Suggest a new set of Headphones

Antman27

Suggest a new set of Headphones
« on: 25 Mar 2007, 02:54 am »
Hello all ,I am looking for a pair of  headphones for home use that are comfortable and have good lows .
Lookin on the cheep say $50-75
any suggestions ?

vinylkid58

Re: Suggest a new set of Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2007, 03:11 am »
Try a used pair of AKG K240 phones if you don't mind the size, they are good. I've had a pair for a long time.

Jeff

EdT

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2007, 05:54 am »
For that price range I can only recommend Koss Porta Pros or Grado SR60 that are audiophile grade

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2007, 06:00 am »
You might look around this thread....... :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2007, 06:30 am »
If you can stretch to $120, I would suggest this set of Sennheisers, if you want comfort and open back (you didn't say):
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/full-size/sennheiser-hd-555.php

If you want closed back for $100, I would say the Sennheiser 280 PROs, although the fit is a little tight:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/full-size/sennheiser-hd-280-pro.php

For smaller on ear types I recommend the Sennheiser PX100 for comfort (weightless) and portability if you don't mind folding it up. Sounds very good, too, but not quite in the same league as the Grado SR60 in that you can't crank it up as much. I find the Grado uncomfortable after an hour - annoying, even, where I could wear the Senns almost indefinitely ($50):
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earpad/sennheiser-px-100.php

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:41 pm »
px100 and sr60 are definitely your best options in that pricerange. i prefer the sr60 but i'm a certified grado whore.

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2007, 09:02 pm »
What do you plan to run them with?  An Ipod, receiver, dedicated headphone amp, etc?

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2007, 09:22 pm »
...i prefer the sr60 but i'm a certified grado whore.

Hey!

:lol: You know I've been using my Grado SR60 since 1996, now with new donut foam. I've been using it with a varieties of equipments from portables, PowerBook laptop, to late night listening driven by EL84 SE amp in my Akai R2R deck.  :D

BTW... a little story about Grado's people. About a year after I bought my SR60 I broke one of the fork like plastic that hold the driver assembly. I was in my last term of High School and I was using the SR60 with my portable MD player almost daily and was pretty rough with it  :icon_lol: Since they are in Brooklyn I wrote them a letter told them that I like my SR60 but broke that part and asked how much will it cost to get replacement part. To my surprise a week later the UPS guy drop off a little box and inside there is the replacment plastic fork! :o With a hand written note on my letter that said "Enjoy your SR60" Nice people over there. :D I don't know they are still do that today but that was a very nice of them to sent me the plastic fork.

Anyway you know I don't think I will ever sell or part with my SR60 even if I got a new headphone.... of which most likely to be another Grado... the new  GS-1000 would be nice :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2007, 03:03 am »
I'm a comfort nut, so I would suggest Sennheiser overall. In comparison, I think that Grado is phenom in regards to clarity and a crisp high end vs Sennheiser. However, Grados make me think of cheese graters on my ears and the comfort level is low for me.

I've been immersed in head-fi for many months so color me a fan.

Mark