AppleTV is in the house!

yertletheturtle

AppleTV is in the house!
« on: 26 Mar 2007, 05:24 pm »
I have spent the last 3 days getting to know my new appleTV.  This much awaited little appliance just arrived on Friday 3/23 at the apple store on Fifth avenue.  I was there for a macbook repair and picked one up to try.  I wanted to share my impressions/ surprises/realizations with you all....

setup was easy, although it comes with NO  connection cables.  Also, it only supports widescreen monitors or TVs.  Also, surprisingly, there is no supported adapter for connecting an apple cinema display with its built-in dvi cable to the device. 

Anyway, on the plus side, the toslink output is not a mini toslink like Airport express or mac mini, and there is separate analog audio out (havent tried it yet).  The sound (so far) is great.  i dont notice any difference over the AEX digital output (I have everything  in Apple Lossless, going to paradisea dac via glass toslink, then signature 30 to omega super 3 hemps).  Apart from the obvious advantages of having the visual interface for your music as compared to the AEX, there is the additional advantage of being able to control your digital media independently of the main computer.  {Yes I could do that before by controlling the speakers with my laptop).  One notable downside to this is that the appleTV will not appear on the remote speaker list of iTunes and thus will not play simultaneously with other speaker set-ups in the house.  I have 3 other AEX stations which will play in unison, the bedroom system is now off that circuit.  Also, I have yet to fully understand/realize the potential of the internal harddrive.  The device will comfortably access all your media on your computer and connected drives, so why have an internal drive which is the most likely part to go bad?  Perhaps for purchasing purposes?? Perhaps to house the Mac OSX which the system is built around.  Anyway, when seting up it automatically asks you which iTunes (library) you want to sync with.  It took me a while to realize that "sync" means copy all files.  a little bit of exploring in iTunes preferences and the appleTV device settings (on iTunes) fixed that.  I now have close to nothing on the harddrive, just some photo albums for the screen saver. 

An alternative to appleTV may well be a dedicated mac Mini.  You get a bult in dvd drive, larger harddrive and a full fledged computer, similar Front Row interface, same remote, but no 811.n streaming (mine is connected by ethernet cable anyway) . Used they go for $400ish. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: AppleTV is in the house!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:30 am »
I would say that any features and limitations this device has (40GB hard drive, cannot control volume with Apple TV remote control?, no surround sound) are there to encourage lots of purchases from iTunes!
iTunes has no HD content at this time.

In general this is the same kind of business model you can see with the XBox 360 and the PS3, but they do have HD content, since HD is part of the point for these gaming systems.

From the looks of things, Apple makes it somewhat complicated to watch content that does not come from iTunes. Much of the video content you would want to watch will have to be purchased from iTunes or encoded to  either H.264 or MPEG-4 video with these specs:

- H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps)
 - MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps)

Eventually iTunes will have HD content, and the Apple TV has HD capability, but it will come via updates.

The whole concept of HTPCs and HD content is a mess right now on the PC side also. You cannot buy Cable Cards (required for HD copy protected content) to build your own PC based HTPC - you have to buy a branded HD HTPC at this time.

Getting what we want is very difficult thanks to the recording, motion picture and TV industries.

tvyankee

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:43 am »
hey

Can you control apple tv with you laptop and not with a remote?

yertletheturtle

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:50 am »
hey

Can you control apple tv with you laptop and not with a remote?
no.   it is meant to be connected to your tv, so you have a visual interface. 

ALSO.  volume cannot be controlled from apple remote.  only from system/tv/preamp volume control

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:51 am »
I don't think so, but I will let yertletheturtle confirm.

I do think there will be lots of hacks for the Apple TV in the future, so it is probably not out of the question

The Apple TV is a lot like an iPod - frustrating for a videophile/audiophile/geek who wants it to do what it might be capable of -

- but fun and appealing for the simple functions that it is designed for (including spending lots of money on content).

tvyankee

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2007, 04:05 am »
hey

Sorry guys but i spoke to soon and asked a dumb question.of course you hack apple tv because its a computer.i surffed around alittle and came up with this.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/03/27/apple-tv-running-on-a-macbook/