.  the seal that is required to get proper sound is hard to achieve, and even harder to keep in place.   the Bose are wild in that they loosely fit inside your ear canal yet make a dance party in there 24/7.

Since i just got my Ipod modd'ed i don't have a pressing need for earphones, but my E4c's are going up for sale ASAP.     

robert1325

Re: Has anyone heard or purchased Bose's in-ear $100 headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 03:20 pm »
Also , have a look at the V-moda vibes,    they look like normal In ear canal phones but do not need a real seal  :thumb:

Sound is smooth and quite warm/full... Very enjoyable with rock , electronic and jazz....

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2007, 03:25 pm »
I'd never heard of these, thanks for the info, they sound very interesting.

a few places list them for $75.

the Bose 'phones are plastic.  very cool that V-moda touts a metal body.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2007, 05:57 pm »
I've never been able to get those 'ear buds' to stay in my ear.

Kinda funny you bring this up, I just got off the phone with Ivy at Headroom. I was ordering a pair of the new Shure SE210 in ear's. According to those guys, these are a fairly affordable, good sounding alternative to the 4c's. Once upon a time I had some Etymotic ER-4S's for a while. I really liked them but they are way too expensive to use when I'm on my lawnmower cutting grass.

I figured I'd give the Shures a try. I'll be mating them to my 60gig iAUDIO X5 portable FLAC player.

Jade East

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2007, 11:01 pm »
The JVC fx-55 is quite a sleeper as well available.
You can probably get them for about $20 online.

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2007, 11:51 pm »

never heard the fx-55; i own and love the fx-33, though, jvc makes pretty good earphones for the budget-constrained.

with that says, the bose in-ears are waaaay better than their other stuff. i don't think that really says much about bose - i think it says just how easy it is to make an iem, what with pretty much every company using the same knowles acoustics armature drivers...  :roll:

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2007, 05:08 pm »
I got the feeling they could be sold for $30-$40 too, but they do sound awesome.  inspiring really.  I've been able to A-B them with my E4c's, there's no comparison as to which i like better.   my E4c's sold on ebay in 2 days...

the E4c's are slow & kinda lifeless to my ears.   Bose just let it all through.  what am i saying?  ha!

It might also be that an Ipod isn't the best way to test headphones...  but, since that's where i use 'm the synergy has to be there.  and its there with the B*se.   :duh:

robert1325

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2007, 05:25 pm »

I have the fx-55 and the V-moda Vibes....  There's no comparison :

FX-55

Pro:  Lot's of details, tight lower end
Cons:   Thin, Splashy highs, Sound cheap

V-moda vibes

Pro: Nice balance, Smooth highs, Warm mids, Punchy low-end
Cons : Could be a bit more extended at both freq, extremes

The v-moda have some soundstage ,and can surprise you with dynamics.  I really like them for jazz ,  soul .. .stuff that needs some warmth.    They do most music quite well.         

The JVC's  can be very good with electronic music , and poppy stuff. 

Robert