SW-12 subwoofer questions.

WallyWest

SW-12 subwoofer questions.
« on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:01 pm »
I'm thinking of building a pair of these to replace my current sub.  But I have a few noobish questions.

If possible I'd like to tune it a little lower, say around 16hz or so.  Correct me if I'm wrong but making the enclosure a little bigger, and/or adding a little mass to the PR could accomplish this.  The suggested enclosure is 2.4 cubic feet, how much bigger could/should you go?  I don't want to compromise the sound quality. 

My other question is about power.  I have an external two channel amp, 500 watt's per channel, driving my current sub.  It does have gain control, -80db - 0db.  Would this be too much amp? 

Wally

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: SW-12 subwoofer questions.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 09:17 pm »
I just ran the numbers on it and here is what I got.

You can go as large as 3.2 cubic feet and tune the Fs of the PR from 12.2Hz (where it is now) to 10.5Hz (I don't know how much mass you would have to add to get it there).

What happens is that you give up 3db of output across the board and the F6 is now the new F3 which will be 15.7Hz. When it turns the corner at 17Hz it falls like a rock.

You will also give up some power handling in the 20 to 30Hz range and it could allow you to exceed its mechanical limits before reaching its thermal limits.

You could easily run 4 of these subs off of that amp. It is plenty of power. Headroom is a good thing but you also have enough to over driver them so caution is recommended.

WallyWest

Re: SW-12 subwoofer questions.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2007, 01:41 am »
Thanks Danny.  I'll play around with cabinet designs.  Will it be ok in a downward firing configuration?  I know the PR has to be vertical.