No longer waiting for my new Timepiece 2.1's.....

Christof

No longer waiting for my new Timepiece 2.1's.....
« on: 25 Mar 2007, 02:15 pm »
About two years ago I had the opportunity, through a mutual friend, to meet Bob Smith and visit his SP Tech facility.  This meeting turned out to be both a curse and blessing for me.  I consider meeting Bob the blessing, he is one of those people who sincerely likes what he does and his products reflect this.  A furniture designer/builder, who I respect very much, once said that "...the understanding eye sees the Makers fingerprints".  On rare occasions throughout my life I run into individuals whos "fingerprint" I am able to recognize.  Bob is, without a doubt, one of these individuals.  For this I am blessed to have crossed his path. 

Now, I must confess to the curse of our meeting.  At our first meeting, Bob tried to hide nothing and threw his trump.  I sat and listened to a pair of Revelations powered by a little Belles amp in his makeshift listening area for about an hour.  During this time I experienced music in a way that I did not know was possible outside of playing it myself or hearing it performed right in front of me.   As a side note, I must confess that I am a relatively green audiophile.  My knowledge of why this speaker does this and that speaker does that because of first order this and 4th order that is nill.  I am a bit curious but I am not going to make a career of it.  I operate woodworking equipment on a daily basis and certainly do not have a "golden ear".  I judge the quality of sound by the level or feeling of intimacy it creates between myself and the musician(s).  In Bob's listening area I heard music reproduced in such a way that I was able to feel or hear the musicians "finger print", this was the most intimate experience that I've ever had with music pumped through audio equipment.  This is an extrememly difficult feeling to put into words and must be experienced first hand.  I closed my eyes, the speakers disappeared and Edgar Meyer was standing right in front of me playing Chello.  David Grisman was seated playing mandolin there, IN the room with us. The sound quality was hair raising.  So there lies the curse, I learned at that moment that a speaker CAN reproduce that "fingerprint" of emotion which I only felt would be avaliable through a live performance, at least Bob Smith's speakers can.  I will now forever look for this quality when I listen to speakers and likely be let down. This  experience was not unlike tasting a wonderful wine for the first time, nothing else will be the same.  It's been 2 years of waiting and soon the wait will be over. 

Pictures and details to follow in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2007, 11:33 pm by Christof »

Double Ugly

Re: Waiting for my Timepieces.....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2007, 04:09 pm »
Congrats, Chris!  All of the following apply -    :bounce: :rock: :beer: :hyper: :dance: :banana piano:

I'm surprised you didn't wait and pull the trigger for a pair of Revelations, but at the same time, I understand completely.  After all, I'm the guy who purchased *two* pair of Timepieces before finally getting Revelations.

What comprises the rest of your system?

-Jim

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:24 pm »
Because of the considerable expense of my loft/gallery renovation I was only able to set aside enough $ for the Timepiece 2.1's in studio finish.  I would not be surprised to find a pair of Rev's in my listening room in the next year or two.  The other equipment that will comprise my system is as follows:

Analog -> Project Perspective TT  & Clearaudio Micro Basic pre
Digital -> iMac G5 w/ ext HD's -> Firestone FubarII USB Dac w/ PS ->Zu Warmouth IC -> Electrocompaniet passive pre -> Zu Warmouth IC's-> Odyssey Audio Khartago mono's->Zu Wax cables-> TimePiece 2.1's

My listening room is big 22' deep x 47' wide x 13' tall

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:47 pm »
Whatever became of the custom 3-way you were kicking around
a few months back?

I'm sure you'll be happy with the 2.1's

I enjoy my AV-2 Presence speakers.

cheers

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2007, 11:51 pm »
Having heard the S-9, I believe that the Timepiece is on a different plane than the AV-2.  Definitely "family" sound, though.  Congrats!

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2007, 01:56 am »
Whatever became of the custom 3-way you were kicking around
a few months back?

The 3-way design will be completed soon and handed over to me to build.  I am sure they will both be wonderful speakers but when given the opportunity to grab a pair of the old (studio finished baffle) Timepieces at a discount I could not pass.  Bob's waveguides are something special as any of you who have heard them can attest to.

In addition to my home/loft I am constructing a 2000sq.ft gallery on the main level of my building which will have it's own audio system/listening room.  Once the gallery is completed I intend to extend an open invitation to AC members to swing by for libations and a listening session.

Christof

Re: No longer waiting for my new Timepiece 2.1's.....
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:45 pm »
My new Timepiece 2.1's were completed last night, thanks Bob :thumb:

I will need to spend some time with these before I can really give a good description of my overall impressions.  I will say that in the little time I spent with them today I was left windering how in hell Bob can take a little dome tweeter and Seas Aluminum driver and make it sound so big? 

ooheadsoo

Re: No longer waiting for my new Timepiece 2.1's.....
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2007, 09:29 am »
That's exactly what I thought when I heard the s-9, and those use a pair of 6.5" woofs.  I've heard actives play big like that, and big giant speakers play big like that, I just don't know how Bob does it with such relatively small boxes and drivers.  It's amazing.